Israel V Scotland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Israel V Scotland

Caledonian Craig

Discuss our second qualifying match here.....

Surprised to hear Kevin Gallacher thinking a draw in Israel would be a decent result - surely not? We need to go for the win and we can do that by being more dynamic and quicker in attack and hopefully this can be achieved by playing Tierney in a more advanced position. I'd be tempted to go for a 4-4-2 with something like this:-

Marshall

O'Donnell    Hendry    Hanley    Robertson

McTominay    Armstrong    Tierney

McGinn

Adams    Christie

Thoughts?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Discuss our second qualifying match here.....

Surprised to hear Kevin Gallacher thinking a draw in Israel would be a decent result - surely not? We need to go for the win and we can do that by being more dynamic and quicker in attack and hopefully this can be achieved by playing Tierney in a more advanced position. I'd be tempted to go for a 4-4-2 with something like this:-

Marshall

O'Donnell    Hendry    Hanley    Robertson

Fraser    McTominay    Armstrong    Tierney

Adams    Christie

Thoughts?

No McGinn?

1 minute ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Fourth time in six months playing them six times in just 29 months.

we do tend to struggle against them 

Agreed but that is because they sit in and defend in numbers. We are not a prolific goal-scoring side and do not slice defences open at will. We prefer to play on the counter but Israel do not play ball as they put so much into sitting deep. They are well-organised and tough to put away and even Denmark didn't finish them off until into the final quarter of the match. Denmark used their pace on the attack to great effect - something we must do. We must also be clinical when handed half chances.

In isolation a draw in Israel would be a decent result, but after Denmark won there yesterday and we failed to beat Austria, I think we're probably going to need to win there now if we're realistic about qualifying.

I watched some of their game against Denmark and the Danes played mainly on the counter. Like Diamond Scot said, Israel struggled against Brathwaite's pace; I can only think of Oli Burke as having that same kind of searing pace and, of course, he isn't in the squad.  Is Adams particularly fast, does anyone know?

So Kevin Gallacher thinks a draw will be a good result does he - clueless.  Since the Serbia game I’ve been really p**sed off with us not capitalising on chances. We’re more than a match for Slovakia, Israel and Austria last night in certain areas of the pitch. That game was there for the win last night.We’ve got to sort out the final 3rd and start converting. We’ve got players at Man U, arsenal and Liverpool (and villa/Southampton) we’re playing relatively well so let’s start winning. 18 points from Israel, faroes and Moldova and nothing less. Sick of not winning games we should be winning.

12 minutes ago, JECK said:

So Kevin Gallacher thinks a draw will be a good result does he - clueless.  Since the Serbia game I’ve been really p**sed off with us not capitalising on chances. We’re more than a match for Slovakia, Israel and Austria last night in certain areas of the pitch. That game was there for the win last night.We’ve got to sort out the final 3rd and start converting. We’ve got players at Man U, arsenal and Liverpool (and villa/Southampton) we’re playing relatively well so let’s start winning. 18 points from Israel, faroes and Moldova and nothing less. Sick of not winning games we should be winning.

Gallacher giving clear evidence as to why a route into management was never an option for him. 

Honestly last 3 games have been infuriating, the Slovakia game after the Serbia game in particular. The ref didn’t help last night either but f**k me we should of won last night. The way we started the game suggested the players were a bit unsure of themselves but once they got going they were more than a match I thought. They’re class players and I feel they’re not believing it as much as they should. 

Marshall

Hendry.    Hanley.   Robertson

Odonnell    Mctominay. Mcgregor.  Tierney

Mcginn

Adams.     Fraser

Cant watch Robertson struggle against Dasa again so I would play Tierney Lwb. Think it might actually suit Robbo to play Lcb as he can still occasionally get forward and time his runs better. 

McGinn further forward so bring Mcgregor back. Thought Odonnell had a good game last night although final ball always hit first man but he keeps his place. 

Time to give Adams a start and get him playing on shoulder of last defender. Fraser in for pace to get in behind and to take on defenders and win free kicks also. 

Main worry is keeping Zahavi and Solomon quiet. 

Marshall 

McKenna  -  Gallagher  -  Hanley

Hendry                                  Robertson 

McTominay  -  Tierney

McGinn

Dykes  -  Christie

(To the emoji bomber: Thanks for making me third most popular TAMBer of all time! Definitely not leaving now. Thanks)

Edited by Taylor1996

10 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Chances are that I'll make at least three more edits. For som reason I'm not comfortable playing Gallagher... and yet I am. He was outstanding last season, despite not being a big name.

Well the good thing is we have multiple options now in various positions aside from upfront. I am pretty comfortable about who plays in the defence now whether it be Hendry, Hanley, Gallagher, McKenna, Tierney or Considine.

5 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Marshall 

McKenna  -  Gallagher  -  Hanley

Hendry                                  Robertson 

McTominay  -  Tierney

McGinn

Dykes  -  Christie

(To the emoji bomber: Thanks for making me third most popular TAMBer of all time! Definitely not leaving now. Thanks)

6 defenders? 7 if you see McTominay as a defence option as well. If we were about to play France, you might be onto something.

I think the starting 11 will be similar to last night. Adams, Fraser and McGregor might come in for Dykes, Christie and Armstrong. But I wouldn't be too bothered if it was the exact same 11. 

25 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

6 defenders? 7 if you see McTominay as a defence option as well. If we were about to play France, you might be onto something.

I think the starting 11 will be similar to last night. Adams, Fraser and McGregor might come in for Dykes, Christie and Armstrong. But I wouldn't be too bothered if it was the exact same 11. 

Yeah. I was thinking that, but when you think of it, Robertson and Tierney could easily play on the wing for club or country, on in midfield.

Is it my imagination or was it 3-4-3 last night? I think it was. Having two inside forwards is one of the reasons why we were outnumbered in midfield.

I wouldn't be too bothered if it was the same XI.. with  one alteration, McGregor coming in for Armstrong. But with two up front. I hope Dyke starts, as Adams isn't a threat in the air.

I just want 3 points as it 4 from the first two games would be great. Then hopefully 7 come next week.

Edited by Taylor1996