Scotland v Austria - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Austria

PASTA Mick

If you  look at there record they almost as been as bad as us over the last 20 plus years. Havent been to the World cup since France 98  (Funny enough they won our group last time out) and only been to 2 euros since, One where they hosted with Switzerland.

Not sure the real quality of there team as any player would natually end up in Germany as historicly that where they seem  to go.

37 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Marshall

Hendry Gallagher Tierney

O'Donnell                                 Robertson

McTominay McGregor

McGinn

Dykes     Christie

This is the team I predict will start (not the team I necessarily want, though it's not far off)

I'd be really disappointed if Christie started ahead of Fraser.  

I don't think it will be too far away from that.  I'd expect Tierney, Robertson, McTominay, McGregor and McGinn to start.  After that, There are a few decisions to be made - 

• Is Marshall fit or does Gordon play
  • O'Donnell or Palmer? 
  • Where does McTominay play? which impacts
    • who plays CB? Hendry, Hanley or Gallagher
    • who plays CM if McTominay is CB? Fleck, McLean or Armstrong? 
  • Forwards?
    • Dykes or Adams?
    • Fraser or Christie?

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Marshall

Hendry Gallagher Tierney

O'Donnell                                 Robertson

McTominay McGregor

McGinn

Dykes     Christie

This is the team I predict will start (not the team I necessarily want, though it's not far off)

I think we'll line up like this:-

Marshall

Gallagher  Hanley  Tierney

O'Donnell                                  Robertson 

McTominay   McGregor

McGinn

Dykes   Fraser

The team I'd line up with given who we have left in the squad would see Armstrong start in place of McGregor.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Marshall

McTominay   McGregor

McGinn

Dykes   Fraser

The team I'd line up with given who we have left in the squad would see Armstrong start in place of McGregor.

Well, that's a bit left field. A wee bit too left field for O'Donnell's liking, I would imagine. :lol:

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd be really disappointed if Christie started ahead of Fraser.  

I don't think it will be too far away from that.  I'd expect Tierney, Robertson, McTominay, McGregor and McGinn to start.  After that, There are a few decisions to be made - 

• Is Marshall fit or does Gordon play
  • O'Donnell or Palmer? 
  • Where does McTominay play? which impacts
    • who plays CB? Hendry, Hanley or Gallagher
    • who plays CM if McTominay is CB? Fleck, McLean or Armstrong? 
  • Forwards?
    • Dykes or Adams?
    • Fraser or Christie?

Exactly. Personally, I'd have Fraser ahead of Christie, but I don't think Clarke will do that. I'd also like to see Armstrong tried at RWB maybe against Israel.

I also would have McGinn in CM instead of McGregor, allowing for both Christie and Fraser starting. Or Armstrong in a more advanced role.

I'd hope Clarke is just trying to find a way to get all of our best players on the park, and I'd argue Armstrong is one of them. It's just hard to know where to put him.

37 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Marshall

McTominay   McGregor

McGinn

Dykes   Fraser

Think that will be the team too. 

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am that Clarke hasn't called up more players. Jack has just dropped out AND it's a home fixture. Obviously calling up Gauld or the American lads last minute is inconvenient, but Turnbull is literally a half hour drive away. As is Forrest, McCrorie, Ferguson, Campbell etc etc

It cements the thought in my head that Turnbull has zero chance of breaking into the squad for the Euros. Which is a real shame.

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am that Clarke hasn't called up more players. Jack has just dropped out AND it's a home fixture. Obviously calling up Gauld or the American lads last minute is inconvenient, but Turnbull is literally a half hour drive away. As is Forrest, McCrorie, Ferguson, Campbell etc etc

It cements the thought in my head that Turnbull has zero chance of breaking into the squad for the Euros. Which is a real shame.

Call-ups only tend to happen with multiple players withdrawing from the squad not just one player.

15 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I wouldn't be surprised if players were called up after this match or the Israel match.

We are bound to pick up injuries and/or suspensions. 

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I wouldn't be surprised if players were called up after this match or the Israel match.

We are bound to pick up injuries and/or suspensions. 

If Clarke was anticipating more dropouts, then he should have been calling them up while we are in Scotland, not waiting until they have to fly out to another country. 

It's clear to me now that Clarke has all but picked his final 23 man squad for the Euros and doesn't really seem willing to bend on that. That's probably being a little unfair on him, but it very much feels like he is only looking at short term gains. Which is fair enough under the circumstances, but he may be missing out on talent that could help us now, if he was willing to give them a chance in training. 

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Call-ups only tend to happen with multiple players withdrawing from the squad not just one player.

It was more about this being a home tie. He could easily have called up more Scotland based players just to have a look at them. Regardless of Jack dropping out.

8 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It was more about this being a home tie. He could easily have called up more Scotland based players just to have a look at them. Regardless of Jack dropping out.

I agree but it has never been the case, as far as I can remember, where Scotland has called up one player to replace one call-off aside from goalkeeping department.

Apparently Austria are going to field a 6'7" striker in place of Arnautovic (injured). So this is where Harry Soutar would have been useful. Who is our tallest CB - Gallagher? With Tierney on the left then it's a toss-up between Hendry and Hanley, probably the latter because of his experience.

20 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

If Clarke was anticipating more dropouts, then he should have been calling them up while we are in Scotland, not waiting until they have to fly out to another country. 

It's clear to me now that Clarke has all but picked his final 23 man squad for the Euros and doesn't really seem willing to bend on that. That's probably being a little unfair on him, but it very much feels like he is only looking at short term gains. Which is fair enough under the circumstances, but he may be missing out on talent that could help us now, if he was willing to give them a chance in training. 

Think he knows the 23 in his mind, though he has called in Nisbet, maybe just to have a look at him. It's clear the core 8 or 9 players will be given a chance first. That sits fine by me: the test will come if they don't perform and he has to be ruthless and drop the likes of McLean, who does not seem to be a nailed-on first pick.

8 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Apparently Austria are going to field a 6'7" striker in place of Arnautovic (injured). So this is where Harry Soutar would have been useful. Who is our tallest CB - Gallagher? With Tierney on the left then it's a toss-up between Hendry and Hanley, probably the latter because of his experience.

Inexperienced player with 2 caps so gains with added height to their attack but loss in terms of international experience.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

13 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Think he knows the 23 in his mind, though he has called in Nisbet, maybe just to have a look at him. It's clear the core 8 or 9 players will be given a chance first. That sits fine by me: the test will come if they don't perform and he has to be ruthless and drop the likes of McLean, who does not seem to be a nailed-on first pick.

I imagine the one position he is still obsessing over is the striker position. He's acknowledged a few times that we need to score more goals. Every other area of the pitch has looked rock solid, so I don't really blame him for having the other positions settled in his mind.

If it were me, I'd be taking only 3 out-and-out strikers to the Euros, and I'd be making sure they are all very different from each other. Dykes, Adams and Griffiths would be my choice, if all on form. But Clarke will be thinking that Shankland or Nesbit might sneak in. Hence calling up Nisbet now. Obviously McBurnie and Burke have a chance as well.

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Inexperienced player with 2 caps so gains with added height to their attack but loss in terms of international experience.

He has scored regularly for Stuttgart in the Bundesliga though. Personally, that concerns me more than his height.

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

He has scored regularly for Stuttgart in the Bundesliga though. Personally, that concerns me more than his height.

One prolific season in the Bundesliga for a mid-table side so a bit of perspective is needed before we start seeing him as a Ronaldo type. I have witnessed Scotland strikers have similar stats in the EPL yet not cut the mustard to any real degree at international level.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

One prolific season in the Bundesliga for a mid-table side so a bit of perspective is needed before we start seeing him as a Ronaldo type. I have witnessed Scotland strikers have similar stats in the EPL yet not cut the mustard to any real degree at international level.

I wish Scotland had some strikers now with similar stats in the EPL. :lol:

I don't think anyone sees him as a Ronaldo type but he's clearly a striker on form and scoring goals in a demanding league, so he deserves respect and to be seen as a potential threat.