Scotland v Austria - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Austria

PASTA Mick

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Think the question you should be asking is do you want a champions league and EPL winner on the right hand side or the very definition of a journey man in Stephen O'Donnell.

Nothing against O'Donnell but there are half a dozen players in the squad that could be just as effective in his role.

I’m sceptical on that viewpoint. 6 players in the squad would be just as good at right wing back? Based on what?

Players sometimes can work well on the opposite flank if they are goal threat, cutting in and shooting with their preferred foot. But Robertson, great player as he is, is not really a goal scorer. I’d pick O’Donnell over him on the right - not that I think O’Donnell is a superior player of course.

11 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Exactly. Surely having two top class players that can take turns in running the left  flank is a strong attribute that can test the opposition.

Having them where they are is actually a great move, Robertson is our best known player with a reputation as a major threat down the flank, when teams play us they concentrate on him, with Tierney where he is he can take advantage of the spaces and when they are concerned with Tierney then Robertson can take the space.  This is probably why we rarely see Robertson put in a performance that we stand up and applaud, its because he is closely monitored.  Its not a waste of a player, because for the good of the team there are opportunities for others.  

7 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Having them where they are is actually a great move, Robertson is our best known player with a reputation as a major threat down the flank, when teams play us they concentrate on him, with Tierney where he is he can take advantage of the spaces and when they are concerned with Tierney then Robertson can take the space.  This is probably why we rarely see Robertson put in a performance that we stand up and applaud, its because he is closely monitored.  Its not a waste of a player, because for the good of the team there are opportunities for others.  

Great post

48 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I’m sceptical on that viewpoint. 6 players in the squad would be just as good at right wing back? Based on what?

Players sometimes can work well on the opposite flank if they are goal threat, cutting in and shooting with their preferred foot. But Robertson, great player as he is, is not really a goal scorer. I’d pick O’Donnell over him on the right - not that I think O’Donnell is a superior player of course.

Based on how I would expect players to perform in the right wing back role, so rather subjective 

Mctominay

Robertson

Tierney

Hendry

Armstrong

Fraser(he has played there before)

You could probably even stick Christie in there. Heck you could even argue Palmer but I wont. 

They are all on a different planet regarding their ability to play football. Playing players out of position is part and parcel of international football.

Robertson has actually scored as many goals as a professional footballer as O'Donnell and at a rather higher level, seeing him cutting inside onto his favored foot might be pretty exciting.

18 hours ago, duncan II said:

Tierney is more a threat than Robertson, I agree. But I think once it became obvious Robertson was being snuffed out down the left, that kind of gave Tierney space to break out from defence and make his marauding runs. I think this is what Clarke envisages happening. It's another attacking front. If the left wing is being nullified, Tierney's ball-carrying gives us another option. I see no need to specifically move him to left wingback. When he goes charging up the field, there's no reason why Robertson can't sit and cover.

yeh i agree with that, tierney is excellent at carrying the ball out from defence as shown on thursday night. i am happy to keep him at lcb and use this ability to the max.

18 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'm a big believer in finding a way to get our best players on the pitch together.

It is tricky with Robertson and Tierney probably being our best two and playing in the same position.  Clarke has found a way to get them both in but it doesn't mean we can keep evaluating whether we can find other ways.  

Personally, I'd start by switching them and trying Robertson at LCB.  Also wouldn't mind trying Roberson at RWB.  I just think Tierney needs to be playing LWB. 

I think we need a bit of continuity going into the euros so personally i would keep it the same as i think tierney does quite well there and robertson gets harshly judged on here because hes our star player and captain.

I think if we swapped Tierney and Robertson for example then Tierney would get more “attention” just because his position is more likely to be attacking and teams will acknowledge that. 

I do think he’s technically a better player than Robertson and that’s why he should stay in his current position. 

At times in the second half I felt Tierney could have taken the ball out more and started attacks, would get Robertson in a better position to make crosses as well. Hopefully that’s something we can build on in the next 2 games. 

Robertson won’t beat his man like a winger will much, his strength is getting up and down the park and someone, Tierney or a midfielder putting him in for a cross. 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I would just ask tierney to attack more like he does for his club from left back but with a starting position of centre back. So what if he gets caught upfield, there should be cover.  Like to see him attack far more tomorrow. 

he looked good strolling out of defence with the ball. i reckon him and robertson can build a good relationship.