Che Adams - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Che Adams

wanderer

Just now, vanderark14 said:

Adams will be judged much more harshly because he has played at youth level for our most bitter rivals. If he plays well against Austria or scores, we will adore him and applaud the decision by him and Clarke. If he scores the winner at wembley and celebrates wildly in front of our fans..................................well we will be calling for a fucking statue of him to be built outside Hampden

Yeh its just a case of how well he plays, i like him as a player and think he could do well for us. He's also only 24 so we could potentially have him for 10 years. 

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

As i say, I don’t think he’ll go to the Euros (unless there is an injury crisis)

I think he will go to the Euros.

The Daily Record article mentions that he'll be involved in the WC qualifiers. I doubt Clarke would play him in these three matches and then leave him out of the Euro 2020 squad.

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think he should be judged on the pitch. I would imagine Clarke would have consulted some of the senior players as well. As i say, I don’t think he’ll go to the Euros (unless there is an injury crisis).

Imagine a situation where Adams scores 2 or 3 in those wc qualifiers. There would be no way Clarke wouldn't pick him for the euros. 

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think he's making a clear distinction between the granny rule players and the guys who qualified through parentage.

Also quite a few of the parentage rule guys were keen to play for us from the start and were not just using us as a back up option. 

The ball is pretty much is Che Adams court now for what he will be....

Will he be a James Morrison and show up for every game (and show a lot more commitment than a number of the Scottish born players) or will he be another Matt Elliott and string us along until can not be bothered any more.

End of the day Clarke is totally within his rights to use this, and would not be shocked if he has used the winter to go around the houses with the carrot of a place at the Euros with a number of eligible players.

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

The ball is pretty much is Che Adams court now for what he will be....

Will he be a James Morrison and show up for every game (and show a lot more commitment than a number of the Scottish born players) or will he be another Matt Elliott and string us along until can not be bothered any more.

End of the day Clarke is totally within his rights to use this, and would not be shocked if he has used the winter to go around the houses with the carrot of a place at the Euros with a number of eligible players.

It's a positive long term but it is a bit harsh for the guys who got us to the euros. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

It's a positive long term but it is a bit harsh for the guys who got us to the euros. 

The guys who got us to the Euros were Dykes, McBurnie and Burke (only one you could say that has maybe been harsh is Shankland, but he has not taken his game up that notch after so many years of scoring for fun in the Championship).

Was watching MOTD2 last night and saw Adams' goal v Brighton literally minutes before seeing this story.

I'd heard his name mentioned as a potential (it was even discussed on View From The Terrace) but that was the first I can remember seeing him in action. 

21 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Imagine a situation where Adams scores 2 or 3 in those wc qualifiers. There would be no way Clarke wouldn't pick him for the euros. 

Clarke said something along the lines of “if a player (already  contacted and declined) wants to get in touch after the euros, i’ll consider it.” Since technically the WC qualifiers are after the Euros i think this is what has happened. It’s a bigger squad, Adams is in. He’ll drop out for the Euros even if he scores three hat-tricks. I think the other players would be okay with this, and it would be a risky move otherwise. If one of the strikers that got us qualified gets injured, things may be different. 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

Clarke said something along the lines of “if a player (already  contacted and declined) wants to get in touch after the euros, i’ll consider it.” Since technically the WC qualifiers are after the Euros i think this is what has happened. It’s a bigger squad, Adams is in. He’ll drop out for the Euros even if he scores three hat-tricks. I think the other players would be okay with this, and it would be a risky move otherwise. If one of the strikers that got us qualified gets injured, things may be different. 

The reason why Che Adam's wants to play for Scotland is because playing at a European Championships is a CV padder. 

There is literally zero chance that he would decide to play for us, and agree not to play at the Euros. 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

I suspect that story was carefully planted in the press, as they were probably getting the paperwork ready for his switch (which apparently can take time) and not really a case of Clarke closing the door but Adam coming to him, so when the day did come it reflects better on Adams than it does on Clarke.

I would not be shocked if Ryan Fredericks is also called up today and Clarke has spent the whole winter going around the doors talking to players.

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Do you really think if Che Adams scores or just even really impresses for the World Cup Qualifiers and McBurnie continues with complete lack of form/goals he will still select him over Che Adams ?? 

7 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If he scores three hattricks then he's going to the euros for sure. 

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

The reason why Che Adam's wants to play for Scotland is because playing at a European Championships is a CV padder. 

There is literally zero chance that he would decide to play for us, and agree not to play at the Euros. 

Its hardly anything new.... Brown was going around asking players before Euro 96 about switching, and Andy Roxburgh used Euro 92 as a carrot to get Darren Anderton in to the Scotland team.

Wales were doing it to great effect when they started winning a few games.

Just now, wanderer said:

Its hardly anything new.... Brown was going around asking players before Euro 96 about switching, and Andy Roxburgh used Euro 92 as a carrot to get Darren Anderton in to the Scotland team.

Wales were doing it to great effect when they started winning a few games.

And like the master tactician he was, Roxburgh decided against capping Anderton. Alright, he was a walking injury, but he had a superb Euro 96.

I don't mind using the rules. The thing that bothers me Is that Adams rejected us, three times

Guest ElChris04

I for one am absolutely delighted at this news. Massive coup for us. 

He’s been fantastic for Southampton in his turn around season, the team is built on hard working individuals and Che is exactly that. I’m sure he’ll be an absolute hit for us. 

He was 19/20 when he turned down an approach from Malky McKay, I’d be giving the lad a break, with agents in his ear among other things the reality he owed us or england nothing. If he wants to now play for us now being in fine form and give it his all then I’m all for it. 

hopefully a means to an end for a player like Oliver Burke or Callum Patterson who offered absolutely nothing in the campaign. 

6 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Do you know him? It is a force majeure that we happen to have WC qualifiers before the Euros. No Ultravox gags please. I think the natural order of things will be respected. 

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

Do you know him? It is a force majeure that we happen to have WC qualifiers before the Euros. No Ultravox gags please. I think the natural order of things will be respected. 

Do you want to bet on that? I'd bet that he'll be in the Euro squad.

The timing is a wee bit strange. The play offs were what, about 4 months ago? Strange that he didn't  change his mind then.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Do you want to bet on that? I'd bet that he'll be in the Euro squad.

The timing is a wee bit strange. The play offs were what, about 4 months ago? Strange that he didn't  change his mind then.

I don’t bet. I accept I could be wrong, but my conclusion is evidence-based i.e. on the words of the manager. It would need a serious U turn from Clarke for Adams to be selected for the the Euros (injuries aside). 

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t bet. I accept I could be wrong, but my conclusion is evidence-based i.e. on the words of the manager. It would need a serious U turn from Clarke for Adams to be selected for the the Euros (injuries aside). 

Wow - if nothing else, I applaud your faith!

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Hopefully Adams has a Euros like Robson-Kanu did!

Yep, and just look at Republic of Ireland, missed out on the Euros and the last few World Cup's, and suddenly players have no interest in talking with them, and even a few who have been capped suddenly saying that they made a mistake and want to play for England.

12 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Yep, and just look at Republic of Ireland, missed out on the Euros and the last few World Cup's, and suddenly players have no interest in talking with them, and even a few who have been capped suddenly saying that they made a mistake and want to play for England.

Yep.

Rice and Grealish are examples.

I very much doubt that Che Adams was home watching Scotland win the play offs. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tough.  That is international football.

We need to be picking the best players for each match, based on a number of factors.

Being involved in the draws against Israel and Serbia (and the 2 defeats after that) shouldn't be enough to get you a place at the Euros.

I've got mixed feelings on Adams but what I can say for certain - he improves our squad.