John collins talking sense on sportsound - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

John collins talking sense on sportsound

Malcolm

11 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Well this reply just strikes me that you have no idea what you would do to develop young players in this country so you are right it isn't going anywhere

With respect I was happy to end it there, there was no need for the wee dig. 

If our intention is promotion of Scottish youth. Surely a rule compelling clubs to play youngsters in their starting 11 would be more effective? Or a whole bunch of other things besides.

The truth is this has got fuck all to do with promoting Scottish youth and everything to do with promoting the old firm. 

Which wouldn't be so bad, if they weren't a horrible set of bigots, who do a tremendous amount of damage to the communities they touch and Scotland as a whole. We should be limiting their ability to cause such damage, not giving them more opportunity. 

I'd abolish the old firm A teams before giving them a B team.

58 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

That other guy (was it the stenny chairman?) fair took John Collins to pieces right enough and competently debunked this shitey idea. 

Considering it works well elsewhere why not try it. 

The leagues are stale & playing each other 4 times a season is nonsense.

It’s a good idea, I hope it happens. 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Considering it works well elsewhere why not try it. 

The leagues are stale & playing each other 4 times a season is nonsense.

It’s a good idea, I hope it happens. 

Which leagues are stale? The three leagues below the Premiership are usually quite competitive, the stale league is the top league and colt teams won't make any difference to that,if anything they would widen the gap and make the Premiership even more stale.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Which leagues are stale? The three leagues below the Premiership are usually quite competitive, the stale league is the top league and colt teams won't make any difference to that,if anything they would widen the gap and make the Premiership even more stale.

yes they are competitive... competitively $hit.  Even watching the Scottish championship on Alba can be eye bleeding.  Below that and you are in to local community clubs run by local businessmen where hoofball is the order of the day.  These clubs are not even equivalent of English non league.  I think John Collins has it spot on.  Too many Diddy self interested clubs with a couple of hundred fans.  Do we want to be a Belgium or Croatia or watch our game continue to fall in to international oblivion.  In my lifetime we have dropped from being a top side that most countries would fear into a third, fourth rate joke.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

yes they are competitive... competitively $hit.  Even watching the Scottish championship on Alba can be eye bleeding.  Below that and you are in to local community clubs run by local businessmen where hoofball is the order of the day.  These clubs are not even equivalent of English non league.  I think John Collins has it spot on.  Too many Diddy self interested clubs with a couple of hundred fans.  Do we want to be a Belgium or Croatia or watch our game continue to fall in to international oblivion.  In my lifetime we have dropped from being a top side that most countries would fear into a third, fourth rate joke.

I'm trying to understand the point your trying to make, is it simply these teams are diddies and don't matter so we just fuck them over? And you blame them for us being a "fourth rate joke"

As has been said and I don't think anyone would argue with this, the greed of elite teams in Scotland fucked over the national team, it wasn't small clubs playing in league one and two.

John Collins isn't spot on at all, he has no clue what he is talking about hence the reason he doesn't get employed by anyone.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

All the leagues are stale. Change at the bottom is a start & senior football earlier for youth players is always a good idea.

I think most impartial people can see the benefits of it. 

12 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

All the leagues are stale. Change at the bottom is a start & senior football earlier for youth players is always a good idea.

I think most impartial people can see the benefits of it. 

You didn't answer the question, why are the leagues stale? We know the top league is stale. 

I think your last sentence is leading to anti old firm shite again, I've already said I wouldn't  want my own team have a colt team. 

I agree, youth players playing senior football is a great idea but how about we encourage the top teams to play their youth players instead of buying in players? 

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm trying to understand the point your trying to make, is it simply these teams are diddies and don't matter so we just fuck them over? And you blame them for us being a "fourth rate joke"

As has been said and I don't think anyone would argue with this, the greed of elite teams in Scotland fucked over the national team, it wasn't small clubs playing in league one and two.

John Collins isn't spot on at all, he has no clue what he is talking about hence the reason he doesn't get employed by anyone.

our club structure is archaic.  I’m not blaming them for us being fourth rate joke, I blaming Scottish football, ie the sfa for not making the changes.  Ernie walkers think tank anybody?  We have been the boiling frog for 40 years...lots of think tanks not much action.  

John Collins is far more forward thinking than your average Scotland footballer and demands high standards.  That’s why the players turned on him at hibs.  

The lower leagues are stale. I used to attend about 3 out of 4 Airdrie games , home and away for years however stopped going because it was the same teams over and over and also normally by around October there will be a runaway winner of the league so the rest are only looking to get into a playoff kr avoid relegation.

Part time teams and community clubs are great for what they are but they dont contribute to the top end of Scottish football. I would much rather watch Airdire in an expanded part time league with two 20 team divisions including some lowland and highland teams.

Then have 2 top full time divisions where proper focus can be placed on things like youth development etc

16 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Donald Findlay talking nonsense on this right now.  Diddy clubs having a vote is holding back out game. 

You want to put the control of the game in the hands of the greedy bastards who have fucked the game with their short term thinking and terrible decision making

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

You didn't answer the question, why are the leagues stale? We know the top league is stale. 

I think your last sentence is leading to anti old firm shite again, I've already said I wouldn't  want my own team have a colt team. 

I agree, youth players playing senior football is a great idea but how about we encourage the top teams to play their youth players instead of buying in players? 

I know we've had our wee run in on here before but I agree the top teams need more encouragement in playing young Scottish players. Although I like the idea of the B teams I can see the benefits, it also may prove pointless if the young players still don't get a chance with the first teams at their clubs. Can a rule change be implemented by the governing bodies to make clubs play a certain quota of homegrown players or at least have them in their squads? Or would that come down to a vote as well? Maybe it should be put to the old firm that they can have their b teams if.... They also agree to a change in rules on a quota of homegrown players in their match day squads, and I don't mean a token 3 on the bench, I mean 50 percent of the team

1 minute ago, bazmidd said:

I know we've had our wee run in on here before but I agree the top teams need more encouragement in playing young Scottish players. Although I like the idea of the B teams I can see the benefits, it also may prove pointless if the young players still don't get a chance with the first teams at their clubs. Can a rule change be implemented by the governing bodies to make clubs play a certain quota of homegrown players or at least have them in their squads? Or would that come down to a vote as well? Maybe it should be put to the old firm that they can have their b teams if.... They also agree to a change in rules on a quota of homegrown players in their match day squads, and I don't mean a token 3 on the bench, I mean 50 percent of the team

This is my worry and probably why we disagreed, Scottish clubs only play their youngsters when they are forced to or they find an absolute diamond of a player. I don't trust any of them with a colt team. 

I suspect any change to rules regarding younger players would come to a vote and the vote would lose, no way the OF and possibly aberdeen would agree to it because they have their own interests at heart

For any changes to youth development you need everyone to be pulling in the same direction, I reckon we would both agree that won't happen in Scottish football.

• 4 weeks later...