Scotland Squad Announced - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad Announced

PASTA Mick

Good squad, but does feel like he has missed a chance to use other players ahead of the Euro's (it does feel like a squad where he knows there will be drop out's)

I honestly can not see Considine being more a shoo-in for the Euros than Liam Cooper.

Nisbet ahead of Shankland.

Adams ahead of Griffiths.

Understandable that he'll want to have a look at alternatives, but I don't see any harm in having a squad of 30, instead of 26. 

A serious lack of width, if you assume Fraser and Christie will play as second strikers.

Based on how many CBs there are, you'd think that means McTominay will be in midfield.

So many great players missing. The curse of having so many quality options to choose from.

Goalkeeper is pretty surprising, as McLaughlin at best will only play half a dozen game between now and June, and I doubt Derby will let Marshall do a 4/5 hour flight across Europe so soon after a back injury.

This was a perfect chance to think beyond the Euros and call up Marshall and Gordon, and get Kelly and McCrorie involved in the squad. 

18 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Decent. Would like to have seen Gauld and another right wing back. I see Cooper is missing.

Considine for Cooper can only be for injury to Cooper. Turnbull a big disappointment. Patterson and Gilmour omissions understandable. Gauld left out maybe for travel covid reasons?

20 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Personally, I think Cooper, Patterson, Turnbull and Gauld would have been better selections than Considine, O'Donnell, Fleck and McBurnie. 

Cooper is injured but I agree with the rest.

It’s a good squad.

One of the biggest question marks is probably McLaughlin who hasn’t played in many months ahead of Kelly and McCrorie. 

Cooper must be injured.

Gauld and Turnbull are pretty unlucky, especially Gauld.

Patterson ahead of Palmer all day long. 

Good squad though. 

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Considine for Cooper can only be for injury to Cooper. Turnbull a big disappointment. Patterson and Gilmour omissions understandable. Gauld left out maybe for travel covid reasons?

Gauld could travel, footballers are exempt in Portugal 

Just now, Duncan Blackheart said:

Very surprised no Turnbull. Quite disappointed at that. He’s better than, say, Fleck.

I’d have picked Patterson too, but maybe he’s on standby? 

Patterson is a tricky one, as its fair to say he is only in the Rangers team until Tavernier is fit again, and unless Rangers are planning to cash in on him this summer, Patterson could find himself back in the Rangers youth team well by the time the Euros come along.

Clarke just said that Jack is a doubt for the Austria game, and he is considering moving McT in to midfield again.

Sounds like he has an idea in his head about his Euro squad, but is trying out one or two new idea's, rather than ringing out the changes

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McBurnies inclusion is odd given the guy who starts ahead of him for his club isn’t picked. As well as the fact he’s completely hopeless 

Probably play him v Faroes to try and get him to score a few... Build up Confidence.....

15 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Patterson is a tricky one, as its fair to say he is only in the Rangers team until Tavernier is fit again, and unless Rangers are planning to cash in on him this summer, Patterson could find himself back in the Rangers youth team well by the time the Euros come along.

Yeah - I was more thinking from the point of view of involving him in training and letting him see what it’s all about. If he impresses, then great. 

awash with defenders, almost like a craig brown squad.  considine should have been punted to accommodate turnbull and gauld should have been called up over nisbett (and i say that as a hibs fan). obviously mcburnie shouldnt be there but we all know he would be and maclean wont make way for any of the up and coming midfielders till after the euros or the WC campaign.