John collins talking sense on sportsound - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

John collins talking sense on sportsound

Malcolm

I never listened to tonight’s show because I was baffled by John Collin’s dinosaur assertion last week that Rangers DOF Ross Wilson couldn’t spot a player because he’d never had a professional career, despite him having a really good track record and having signed Van Dijk etc while at Southampton.

Would like to see colt teams introduced though.

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Colt teams would be good imo but they have to make it an option for all clubs and not just the old firm or it would be unfair. 

Could the other clubs afford it?

I don't want to see Colt teams and I include Aberdeen in that opinion. The authorities in Scotland will make it open to all but the reality is it will only be for the Old firm and they will benefit most from this.

Half of what Collins says is shit, but he says it well. He definitely comes across better than most ex players, but the colts idea is nonsense IMO, it only benefits two clubs, who already get every benefit going. 

39 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Half of what Collins says is shit, but he says it well. He definitely comes across better than most ex players, but the colts idea is nonsense IMO, it only benefits two clubs, who already get every benefit going. 

It benefits the national team too obviously to develop the best young players in Scotland. 

28 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It benefits the national team too obviously to develop the best young players in Scotland. 

As long as it's Scottish players getting a game for the colt teams. Rangers especially seem to be filling their squad with young players from elsewhere. 

34 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Will it?  Most those kids won't go on to represent either club let alone the National team so imo it will benefit no-one other than Rangers or Celtic to the detriment of the lower league clubs and the competitiveness of the lower leagues.

Also as a Morton fan I'll have no extra interest watching my team play a Premiership clubs kids side than I would Queen of the South or Ayr United, in fact I would be less interested.

This just reeks of the old firm now having to deal with the problem of them hoovering up all the decent talent and money within Scottish Football and now have nowhere to actually develop these kids as no other club can afford to run a decent reserve side and league.

Colts, along with the Welsh and Irish sides, have added nothing to the Challenge Cup, they've ruined it in fact and will add nothing to the lower leagues

8 hours ago, kwhitelaw said:

Will it?  Most those kids won't go on to represent either club let alone the National team so imo it will benefit no-one other than Rangers or Celtic to the detriment of the lower league clubs and the competitiveness of the lower leagues.

Also as a Morton fan I'll have no extra interest watching my team play a Premiership clubs kids side than I would Queen of the South or Ayr United, in fact I would be less interested.

This just reeks of the old firm now having to deal with the problem of them hoovering up all the decent talent and money within Scottish Football and now have nowhere to actually develop these kids as no other club can afford to run a decent reserve side and league.

Colts, along with the Welsh and Irish sides, have added nothing to the Challenge Cup, they've ruined it in fact and will add nothing to the lower leagues

It's not designed to add anything to the lower leagues. It's designed to aid the development of some of the best young players in the country. Like it or not the Old Firm have the best young players in the country at all respective age levels. Rangers and Celtics youth teams though reach a point where they are no longer challenged, which stalls player development, colt teams playing against senior sides would provide a new challenge at a critical stage of their development

17 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

It's not designed to add anything to the lower leagues. It's designed to aid the development of some of the best young players in the country. Like it or not the Old Firm have the best young players in the country at all respective age levels. Rangers and Celtics youth teams though reach a point where they are no longer challenged, which stalls player development, colt teams playing against senior sides would provide a new challenge at a critical stage of their development

Rangers and celtic have the best young players? 

What's this based on?

Edited by vanderark14

9 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Would it be better if the Performance Schools entered a "colt" team in the league? 

I think the issue will be that Rangers & Celtic colts will probably bring a decent fan base and therefore money, the performance schools probably wouldn’t 

11 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Rangers and celtic have the best young players? 

What's this based on?

Come on mate. It's based on the fact they are the best by a mile at youth level. They can cherry pick all the best young players, I seen it myself growing up, everyone training with clubs at 15 and 16 wanted to be playing for Rangers or Celtic, it's obvious why, they are the biggest and best clubs in Scotland. I don't support or particularly like either of them myself but even I can admit that 

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I think the issue will be that Rangers & Celtic colts will probably bring a decent fan base and therefore money, the performance schools probably wouldn’t 

This is where it all becomes muddy. The main 'issue ' here should be about player development, trying something to develop the best youth players in Scotland. But for clubs in these lower leagues it isn't about that, it's only about what's in it for them. That's what's holding this country back. In my opinion lower League clubs shouldn't have a say when it comes to elite player development in Scotland as they offer nothing towards it.the amount of clubs in 'Professional' Scottish leagues who show no ambition n and do nothing to improve the game in this country but are happy to just suck the game dry is a disgrace 

53 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

This is where it all becomes muddy. The main 'issue ' here should be about player development, trying something to develop the best youth players in Scotland. But for clubs in these lower leagues it isn't about that, it's only about what's in it for them. That's what's holding this country back. In my opinion lower League clubs shouldn't have a say when it comes to elite player development in Scotland as they offer nothing towards it.the amount of clubs in 'Professional' Scottish leagues who show no ambition n and do nothing to improve the game in this country but are happy to just suck the game dry is a disgrace 

i agree with this.  If we have aspirations to be a Belgium or Croatia, we need to get with the programme.  Every club that can afford to have one should be able to enter a colt team.  It’s not a rangers and Celtic thing.

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

Come on mate. It's based on the fact they are the best by a mile at youth level. They can cherry pick all the best young players, I seen it myself growing up, everyone training with clubs at 15 and 16 wanted to be playing for Rangers or Celtic, it's obvious why, they are the biggest and best clubs in Scotland. I don't support or particularly like either of them myself but even I can admit that 

They don't dominate the youth league the same way they do the Premiership. 

Just now, Malcolm said:

i agree with this.  If we have aspirations to be a Belgium or Croatia, we need to get with the programme.  Every club that can afford to have one should be able to enter a colt team.  It’s not a rangers and Celtic thing.

You're being extremely naive if you believe that.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

We could always just bring back a proper reserve league?...

Do people honestly believe rangers and celtic playing youth teams in our league 2 will start a conveyer belt of youngsters for Scotland? Do they think the Old Firm will promote them to the first teams?

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

Scottish football isn't a mess because of lower league clubs. It's in a mess because the elite clubs are greedy bastards and they've let themselves believe or in some cases they actually rely on the old firm to survive. 

25 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

As far as youth development goes, Dundee United are probably far out ahead of other Scottish teams: Souttar Brothers, Robertson, Gauld to name just four. Now there's Neilson and Mochrie.

They're doing things right.

For the simple reason Dundee United are a club that can allow players to continue developing. The standard at Dundee United is not as high as Rangers or Celtic so the path to the first team is easier. If Dundee United had Rangers or Celtics youth team then even more would come through as the Rangers and Celtic youth teams are better than Uniteds. The big problem is a pathway that can allow players to keep developing on the road to where the want to get to. It is nigh on impossible to expect a host of Rangers or Celtic youth players to come through the same way they come through at United, for the simple fact they are trying to displace far better players. But if these players were to reach 18 and instead of stagnating at youth level where they are already better than their peers, if they were to then be tested in Men's football for two years they may well develop further and  have a better chance