Scotland Squad Announced - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad Announced

PASTA Mick

13 minutes ago, stocky said:

Probably play him v Faroes to try and get him to score a few... Build up Confidence.....

I don’t see what you’d gain even if he did fluke a goal vs them. 

Nisbet could score a hat trick v them just poaching and doing what he does. 

30 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Patterson is a tricky one, as its fair to say he is only in the Rangers team until Tavernier is fit again, and unless Rangers are planning to cash in on him this summer, Patterson could find himself back in the Rangers youth team well by the time the Euros come along.

Patterson is a first team player, don’t be daft. 

Only Taylors inclusion is an issue for myself. Zero reason to include him at the expense of either Hickey or Paterson.

Dont see the harm in having a 30 man squad that could have included a young GK, Gauld, Turnbull and Gilmour.

10 defenders in the squad, not including McTominay. Surely that means he'll be back in midfield. Also, the fact Clarke wasn't tempted to take Turnbull indicates that there wouldn't be room in midfield for him. 

Clarke did say "I'm keeping my eye on him. He's one for the future". Great that he is obviously considering him but that seems pretty clear that he isn't going to make the Euros squad.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

McBurnies inclusion is odd given the guy who starts ahead of him for his club isn’t picked. As well as the fact he’s completely hopeless 

Burke has started one more game than McBurnie, but McBurnie has been on the pitch for three hours more when you include time on as a sub.

Burke is just as hopeless.

49 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Burke has started one more game than McBurnie, but McBurnie has been on the pitch for three hours more when you include time on as a sub.

Burke is just as hopeless.

They are both not good. Burke has one attribute which is pace. He edges it as McBurnie is as bad a professional player I can ever think of to get a good number of caps 

1 hour ago, prideothenorth said:

Still good to have Griffith's on the bench imo.

Griffiths in his present mindset is useless. He needs to get his head / attitude sorted if he is ever to be considered again.

Its frustrating as a fit, in form Griffith would start every game for us.

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Griffiths in his present mindset is useless. He needs to get his head / attitude sorted if he is ever to be considered again.

Its frustrating as a fit, in form Griffith would start every game for us.

I fear we won't see a fully fit and form griffiths again

16 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Clarke did say "I'm keeping my eye on him. He's one for the future". Great that he is obviously considering him but that seems pretty clear that he isn't going to make the Euros squad.

Such a Scottish thing.

Right now, Turnbull is better than Christie. It isn't even close. I like Christie but anyone watching Celtic over the last 3 months has Turnbull before him. 

For this squad Clarke was in a difficult position. These three matches are key World Cup Qualifiers so cannot be experimental bringing in youngsters and too many uncapped players. But......

On the other hand I can see players in that squad who won't be starting games that could be changed for other up and coming players to blend them gently into the squad.

Patterson for Palmer straight away. Turnbull could have been integrated in place of Kenny McLean who is never going to feature in any of the three up and coming games. I'd also have been tempted to throw Billy Gilmour in for John Fleck (another who I don't see starting any of the upcoming games for us).

13 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Such a Scottish thing.

Right now, Turnbull is better than Christie. It isn't even close. I like Christie but anyone watching Celtic over the last 3 months has Turnbull before him. 

he's not going to drop a player who played a massive part in getting us to the euros though is he? 

like it or lump it we have to accept that he is going to be loyal to the majority of players.

i'm sure if the WC games were after the euros then some these players called up would not be in the squad. but he is not going to say to players you are out of the squad for now but because there are better players than you but you can come back in for the euros because you've been part of the euro squad

10 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Such a Scottish thing.

True. Clarke made the point that midfield is our strongest area, which is a fair point, but only took 8 midfielders, 7 if you assume Christie and Fraser will be playing as second strikers. 

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

For this squad Clarke was in a difficult position. These three matches are key World Cup Qualifiers so cannot be experimental bringing in youngsters and too many uncapped players. But......

On the other hand I can see players in that squad who won't be starting games that could be changed for other up and coming players to blend them gently into the squad.

Patterson for Palmer straight away. Turnbull could have been integrated in place of Kenny McLean who is never going to feature in any of the three up and coming games. I'd also have been tempted to throw Billy Gilmour in for John Fleck (another who I don't see starting any of the upcoming games for us).

You don't even necessarily need to swap some players. He has called up bigger squads than this before. I see absolutely no harm in taking along 2 or 3 more players that are dead certs to be involved in the next few years. Turnbull and Gauld should absolutely have been there. Especially, as you say, since there are empty shirts in McLean and Fleck who will have probably less than 2 years of international bench warming between them.

A bit of a wasted opportunity to integrate our most promising players.

23 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

True. Clarke made the point that midfield is our strongest area, which is a fair point, but only took 8 midfielders, 7 if you assume Christie and Fraser will be playing as second strikers. 

You don't even necessarily need to swap some players. He has called up bigger squads than this before. I see absolutely no harm in taking along 2 or 3 more players that are dead certs to be involved in the next few years. Turnbull and Gauld should absolutely have been there. Especially, as you say, since there are empty shirts in McLean and Fleck who will have probably less than 2 years of international bench warming between them.

A bit of a wasted opportunity to integrate our most promising players.

I never wish injuries on our players but surely on the standby list must be Turnbull, Patterson, Gilmour, Gauld and Porteous. A strong list to fall back on which is good.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I never wish injuries on our players but surely on the standby list must be Turnbull, Patterson, Gilmour, Gauld and Porteous. A strong list to fall back on which is good.

I don’t understand calls for Porteous, he is mediocre. We also have a fair number of centre halves in the squad. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think we'll be seeing a lot less "injury" call offs the next few months. But you are right, surely Turnbull is the top of the list.

I wonder if Clarke is viewing this as a dry run for the Euros. Deliberately taking a relatively small squad and creating a camp dynamic. That would make sense as to why he didn't bring along future prospects. Which would mean none of them have any chance of making the Euros. 

If it is a 23 man squad, you'd imagine this will be pretty close to the final list. Considine, Nisbet and Palmer are probably the most likely to drop out.