Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Feel like yesterday was a bit of a missed opportunity.  Happy with the draw after being 2-1 down so late on but we could have won that with the right team selection.

O'Donnell had a tough task and struggled. Christie and Dykes looked like players out of form and low on confidence.  Fraser and Adams should have started ahead of them two.  

KT is wasted at LCB.  The calls for him to play LBW are going to get louder and louder.  Robertson needs to stay well away from corners.   His corners and McTominays terrible free-kick at the end show how wasteful we are with deadballs.  Another reason why Turnbull should be in this squad.  

I'd be interested to see how Robertson does at LCB. I don't know why it is out of the question for him to move to accommodate Tierney. Maybe Robertson could play RWB? Yes, he's left footed, but he could easily cut inside if he wants to.

Last night was a good example of a game where we were struggling to break through, despite creating a decent amount of chances. It's those exact games where set pieces could make all the difference. If Turnbull or Griffiths (or both) were brought on late, we might have snatched a victory. I hope Clarke regrets the decision to leave them at home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm with you on that sentiment.Let's stop this bumming up the opposition,and play with a belief in ourselves.If we play well,we will win this match.Austria are a good enough side,but no more.Be positi

High time you retired your keyboard.

Absolutely. He’s not glamorous or flashy but did his job so bit disappointing to see comments immediately after the game suggesting replacements for him. 

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Their forward made space for the disallowed goal with 2 hands on Tierney's back. You can see from the way Tierney falls.

You are essentially saying that Tierney's manner of fall was evidence of a two handed push (despite the replays showing nothing like that).

I don't know why some folks are desperate in trying to convince themselves that it was not a legitimate goal.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I maybe in the minority camp on here but I genuinely like reading your posts - or at least used to. This is just clickbait and trolling and if continuing to post nonsense like this then you can't complain that no one takes you serious when you are trying to make a genuine point. 

It's not.

I backed up my reasoning. He made three successful passes in out of 6. 

Am I willing to give him a chance? I have no choice. He's certainly going to be judged by the standards that I judge other Scotland players.

I also said that Dykes had a bad first half, which he did. I love Dykes.

People may not like my opinion, but one thing you can count on is honesty from me. I say it as I see it. I don't sugarcoat anything.

Do I want Adams to convince me that he's a good player? Yes. I hope he scores a hat trick against Israel just to prove me wrong.

Edited by Taylor1996
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

all perspective. I actually thought Dykes did everything expected of him and also thought that Christie had a good game - I wouldn't say that Fraser is in exactly a rich vein of club form to be an automatic replacement. 

Agree that KT as left wing back would offer us a lot more than the current set up and wonder if we should try Robertson as RWB rather than perhaps moving KT over there. In saying that I thought O'Donnell was quite solid and got into some good attacking positions but he is not the same level of footballer as KT or AR.  

I do find it quite irritating that players who are supposed to be at the very top of the game, like Robbo and Tierney seem incapable of playing on the opposite side. Remember how easily players like Jardine and McGrain could alternate. 

Edited by Marky
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'd be interested to see how Robertson does at LCB. I don't know why it is out of the question for him to move to accommodate Tierney. Maybe Robertson could play RWB? Yes, he's left footed, but he could easily cut inside if he wants to.

Last night was a good example of a game where we were struggling to break through, despite creating a decent amount of chances. It's those exact games where set pieces could make all the difference. If Turnbull or Griffiths (or both) were brought on late, we might have snatched a victory. I hope Clarke regrets the decision to leave them at home.

I suggested Robertson or Tierney as an anchorman. You can imagine how that went down. 😛

Tierney playing beside McTominay would be interesting. Tierney has got a brilliant engine on him, and he could pretty much play anywhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marky said:

WTF!! Can’t you edit posts now??

Pressed post to quickly. 
Ah well, it wasn’t going to be an earth shattering post anyway 😃

 

You can.

I think you have a time limit of about ten minutes to edit.

Edit: You're welcome. ;)

 

Edited by Taylor1996
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's not.

I backed up my reasoning. He made three successful passes in out of 6. 

Am I willing to give him a chance? I have no choice. He's certainly going to be judged by the standards that I judge other Scotland players.

I also said that Dykes had a bad first half, which he did. I love Dykes.

People may not like my opinion, but one thing you can count on is honesty from me. I say it as I see it. I don't sugarcoat anything.

Do I want Adams to convince me that he's a good player? Yes. I hope he scores a hat trick against Israel just to prove me wrong.

Adams came on as a second half substitute. You are saying he was abysmal - he was neither good nor bad. If you are being honest then it is simple to concede that you can't base an opinion (positive or "abysmal") on what you saw. 

Armstrong gave the ball away cheaply too often for my liking but at the same time he was on the end of a number of good chances - chances that he would take or do better with on club form. He had a mixed game. Again this is an honest and fair minded assessment and not one which is agenda driven (and I too solely blame him for the England equaliser at Hampden). 

You say you are being honest. You're not. You are simply shoe-horning a myopic assessment of certain player's performances to suit a pre-conceived narrative. It is up to you what you wish to post of course, but at the same time you can't blame other posters for not taking you seriously as result of this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Marky said:

I do find it quite irritating that players who are supposed to be at the very top of the game, like Robbo and Tierney seem incapable of playing on the opposite side. Remember how easily players like Jardine and McGrain could alternate. 

Don't remember Jardine ever playing on the left; and McGrain was rarely as effective on the left.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tierney is more a threat than Robertson, I agree. But I think once it became obvious Robertson was being snuffed out down the left, that kind of gave Tierney space to break out from defence and make his marauding runs. I think this is what Clarke envisages happening. It's another attacking front. If the left wing is being nullified, Tierney's ball-carrying gives us another option. I see no need to specifically move him to left wingback. When he goes charging up the field, there's no reason why Robertson can't sit and cover.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Aww come on....you must know why? We are all Scotland fans.

of course. so how does a bad decision (or two/twenty) from the referee detract from that? Or detract from the overall performance? what are you conceding by saying that "we really got away with one there"? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

even the most partisan and blinkered of fans would have trouble justifying that as a free kick. No pundit I have heard on radio or TV has agreed with disallowing their goal. I think you just have to hold your hands up and say "we got away with one" on these occasions or simply put it down to the referee somehow belatedly realising he had missed a stonewall penalty. 

I wonder if in games without VAR they are still in communication with someone other than the linesmen!? 

Daddy said thought was a free kick, so therefore is a free kick

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I suggested Robertson or Tierney as an anchorman. You can imagine how that went down. 😛

Tierney playing beside McTominay would be interesting. Tierney has got a brilliant engine on him, and he could pretty much play anywhere. 

As with your Hendry as anchorman suggestion, all 3 would do a fine job there, no doubt. But Hendry looks to have nailed down the RCB slot now, and McTominay should be the first choice CDM now. 

Israel is a bit of a must win game, but I don't think it would be too much of a gamble to either swap Tierney and Robbo around, or try Robertson at RWB. McKenna, Gallagher or Considine can easily slot into LCB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

You can.

I think you have a time limit of about ten minutes to edit.

Edit: You're welcome. ;)

 

Thanks. I found the function. It had just moved from the last time I’d used it. I rarely have to edit my posts as they are usually spectacular. 😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Return of Yermaw said:

of course. so how does a bad decision (or two/twenty) from the referee detract from that? Or detract from the overall performance? what are you conceding by saying that "we really got away with one there"? 

What I am saying is there is bias in people's thinking. It happens. Go onto an Austrian football forum and they'll be insisting it was not a penalty and they should have had a goal and they'll argue McGinn was offside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Adams came on as a second half substitute. You are saying he was abysmal - he was neither good nor bad. If you are being honest then it is simple to concede that you can't base an opinion (positive or "abysmal") on what you saw. 

Armstrong gave the ball away cheaply too often for my liking but at the same time he was on the end of a number of good chances - chances that he would take or do better with on club form. He had a mixed game. Again this is an honest and fair minded assessment and not one which is agenda driven (and I too solely blame him for the England equaliser at Hampden). 

You say you are being honest. You're not. You are simply shoe-horning a myopic assessment of certain player's performances to suit a pre-conceived narrative. It is up to you what you wish to post of course, but at the same time you can't blame other posters for not taking you seriously as result of this. 

Can't argue with that.

It's no secret that I feel deeply aggrieved that Che Adams is even a part of the squad. I don't like it, and yeah, fine, perhaps I'm judging him too harshly, on what, 27 minutes? Maybe. But have you not considered that I've seen him for two years struggling for Southampton? I have. And he has. He's no better than McBurnie.

Will I give him a chance? Yes. I hope he makes me eat my words. If he does then I'll be the first to hold my hands up.

As for the last part of your post. If people don't take my opinion seriously, fair enough. However, there's a way to disagree without throwing insults and abuse around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Feel like yesterday was a bit of a missed opportunity.  Happy with the draw after being 2-1 down so late on but we could have won that with the right team selection.

O'Donnell had a tough task and struggled. Christie and Dykes looked like players out of form and low on confidence.  Fraser and Adams should have started ahead of them two.  

KT is wasted at LCB.  The calls for him to play LBW are going to get louder and louder.  Robertson needs to stay well away from corners.   His corners and McTominays terrible free-kick at the end show how wasteful we are with deadballs.  Another reason why Turnbull should be in this squad.  

Odonnell didn't look like he struggled to me. Alaba was quiet and odonnell blasted by him once and was up supporting a lot. Dykes 1st touch I agree was poor but he set up our best chance and was a bawhair of Robertson's cross and won a lot of balls. Christie as ever ran his heart out had our best chance and set up mcginn. I agree that tierney has more qualities for lwb than robertson but l felt last night the 2 of them gave austria a lot to worry about with their different attributes. Anyone that wants Robertson out the team imo knows heehaw about football. He is a pl and champs league winner and a player with that experience and knowledge and skillset will always be in our team. He would be 1st choice left back in every team in the world nearly but you and some others want him out . hilarious patter. Turnbull should defo be in squad as should gilmour. Things are looking up but only results will confirm it.

Edited by gaz7
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

As with your Hendry as anchorman suggestion, all 3 would do a fine job there, no doubt. But Hendry looks to have nailed down the RCB slot now, and McTominay should be the first choice CDM now. 

Israel is a bit of a must win game, but I don't think it would be too much of a gamble to either swap Tierney and Robbo around, or try Robertson at RWB. McKenna, Gallagher or Considine can easily slot into LCB.

It's all a headache for Clarke, but that's why he's paid the SFA pennies. ;)

Yeah. Agreed. It is a must win. All the matches against the teams other than Austria and Denmark, are. If we could get at least 6 points against those two, and pretty much maximum from the rest, we'll be in with a chance.

If.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Robertson and Tierney are beginning to dovetail well down the left. Tierney our best player on the night made the kind of forward runs that very few defenders can make.  Could be very dangerous to our opponents, the more they concentrate on blocking Robertson's forward runs the more room there is for Tierney's surges. Could become a signature note of our team that few could match.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...