Che Adams - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Che Adams

wanderer

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yep.

Rice and Grealish are examples.

I very much doubt that Che Adams was home watching Scotland win the play offs. 

If he tuned in to the game, chances are it was more to see how Stewart Armstrong was getting on, rather than wanting Scotland to win.

I do not think anyone is kidding themselves that he is seriously committed to Scotland for anything more than he is nowhere near the England team and Steve Clarke has offered him a chance to go to the Euros.

Its what he does from now on that matters.

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

If he tuned in to the game, chances are it was more to see how Stewart Armstrong was getting on, rather than wanting Scotland to win.

I do not think anyone is kidding themselves that he is seriously committed to Scotland for anything more than he is nowhere near the England team and Steve Clarke has offered him a chance to go to the Euros.

Its what he does from now on that matters.

That's what depresses me the most about the entire thing.

A bit of an over-reaction, but I might throw in the towel if Adams is called up. 

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

The guys who got us to the Euros were Dykes, McBurnie and Burke (only one you could say that has maybe been harsh is Shankland, but he has not taken his game up that notch after so many years of scoring for fun in the Championship).

Sorry to be pernickety but Burke wasn't involved in the play-offs at all and McBurnie's sole contribution was a penalty in the final shoot out which, considering the pressure he's been under, was well taken so fair play to him, but he's been useless otherwise.

Dykes is the only one who can feel aggrieved if he loses his place to Adams, but he's not playing well right now.

I totally understand people being cynical about him changing his tune but the sole purpose of international football is to play the best/most in-form starting 11 possible so based on his current club form I'm happy that Adams will be in future squads.

If he goes off the boil I'll shed no tears if he's binned.

38 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Tough.  That is international football.

We need to be picking the best players for each match, based on a number of factors.

Being involved in the draws against Israel and Serbia (and the 2 defeats after that) shouldn't be enough to get you a place at the Euros.

I've got mixed feelings on Adams but what I can say for certain - he improves our squad.

Exactly.  If the strikers we have already had been doing the business Adams might not even be in contention. But instead we've Griffiths who hasn't scored an international goal in close to 4 years, McBurnie who hasn't scored an international goal...ever, Dykes who has done okay for Scotland but has had a poor season with QPR, Shankland who's been found out in the SPFL, and stand-ins like Burke and Patterson, who have one international goal between them.

I can understand people having reservations about him but what concerns me more is our recent goalscoring record - one goal in open play in 3 matches. Going by his club form it's hard to believe that Adams wouldn't improve that.

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Exactly.  If the strikers we have already had been doing the business Adams might not even be in contention. But instead we've Griffiths who hasn't scored an international goal in close to 4 years, McBurnie who hasn't scored an international goal...ever, Dykes who has done okay for Scotland but has had a poor season with QPR, Shankland who's been found out in the SPFL, and stand-ins like Burke and Patterson, who have one international goal between them.

I can understand people having reservations about him but what concerns me more is our recent goalscoring record - one goal in open play in 3 matches. Going by his club form it's hard to believe that Adams wouldn't improve that.

Yeh when you look at like that it's a no brainer in terms of improving the team. The only discussion is should Dykes be dropped for him as Dykes has done well so far for Scotland. 

You could play Dykes upfront with Adams but then it would be a headache trying to fit in Christie fraser as we have loads of good options in midfield. 

I personally would have 

Jack mctominay 

Christie

Fraser Adams 

Plenty of pace with those two upfront. 

23 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Top scorers for Scotland (players called up in the last 12 months)

1. McGinn (7 in 29)
  2. Forrest (5 in 35)
  3. Christie (4 in 16)
  4. Griffiths (4 in 22)
  5. Robertson (3 in 40)
  6. Armstrong, Dykes and Fraser are all on 2
  7. McLean, Burke, Shankland and Hanley are all on 1.

33 goals from the 27 outfield players that have been called up (and have caps).

Just doing the same for Austria -

1. Arnautović (26 in 87) - 7 less goals that our 27 combined.
  2. Alaba (14 in 76)
  3. Sabitzer (8 in 46)

Scoring goals has pretty much always been our issue.  

While I can understand some of the reservations people have, I’d like to address the point made by Taylor that he’s no better than McBurnie.

Taking their total Premier league record:

Adams 11 goals in 58 games

McBurnie 7 goals in 57 games

Current form (this season)

Adams 7 goals 28 games

McBurnie 1 goal 22 games

More than that, Adams is seen as good at hold up play and bringing others into the game. If anyone has watched McBurnie this season it’s generally a procession of head down running and ineffectual jumping nowhere near the ball.

15 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

While I can understand some of the reservations people have, I’d like to address the point made by Taylor that he’s no better than McBurnie.

Taking their total Premier league record:

Adams 11 goals in 58 games

McBurnie 7 goals in 57 games

Current form (this season)

Adams 7 goals 28 games

McBurnie 1 goal 22 games

More than that, Adams is seen as good at hold up play and bringing others into the game. If anyone has watched McBurnie this season it’s generally a procession of head down running and ineffectual jumping nowhere near the ball.

Purely from watching the 2 Adams is alot better. Adams might not score loads of goals for us but he would provide alot of chances for other players. He's a real team player and works hard and is good at hold up play. 

36 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Our existing strikers have not exactly been knocking them in of late so good time get someone in that's in decent form and getting a few goals at high level. 

100% correct with this post, continuing with McBurnie would be futile! His confidence is low and taking a risk with him in crucial Qualifiers is not the answer..... 

4 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Does Adams have real pace, similar perhaps to Fraser?

Not really..... from what I have seen of him, there is a touch of Stevie Nasmith about him.... will not burst a gut like Kenny Miller and chase after every ball, but has a real eye for getting into positions where he can either have a crack at goal or set things up for others.

15 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Haven’t a clue who he is... who does he play for?

He plays for the same team as Stuart Armstrong and scored a goal live on BBC one all of two days ago and his general profile is a fair bit higher than likes of Shankland given the league he plays in. Also scored v Man. City last week.

Mixed feelings on this one actually.

I'd have prefered for him to declare sometime in last year given Clarke's been chasing him for ages so not huge on just joining the party with the euros three months away now.

From seeing him play a fair bit he's much better playing off a targetman or main striker aswell as he had good success with that at Birmingham and took a while to get going at Southampton but he's now doing o.k playing off Danny Ings.

Not sure it will work if Clarke just plays him as main CF but him and Dykes together in a two would be interesting. Not sure if that would happen though if everyone is fit.

Good to have him on board but let's hope he's not one of these that cry off constantly once the euros are over.

Worth remembering aswell this time last year McBurnie was scoring 7-8 for mid table prem club but that hasn't translated into anything close for NT and he's in big danger of missing out on the final 23 for euros now imo.

Edited by Tartan Chris

21 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Does Adams have real pace, similar perhaps to Fraser?

Nah nowhere near as fast. He's someone who's lively around the forward area and gets on the end of knock downs and gets goals so I'd probably say he's similar in how he plays to Steven Naismith when he had that good scoring run at Everton a few years back.

15 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

This had better not be true.

He was English during the play offs, etc, and now that we've qualified, he's now decided that he's Scottish?!

I would've closed the door to him till after Euro 2020. The players that got us there deserve to be higher in the queue than this guy, a guy who has turned down three approaches to represent Scotland (four, if you count the time when he was asked to play at U21 level).

100 per cent correct.He is English and that's all there is to it.Shouldn't be anywhere near our team.If we don't watch what we are doing,we will end up like the rugby squad,and be full of characters with no connection to Scotand.The guy is a chancer,and  should have been told to get to f..k.Totally shocking decision by Clarke.I really am shocked.

Adams wants to play for Scotland. Clarke left the door open for him and he contacted Clarke to ask to be considered. 

He has never told Scotland to "fuck off" as has been misquoted on here several times. He said he didnt want to be considered when contacted previously. The reason for this has been guessed at but nobody actually knows.  Most likely is that he wanted to see how his career was panning out, yes that makes us 2nd choice but who cares. As ive said previously if a super model wanted to shag brad pitt but he turned them down and they then asked me, I wouldnt be refusing as I wasnt 1st choice!!!

The idea that players pick Scotland to assist club career is also false imo. Adams contract will be 99% based on what he does at Southampton. A good international career defo enhances a reputation but club form is what matters. Otherwise Healy would have been playing his career in the EPL.

People forget that playing international football is actually a hinderance aswell as an honour. Free weeks are given up during the season so no time for recovery or family time which is often spent abroad in places like Dubai. When the country qualifies for a tournament the player gives up the best part of the summer. By the end of the Euros there will only be a few weeks before players return to training.

If Adams has decided he wants to give that up to play for us, gives 100% and earns a place in the team with performances then thats good enough for me.

11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

He has never told Scotland to "f***" as has been misquoted on here several times. He said he didnt want to be considered when contacted previously.

I'm not sure of the difference. One's just more polite

11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

People forget that playing international football is actually a hinderance aswell as an honour.

If anyone finds playing for Scotland a 'hindrance' then I'm happy for them to walk.

50 minutes ago, thesaint said:

100 per cent correct.He is English and that's all there is to it.Shouldn't be anywhere near our team.If we don't watch what we are doing,we will end up like the rugby squad,and be full of characters with no connection to Scotand.The guy is a chancer,and  should have been told to get to f..k.Totally shocking decision by Clarke.I really am shocked.

So you would rather see Jordan Rhodes, Steven Fletcher or Eamonn Brophy resurrected than an in-form striker from the EPL who has a Scottish heritage?

Germany has included non-German players just because they acquire a German passport; we can't do that.

Che Adams Characteristics

+ Strengths

(Player has no significant strengths)

- Weaknesses

Aerial Duels
Weak
Holding on to the ball
Weak
Passing
Weak

Che Adams's Style of Play

Gets fouled often
Likes to play long balls
Plays the ball off the ground often

That's what whoscored.com thinks of him.

Don't get over excited.

McBurnie is having his worst season ever so even that is better than he currently is.

In comparison this what the site thinks of McBurnie.

Oliver McBurnie Characteristics

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels
Very Strong
Defensive contribution
Very Strong
Holding on to the ball
Strong
Headed attempts
Strong

- Weaknesses

Finishing
Weak

Oliver McBurnie's Style of Play

Likes to do flick ons
Likes to tackle

OK he has looked nothing like that for Scotland ever and nothing like  that at club level this season but Che Adams isn't some super star who is going to make us world beaters

28 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

+ Strengths

- Weaknesses

Aerial Duels
Weak
Holding on to the ball
Weak
Passing
Weak

Gets fouled often
Likes to play long balls

Don't get over excited.

McBurnie is having his worst season ever so even that is better than he currently is.

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels
Very Strong
Defensive contribution
Very Strong
Holding on to the ball
Strong
Headed attempts
Strong

- Weaknesses

Finishing
Weak

Likes to do flick ons
Likes to tackle

OK he has looked nothing like that for Scotland ever and nothing like  that at club level this season but Che Adams isn't some super star who is going to make us world beaters

Whoever wrote that analysis is talking shite, Che Adams is far better player who can actually do the basics of football like passing and controlling a ball. Having seen both players for their clubs Che Adams looks streets ahead of McBurnie. 

52 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

+ Strengths

- Weaknesses

Aerial Duels
Weak
Holding on to the ball
Weak
Passing
Weak

Gets fouled often
Likes to play long balls

Don't get over excited.

+ Strengths

Aerial Duels
Very Strong
Defensive contribution
Very Strong
Holding on to the ball
Strong
Headed attempts
Strong

- Weaknesses

Finishing
Weak

Likes to do flick ons
Likes to tackle

You missed out unable to pass and control a ball in weaknesses 

I live in Southampton. I'm a Southampton fan.

Having represented another nation at U21 level (or whichever level it was) I'm not sure I approve of him being called up for us. Until now, he hasn't shown much interest and apparently it was a very late decision to commit.

However, he's committed now so I'll support him.

What's he like? 

Physically strong; he does a lot of running and works hard for the team.

He doesn't score enough goals. He regularly goes long periods without scoring - followed by 'purple patches' when he'll bang in a few.

When he does score; they tend to be quite special.

I think this will work out well.

Although they're quite similar (short; stocky; bags of pace) I can well imagine Ryan Fraser and Che Adams playing together; breaking with pace and causing panic in opposition defences. 

Whether the ball would end up in the back of the net is another matter, but I can see rattled defences.