Scotland Squad Announced - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad Announced

PASTA Mick

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I wish people wouldn't give him so much credit for getting us there via the back door, a couple of draws and winning the lottery of a penalty shoot out twice.

Are you kidding? After 22 years of failed campaigns whether it's back door or not it's still a tournament to look forward to. I was a critic of early defeats but we've got through. Clarke is under no illusion there's plenty of room for improvement for upcoming games though

Norway called up a 31 person squad and they aren't even going to the Euros. 

One very unlikely explanation to why we only took 26 is that if there is an outbreak of Covid in the camp, then he will want quality backups on standby that won't be infected. (I doubt this is the reason)

More likely is that he is trying to whittle down his squad to a preferred 23. I see the logic, but I don't agree this is the right way to do it. He can't know if Gauld or Turnbull should be in the 23 without seeing them up close. Especially since Jack is seemingly not fit for all 3 games.

Edited by Tartan blood

18 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Norway called up a 31 person squad and they aren't even going to the Euros. 

One very unlikely explanation to why we only took 26 is that if there is an outbreak of Covid in the camp, then he will want quality backups on standby that won't be infected. (I doubt this is the reason)

More likely is that he is trying to whittle down his squad to a preferred 23. I see the logic, but I don't agree this is the right way to do it. He can't know if Gauld or Turnbull should be in the 23 without seeing them up close. Especially since Jack is seemingly not fit for all 3 games.

My premier concern with Scotland is always the amount of players we use in a short space of time sometimes we easily go through about 40 players over 3 games .

30 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

My premier concern with Scotland is always the amount of players we use in a short space of time sometimes we easily go through about 40 players over 3 games .

Yes, but that sometimes works in our favour. Considine has become an ever-present under those circumstances. But you are right, we don't want to fill up the squad with the likes of Hanlon or Devlin just to boost the numbers. (No disrespect to either players. I like both in general)

However, we do genuinely have some potential prodigies banging on the door. They should at least be called up to train with the senior players.

Edited by Tartan blood

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

🤣🤣🤣

Hold on a minute.

In this thread someone said that Allan McGregor is the number one goalkeeper in the UK, and my thread is the one that makes you chuckle?!?!

So, you agree then? That Allan McGregor, a player who playing in the English Championship three seasons ago, I'd better than the number one of Holland, Portugal, France, Poland, England and Brazil?

If that were truly the case, why isn't he with Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid, etc, instead of a wee Scottish club?

Edited by Taylor1996

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

My God, that is a truly ignorant comment. McGregor has made fantastic saves in EVERY Euro tie for the last 3 seasons. Right now there is NO better goalie in the UK. But I think he is too decisive a person to change his mind now. His retirement helped to prolong his career.

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Anyone who’s watched any amount of Rangers games this season knows Allan McGregor is at his best this season - says it all really your statement there 🤣

Really?

Apparently, he wasn't clever for Slavia Prague's first goal. Was too busy watching a match between two giants.

Just waiting on BT sports 2 to show the highlights.

Care to retract any of that?

Wanting someone banned for disagreeing with you. Good grief. This is Primary School stuff.

Fine.

Allan McGregor is the best goalkeeper in the UK. He also wasn't at fault for spilling a harmless shot, that was straight at him, into his own net against Slavia Prague last night. </Lie>

Edited by Taylor1996

I'm totally within my rights to post here and give my view. If I adhere to the rules, then I don't see what the problem is.

Waffle? Yeah. It's called literacy. And hey, didn't you say that Allan McGregor was the best keeper in the UK and currently at his peak? Nah. That ain't "waffly pish"...

And "doughnuts" are delicious, so thank you... I think...

Anyway. This thread is about the Scotland squad. If you want to discuss waffles, doughnuts or any other pastry, PM me.

Edited by Taylor1996

McGregor has no chance for the 1st goal. I think his starting position was too far left and too far off his line for the 2nd but the free kick was so good that it can hardly be described as a gk error.

McGregor is and always has been a better GK than Marshall. However he retired and we have no reason to ask him back.