RIP Frank - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

There seems to be this ideal that now, the young players play for a contract and if you fail in it, then there is nothing. We seem to have lost the point of fitba, that we play and watch a game becauae it is an enjoyment. We have lost our enjoyment of watching clever people do something we ourselves could never do.

Frankie played in the first match I ever saw live, against West Ham in a cup game in 1972. My abiding memory all my life of that game was of him putting us 4-1 up with a far post header.

He lived not too far from me & was a ST holder for many years at Town. The last but one game I was at before lockdown was against Charlton. I was walking with one of their fans that I’d got chatting to in the pub when we bumped into him in the car park...the Charlton lad was absolutely made up that he’d seen him. Even though very ill he was still lapping up all the attention & signing autographs! 

1 hour ago, Philip N Williams said:

Are there any more characters left in the game? Guys who played for the fun of it?

Sadly not really. My best times watching football was without a doubt as a kid in the 70s and then into the 80s when of course the old firm were getting challenged and Scotland were qualifying for world cups etc.

I still follow football but not with the same passion,  a lot of fun has been lost throughout the years imo.

It’s interesting that the other player that is mentioned on that commentary is Alan Gowling. Our manager in the early 70s, Ian Greaves, wanted to sign Gowling to play alongside Worthington but the board basically said he could have one or the other. 

As far-sighted decisions go, it’s up there with refusing to let Bill Shankly sign Ian St John which prompted him to quit & drop down a division. Some Scouse team or other he ended up at from memory 😕

4 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

It’s interesting that the other player that is mentioned on that commentary is Alan Gowling. Our manager in the early 70s, Ian Greaves, wanted to sign Gowling to play alongside Worthington but the board basically said he could have one or the other. 

As far-sighted decisions go, it’s up there with refusing to let Bill Shankly sign Ian St John which prompted him to quit & drop down a division. Some Scouse team or other he ended up at from memory 😕

Was Ian Greaves not Bolton manager when the above clip was filmed? Panini book memories flooding back...

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Was Ian Greaves not Bolton manager when the above clip was filmed? Panini book memories flooding back...

I hadn't thought about it but yes, you're quite right. Greaves was obviously keen on getting the two of them together. That was, of course, a top flight game...in a great example of 'this is what you could have won', we were scraping our way out of the bottom half of the 4th division when that game took place.

34 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I hadn't thought about it but yes, you're quite right. Greaves was obviously keen on getting the two of them together. That was, of course, a top flight game...in a great example of 'this is what you could have won', we were scraping our way out of the bottom half of the 4th division when that game took place.

Looking at their respective career paths on Wikipedia, presumably he was allowed to sign Gowling as long as he sold Worthington?

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Looking at their respective career paths on Wikipedia, presumably he was allowed to sign Gowling as long as he sold Worthington?

That's more or less the size of it, although we'd just been relegated & there's a school of thought that Worthington wanted a big club move anyway. He famously had a medical at Liverpool that summer (1972) but showed up high blood pressure. Shankly sent him for a holiday in Spain for a week to try & get it down, but after a week of booze & women, he came back with even higher blood pressure & so the move fell through.

I think Greaves was of the view that with Gowling alongside him, we'd be in a good position to bounce back up again but instead we just kept plummeting through the divisions.