Scotland v Austria - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Austria

PASTA Mick

9 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

Mashall - At fault for the first goal, but has money in the bank and look very solid otherwise. Agreed

O'Donnell - An enigma (Jim Bett was better though). Looks out of place in international football just from a look and feel perspective. Conversely, continues to be effective in creating chances and positioning is generally good. There is one scapegoat in every team, never let Scotland down and Clarke realises that. Surely someone will sign him after the EUROS.

Hendry - Clearly a ball playing defender, which is what Clarke's looking for (right footed too) Looked very comfortable at this level. 

Hanley - Was worried with his fouls at the start, but he reigned it in really well and got a really good goal. Agreed, he was on his last warning and thought Clarke should have subbed him. Instead,sorted him out. Good management

Tierney - Just a very good player. If he sang the anthem he'd be the complete player. He's a footballer not a singer

Robertson - Not sure why we didn't attack more down the left as we were clearly stronger there. Came in for a lot of criticism on the radio but I thought he did okay. Good performance

McTominey - Everything he did was good (apart from the last minute freekick). He didn't seem to do much though. We need him on the ball more. Total class

McGinn - I thought we could have used him more on attacks down the left. Generally high quality though and the goal was magnificent. Best used in attacking midfield. Very quiet except for the goal, tahts Ok I suppose, do the same on Sunday please

Armstong - Threatened to be our most dangerous player. Ultimately though, he was rather wasteful when he got in good positions. Plays better for Southampton. Good performance, some things came off for him some didnt. Should have scored but unlucky.

Christie - I thought he was lucky not to get sent off in the first half when he went up for that ball at the edge of the box. Outside of indiscipline, I thought he was very good. Could have maybe scored in the first half, but he was a good presence in attack. Pity he was substituted just before the last free kick, could have done some different.

Dykes - Worst game for Scotland? To me, he looked lethargic at times and on a different wavelength to the others. Agreed but never gave up and good hunting down the goalie and created Christies's chance

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I agree with almost all of that. A bit harsh on O'Donnell, as I think he actually looks pretty comfortable at this level, and doesn't really make more mistakes than the rest of our players.

Agreed but its the old addage amongst our supporters - his face doesn't fit. He is our archetypal scapegoat that supporters simply must have. Sad but there you go.

2 hours ago, McTeeko said:

You’ve taken McCoist’s comment completely out of context. He meant his ‘wrong foot’ as the angle McGinn was at it was better suited to use his right foot. 

Chripper just wanted to make it about him again. Poor wee lad just needs a hug.

I'm a bit dissappointed today, there were positives like having the character to come back from a goal down twice, that's something I dont think previous sides had but in my opinion but we have to win the home games, especially against our rivals for top or a playoff spot. We are more or less on the back foot now.

Definitely a penalty  the ref was very lenient, there were challenges which should've  resulted in a yellow.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think clarke should go to mcregor now, I'd usually be the last person to say that but I'm more confident with him in between the sticks.

Mctominay must stay in midfield. His range of passing is better than anything we have. Hendry is a more than adequate replacement at the back. 

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed but its the old addage amongst our supporters - his face doesn't fit. He is our archetypal scapegoat that supporters simply must have. Sad but there you go.

I think Celtic should have signed him in January. They needed a RB and if he was playing for them, I think our fans would be far more supportive. It's sad that that is the case, but it is clearly true considering how many people are touting a Rangers RB who has played less than a dozen games to play ahead of him.

People are being too harsh on Dykes. Fine. First half he was bad, but he did improve in the 2nd. Setting up two good chances isn't a bad return.

Adams was abysmal. 24 minutes. 3 accurate passes (50% success). Lost 100% of his 5 duels, both in the air and on the ground. 

Armstrong, statistically the worst outfield player who started. Missed a sitter... using his weaker foot (his left, for people who are obsessed with that kinda stuff) when using his right would've made sense in two ways: it's his strongest foot and the angle called for a right footed shot.

Armstrong is going to be a lawyer when he retires? Hopefully he has more brains in the courtroom, as on the park he is brainless.

Edited by Taylor1996

I think two things are clear from last night:

McGinn, as our one and only goal threat, needs to play a more advanced role.

Chripper still hasn’t learned anything about football and his reliance on stats sites is not helping him.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The cynic in me says the referee knew he'd bottled out of that penalty decision and that it was a pen so levelled it up with that free-kick call for their disallowed goal.

Their forward made space for the disallowed goal with 2 hands on Tierney's back. You can see from the way Tierney falls.

As for the penalty, the only excuse is he tripped ower his fkin guide dug and didnae see it.

And the overlapping centerbacks that Sheffield United introduced. First time I've seen us deploying it. It was a brave move against a good team.

Might be a way of getting Tierney up the park and engaging with Robertson. 

(I really wish supposed Scotland fans would stop criticising their fellow supporters)

15 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

People are being too harsh on Dykes. Fine. First half he was bad, but he did improve in the 2nd. Setting up two good chances isn't a bad return.

Adams was abysmal. 24 minutes. 3 accurate passes (50% success). Lost 100% of his 5 duels, both in the air and on the ground. 

Armstrong, statistically the worst outfield player who started. Missed a sitter... using his weaker foot (his left, for people who are obsessed with that kinda stuff) when using his right would've made sense in two ways: it's his strongest foot and the angle called for a right footed shot.

Armstrong is going to be a lawyer when he retires? Hopefully he has more brains in the courtroom, as on the park he is brainless.

I hate to think what that slavering load of utter p*sh looked like BEFORE you edited it.

14 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

High time you retired your keyboard.

6 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Their forward made space for the disallowed goal with 2 hands on Tierney's back. You can see from the way Tierney falls.

As for the penalty, the only excuse is he tripped ower his fkin guide dug and didnae see it.

Like I said last night the ref was a prize bottler of the big decisions. Every corner nearly always resulted in him blowing up for a four - by the attacking side. The safe decision. One of Austria's players (think it was Leiner) had already done two or three fouls when he came through the back of McGinn and still never get booked then later hand in the face of Tierney and still no booking. Hanley - one foul and booked like it was for most of our players.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Like I said last night the ref was a prize bottler of the big decisions. Every corner nearly always resulted in him blowing up for a four - by the attacking side. The safe decision. Oe of Austria's players (think it was Leiner) had already done two or three fouls when he came through the back of McGinn and still never get booked then later hand in the face of Tierney and still no booking. Hanley - one foul and booked like it was for most of our players.

That was one of the worst refereeing displays I've seen. Utterly honking. Guy goes in 10 minutes late on McGinn - no booking. A few minutes later Hanley goes in for a 50-50 and gets booked cos their guy squeals. Christie gets booked for complaining he didn't get a blatant foul. Dykes gets booked for a guy kicking the ball off him deliberately at a free kick. 3 of our guys walking a tightrope and still none of theirs in the book yet???  Absolutely fkin disgraceful performance.  The penalty utterly defies belief as the bastard was staring right at it!

I haven't seen full highlights yet but the incident that led to the McTominay free kick at the end - last man foul?

I think last night was a great example of when the lack of a crowd went against us. Not because of the effect it might have had on either team, but more the effect it might have had on a weak ref like that.

With a baying crowd screaming for a penalty he would’ve totally caved. Likewise a crowd yelling about some of the Austrian challenges might have seen him being harsher on their players. 
Unfortunately there is a fair chance they’ll have that advantage in the return match. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The cynic in me says the referee knew he'd bottled out of that penalty decision and that it was a pen so levelled it up with that free-kick call for their disallowed goal.

2 wrongs don’t make a right, especially when we were wronged 1st 🥴

6 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

2 wrongs don’t make a right, especially when we were wronged 1st 🥴

No I am not saying it does. He's thought about it after not giving it and realised he fucked up and has tried to level it out with the later decision to appease himself or who knows it may be a secret 'must do' amongst referees.

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

It was a pen and it was a free kick

But he probably did try to even out

even the most partisan and blinkered of fans would have trouble justifying that as a free kick. No pundit I have heard on radio or TV has agreed with disallowing their goal. I think you just have to hold your hands up and say "we got away with one" on these occasions or simply put it down to the referee somehow belatedly realising he had missed a stonewall penalty. 

I wonder if in games without VAR they are still in communication with someone other than the linesmen!? 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

I maybe in the minority camp on here but I genuinely like reading your posts - or at least used to. This is just clickbait and trolling and if continuing to post nonsense like this then you can't complain that no one takes you serious when you are trying to make a genuine point. 

Feel like yesterday was a bit of a missed opportunity.  Happy with the draw after being 2-1 down so late on but we could have won that with the right team selection.

O'Donnell had a tough task and struggled. Christie and Dykes looked like players out of form and low on confidence.  Fraser and Adams should have started ahead of them two.  

KT is wasted at LCB.  The calls for him to play LBW are going to get louder and louder.  Robertson needs to stay well away from corners.   His corners and McTominays terrible free-kick at the end show how wasteful we are with deadballs.  Another reason why Turnbull should be in this squad.  

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Feel like yesterday was a bit of a missed opportunity.  Happy with the draw after being 2-1 down so late on but we could have won that with the right team selection.

O'Donnell had a tough task and struggled. Christie and Dykes looked like players out of form and low on confidence.  Fraser and Adams should have started ahead of them two.  

KT is wasted at LCB.  The calls for him to play LBW are going to get louder and louder.  Robertson needs to stay well away from corners.   His corners and McTominays terrible free-kick at the end show how wasteful we are with deadballs.  Another reason why Turnbull should be in this squad.  

all perspective. I actually thought Dykes did everything expected of him and also thought that Christie had a good game - I wouldn't say that Fraser is in exactly a rich vein of club form to be an automatic replacement. 

Agree that KT as left wing back would offer us a lot more than the current set up and wonder if we should try Robertson as RWB rather than perhaps moving KT over there. In saying that I thought O'Donnell was quite solid and got into some good attacking positions but he is not the same level of footballer as KT or AR.  

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Yes I sort of feel it was a missed opportunity but more along the lines of if we had been given that penalty.

I disagree with you about O'Donnell who had an assist and had couple of decent breaks down the wing with Alaba of Bayern Munich to contend with. Christie I thought did very well but Dykes not so well so disagree and agree with you on that point but Adams did little when he came on anyway.

I agree with you about Tierney now. I'd sooner see him in a more attacking capacity as he offers more threat than Robertson.