Scotland v Austria - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Austria

PASTA Mick

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

they dont need to win 10 games. they will win 8 and maybe draw 2.

And they’ll deserve to win the group in that case. 

But they won 4 and drew 4 in the euro qualifiers so let’s hope they drop points and nothing to say we can’t beat them at Hampden with a bit of luck. 

9 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah. It was me. I think he has the skillset for it, and physicality.

Agreed. I used to dislike Christie, but I really like him now... even though I didn't include him in my first XI....

Don't start admitting you were wrong, you may start a trend here 😁

6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

And they’ll deserve to win the group in that case. 

But they won 4 and drew 4 in the euro qualifiers so let’s hope they drop points and nothing to say we can’t beat them at Hampden with a bit of luck. 

yeh thats true but if we dont win games like tonight then its going to be unlikely we will finish 1st

A spirited performance and overall, we did well to come back twice; and considering how it was looking, i was happy to pinch a draw. 

If we can get over our hoodoo and win in Israel, tonight will have been a good result. Denmark won 4 drew 4 in Euro qualifying, so we shouldn't fear them. Ultimately I think it'll end up coming down to who gets wins in Moldova, Israel and the Faroes - for the top spots. 

42 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

maybe so but if we want to win this group then we need to be winning at home to austria. austria away is a must win game now and i struggle to see us beating denmark tbh. denmark have quality in every position and are very good side these days.

This win our home games is a load of pish just now due to no fans and if we draw in austria which we have a great chance off and beat den mark in home away shootout we will win group. Denmark were under a lot of pressure v israel then got lucky goal they are no superstars. Good but not great. If we beat Israel we are well in it until fans back in autumn and I was actually happy enough with a point tonight as it was with no fans so shows our players are gd enough football wise against a gd team. Sunday was and is huge.

13 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Missed Jack tonight which would have allowed McGinn to be further forward from the start. Getting Nathan Paterson into the squad to replace O’Donnell is probably more important than fast tracking Gilmour. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t Patterson only played a handful of games for Rangers?

O’Donnell did fine against a good player, he’s limited going forward definitely but even earned an assist tonight. 

10 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Can't remember who it was here that made such a hoopla about me not knowing the dominant foot of our players.

McCoist doesnt know that McGinn is left footed: "I think he goes with it with his wrong foot!"

He didn't. McGinn hit it with his left.

Did McCoist also want to play McGregor at right wing back but changed his mind when he realised he was left footed?

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t Patterson only played a handful of games for Rangers?

O’Donnell did fine against a good player, he’s limited going forward definitely but even earned an assist tonight. 

I'd go one further and say O'Donnell did extremely well against one of the best fullbacks in the world. I swear if O'Donnell wasn't playing for Motherwell, no one would be calling for him to be replaced. He's not had a bad game in the last 2 years.

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Yeah. It's too soon for Patterson.

The RWB spot is an issue. We do seem lopsided 

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Did McCoist also want to play McGregor at right wing back but changed his mind when he realised he was left footed?

I'd rather have McGregor at RWB than O'Donnell. 

Edited by Taylor1996

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'd go one further and say O'Donnell did extremely well against one of the best fullbacks in the world. I swear if O'Donnell wasn't playing for Motherwell, no one would be calling for him to be replaced. He's not had a bad game in the last 2 years.

Absolutely. He’s not glamorous or flashy but did his job so bit disappointing to see comments immediately after the game suggesting replacements for him. 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Course you would 😂

Why not? More mobility and a far better player.

Oh wait, were you one of those people that suggested that we shouldn't/would never play with a back three? Maybe you should've read one of my manyyyyyy threads/posts on the subject, as you'd know what's needed as a wingback. :)

Edited by Taylor1996

6 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

This win our home games is a load of pish just now due to no fans and if we draw in austria which we have a great chance off and beat den mark in home away shootout we will win group. Denmark were under a lot of pressure v israel then got lucky goal they are no superstars. Good but not great. If we beat Israel we are well in it until fans back in autumn and I was actually happy enough with a point tonight as it was with no fans so shows our players are gd enough football wise against a gd team. Sunday was and is huge.

its not a case of winning our home games but we will have to beat austria once if we want to win this group and we have passed up a great opportunity to do that tonight. its going to be a big ask for us to beat denmark going by recent performances. they have a much stronger squad

39 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

then why do we struggle against them? 

Because we’re shite too. November’s play-off win covered over a lot of cracks and put us all on a massive high, however that’s five games without a win against similar level teams to us (at least no giants). We blew the Nation’s League and despite digging deep tonight, it’s two points dropped. 

We still have no idea how to open teams up or break down a packed defence. 

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Why not? More mobility and a far better player.

Oh wait, were you one of those people that suggested that we shouldn't/would never play with a back three? Maybe you should've read one of my manyyyyyy threads/posts on the subject, as you'd know what's needed as a wingback. :)

You’re very boring 

25 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Can't remember who it was here that made such a hoopla about me not knowing the dominant foot of our players.

McCoist doesnt know that McGinn is left footed: "I think he goes with it with his wrong foot!"

He didn't. McGinn hit it with his left.

'Twas me,sir. When did you hear McCoist say that? He wasn't commentating tonight was he?

44 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

yeh you can pull out a few players from our squad they would like to have but overall their squad is alot better than ours. most of their starting eleven play for elite european clubs. i am willing to bet the only games denmark dont win is away to us and away to austria and even then thats being generous on us and austria.

There's always scope for shock results in qualifying.