Scotland Squad Announced - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad Announced

PASTA Mick

2 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

he's not going to drop a player who played a massive part in getting us to the euros though is he? 

like it or lump it we have to accept that he is going to be loyal to the majority of players.

i'm sure if the WC games were after the euros then some these players called up would not be in the squad. but he is not going to say to players you are out of the squad for now but because there are better players than you but you can come back in for the euros because you've been part of the euro squad

He didn't have to drop Christie to call up Turnbull.  But it is clear, Turnbull is a better player than Christie - or certainly in much better form.

Personally, I think Clarke has bottled some difficult decisions in this squad. 

2 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

He didn't have to drop Christie to call up Turnbull.  But it is clear, Turnbull is a better player than Christie - or certainly in much better form.

Turnbull has made a good start to his celtic career but its a bit early to suggest he's better than Christie. Christie scores alot of goals for celtic and has been a big player for Scotland the last couple of years. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Turnbull has made a good start to his celtic career but its a bit early to suggest he's better than Christie. Christie scores alot of goals for celtic and has been a big player for Scotland the last couple of years. 

I like Christie.  I'd have him in the squad.  He has suffered more than anyone from playing under Lennon, IMO.

However, right now, Turnbull is miles better.  I mean, he is different class better.  He has directly contributed to twelve goals for Celtic since breaking through vs Lille in December.  

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I like Christie.  I'd have him in the squad.  He has suffered more than anyone from playing under Lennon, IMO.

However, right now, Turnbull is miles better.  I mean, he is different class better.  He has directly contributed to twelve goals for Celtic since breaking through vs Lille in December.  

Yeh but Christie has been good for Scotland. Also just because Turnbull is having a good three month spell doesn't make him a better player than Christie. Christie has been a steady performer for years now. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh but Christie has been good for Scotland. Also just because Turnbull is having a good three month spell doesn't make him a better player than Christie. Christie has been a steady performer for years now. 

Have you watched a Celtic match in the last 3 months? 

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Have you watched a Celtic match in the last 3 months? 

Yes, and I know Christie has been relatively poor the last few months but over the past 4/5 years he's been mostly excellent for Aberdeen and celtic.

Just because Turnbull has had a good three months doesn't mean he's a better player. Christie has scored Cup winners and important goals in Europe and has helped celtic to win trophies. His goals and assists record is excellent for a central midfielder. Turnbull will probably become a better player in a couple of years but for now Christie is the better option. If Clarke thought otherwise then Turnbull would be in the squad. 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yes, and I know Christie has been relatively poor the last few months but over the past 4/5 years he's been mostly excellent for Aberdeen and celtic.

Just because Turnbull has had a good three months doesn't mean he's a better player. Christie has scored Cup winners and important goals in Europe and has helped celtic to win trophies. His goals and assists record is excellent for a central midfielder. Turnbull will probably become a better player in a couple of years but for now Christie is the better option. If Clarke thought otherwise then Turnbull would be in the squad. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.  I'd have had both in the squad.  I understand why Clarke hasn't made many changes but I personally think it was the wrong thing to do.

The squad is still strong enough to do well this month.  

Edited by PASTA Mick

Just now, PASTA Mick said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.  I'd have had both in the squad.  I understand why Clarke hasn't made many changes but I personally think it was the wrong thing to do.

The squad is still strong enough to do well this month.  

I would have Turnbull in the squad as well but everyone is making out he's the next messiah. A few good months with celtic doesn't suddenly make him better than Christie. Christie record the last few years for celtic and Scotland is impressive in terms of goals and assists. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

I would have Turnbull in the squad as well but everyone is making out he's the next messiah. A few good months with celtic doesn't suddenly make him better than Christie. Christie record the last few years for celtic and Scotland is impressive in terms of goals and assists. 

It's not just a few good months with Celtic though, is it? He was excellent at Motherwell too. 

Right now, Turnbull is playing miles better than Christie.  I rate Christie but his form is stinking right now. 

1 minute ago, PASTA Mick said:

It's not just a few good months with Celtic though, is it? He was excellent at Motherwell too. 

Right now, Turnbull is playing miles better than Christie.  I rate Christie but his form is stinking right now. 

Yeh he had a good 6 months with Motherwell then he was out for half a season then he has had a good 3 months with celtic. 

Its all very well talking about form but Christie overall is a better option than Turnbull and having a brief spell doesn't mean you are a better player. If this was true then clarke would of picked Turnbull and would be starting Turnbull over Christie in the upcoming games. 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh he had a good 6 months with Motherwell then he was out for half a season then he has had a good 3 months with celtic. 

Its all very well talking about form but Christie overall is a better option than Turnbull and having a brief spell doesn't mean you are a better player. If this was true then clarke would of picked Turnbull and would be starting Turnbull over Christie in the upcoming games. 

OK, this is getting boring.  Nice chat. 

I would have stopped Fleck for Turnbull if I had to choose only one but he didn't, he could have called them both up, we need good ptions on the bench. I felt against Serbia after they equalised we had no-one to turn to, we had to hang on for penalties. 

16 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I would have stopped Fleck for Turnbull if I had to choose only one but he didn't, he could have called them both up, we need good ptions on the bench. I felt against Serbia after they equalised we had no-one to turn to, we had to hang on for penalties. 

I'm a little bit worried by our lack of width or a plan B. I think the system we have is great, but it won't always work. That's why I would include Griffiths, Burke (as a winger) and Turnbull. All quite different to the players playing in their positions and will give us an extra dimension when required. 

Turnbull is arguably the best Scottish player we have at set pieces. That alone should have been enough to include him on the bench. But he brings so much more than that.

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think Christie deserves to be judged on his Scotland performances which have been outstanding and went a long way to getting us qualified. 

52 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think Christie deserves to be judged on his Scotland performances which have been outstanding and went a long way to getting us qualified. 

I'm not against Christie being in the squad!!

But in the 4 months since Scotland last played, he has been really below par.  

7 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Someone will drop out and Turnbull will replace him and create or score a goal to beat Israel. ( you heard it here first)

That's the thing about three match rounds. So much could change. Witness Considine.

In normal circumstances, I'd expect that to be true. But it'll take a genuine serious injury this time for someone to drop out. I just can't see anyone willingly giving up a place this close to the Euros if it can be avoided.

But it does happen. I'm sure Commons only got called up because of an injury and ended up starting and scoring.

I don’t see why he couldn’t make room for Gauld and Turnbull. 

Clarke has said he didn’t choose them because the players ahead of them are Armstrong, Christie and Fraser. 

No one was expecting these guys to be dropped but there’s more than enough scope to include Gauld and Turnbull in the squad. Especially because he’s not had a chance to see either in training. These are two guys who could genuinely make a difference creatively for Scotland in the future. Gauld has been brilliant this season. Turnbull has shown massive potential. 

We don’t need Considine in the squad. We also don’t need Taylor or Fleck/McLean and McBurnie. There is more than enough cover from guys that can play various positions. If there are a couple of injuries then call one of them up. 

Gauld and Turnbull will now very likely need to wait at least until midway through the World Cup qualifying campaign. And Clarke will probably still be trying to keep a consistent squad...

It’s a pretty big oversight in my opinion. 

Happy with that squad.  Hanley 💪Depending on results there could be upto half a dozen changes (2/3pts) or one, two

I still want Gilmour in and one or two wild cards like Gauld , but mine is Naismith. 
tell me know another Scotland  past let alone present player scoring a ‘perfect hat trick’ in a top class game ? Yes he’s last legs but fuk me . He’d give a effort. 

36 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

This tweet would indicate to me that Gauld should have been in the squad, certainly before McBurnie and Fleck and probably McLean and Nesbit.

I would have definitely picked Gauld, the games I've seen him in for Farense he's a right good player, and I actually think he would thrive with better players around him. He seems to have grown into the role as talisman there. I reckon with the pace of Adams and Fraser Gauld would have found them. We need players like Gauld especially against teams we need to break down

2 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I would have definitely picked Gauld, the games I've seen him in for Farense he's a right good player, and I actually think he would thrive with better players around him. He seems to have grown into the role as talisman there. I reckon with the pace of Adams and Fraser Gauld would have found them. We need players like Gauld especially against teams we need to break down

Leaving Dykes out I take it?

I have to agree with a lot of posts we have missed a great chance to include 4 young players 3 of them are playing very well and 1 will definitely (GILMOUR) be in the team shortly. He has picked players like Palmer, Considine, Taylor and Fleck. I always thought International games players got picked on form. We need to change the team after the last 4 games. We played against teams that are meant to be at our level and failed to win any of them. When we play in the euros all the teams are higher than we are if we play the same we will end up being one of the first teams knocked out. Clarke needs to grow a pair and forget loyalty and play the best players not just because they have played well before. 

41 minutes ago, stitch said:

I have to agree with a lot of posts we have missed a great chance to include 4 young players 3 of them are playing very well and 1 will definitely (GILMOUR) be in the team shortly. He has picked players like Palmer, Considine, Taylor and Fleck. I always thought International games players got picked on form. We need to change the team after the last 4 games. We played against teams that are meant to be at our level and failed to win any of them. When we play in the euros all the teams are higher than we are if we play the same we will end up being one of the first teams knocked out. Clarke needs to grow a pair and forget loyalty and play the best players not just because they have played well before. 

Exactly. Where is the necessity in bringing 6 CBs? Plus McTominay would make it 7. Add in Cooper who would have been in the squad if he was fit. As much as I like Considine, surely he won't make the final 23. Barring an injury crisis, he will do little more than make up numbers, and he's hardly one for the future either.

Clarke should have had a 30 man squad. Then he could have had them all battle it out in training and prove themselves to Clarke in person, rather than just hoping he'll catch the odd club game. 

It's a very strong squad, but it should have been even stronger.