Violence against women - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Violence against women

35 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

interestingly both my son and I have been attacked by random males, I was in my early 20s in Castlemilk waiting for a bus and my son was attacked in the affluent low crime area where we live. I think he was about 20 or 21 at the time. Neither my wife not daughter have ever been attacked but both are more aware of the possibility.

Exactly the point I was making. The fear isn't evidence based in the main. Of course some women will have had such experiences but it is more likely to happen to men but they are not walking about in fear.

23 minutes ago, phart said:

I never considered it either, then when I went to university we had various "workshops" about personal safety etc and it was mentioned. This was in 2001.

If there are woman on both sides of the street then you're not walking behind someone alone and it becomes a moot point. It's not like you zig zag when there are dozens of women either.

I'm genuinely astonished how something that seems so simple has multiple folk bewildered. I guess the gaussian distribution is a lot wider then I realised.

Maybe that is why I am not bothered. No one ever told me to be when I was a Uni.

I am more concerned about men in cars. For some reason they think that being in a car gives them a right to shout things or toot at you. I also feel that they could stop and drag you in. If a car slows down when I am out on my own running I get a bit anxious.

This too I know is irrational as the chances of it happening are very low.

43 minutes ago, phart said:

I never considered it either, then when I went to university we had various "workshops" about personal safety etc and it was mentioned. This was in 2001.

If there are woman on both sides of the street then you're not walking behind someone alone and it becomes a moot point. It's not like you zig zag when there are dozens of women either.

I'm genuinely astonished how something that seems so simple has multiple folk bewildered. I guess the gaussian distribution is a lot wider then I realised.

I am often bewildered by, what appears to me, the ridiculous behaviour of others. ;)

Edited by Orraloon

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I am often bewildered by, what appears to me, the ridiculous behaviour of others. ;)

It's that egocentric mindset. Some folk only understand the world as it relates to them. Hence the confusion when seeing others act for reasons that don't affect them. At least you've not started voting Tory I presume. ;)

23 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

The streets arent safe, they have never been safe and will never be safe. Thats the way of human life im afraid.

What annoys me about things like this are the numerous things you see on things like FB where it lists a load of things like taking keys out, crossing the road, telling a friend to txt when home and pretending to phone somebody when passing a group. Then at the end it says if you have done these things then you are female. Well no, most guys have been scared when walking the streets. Just for different reasons. Women fear sexual violence, men fear phyical violence. Neither is acceptable.

The other thing that annoys me is the phrase "you cant know what its like". To be a women, a homosexual, trans etc etc. Totally correct but thw same can be said in reverse.

This is spot on, surley the majority of folk have been a bit scared walking home, and also thought "why the fuck didnt i just get a taxi" 
When I was in my teens to early 20s the young team in barrhead were absolute cocks out jumping people constantly, it was always a risk walking home, but they were attacking guys.

On 3/14/2021 at 8:55 PM, phart said:

You're conflating arguments , i'm explaining the rationale behind crossing the street, you had framed it in an egocentric manner. I explained it wasn't about you in anyway but the anxiety of someone else. That's the reasoning behind it. 

I'd suggest using Facebook as a source for any subject is the start of your problems Kirk, i'm not surprised you've found simplistic , infuriating arguements being made on there. I stopped using it a year ago for that very reason.

I totally get what you are saying it's just not something I would think about, I'd certainly give people space as I passed and vice versa but I wouldnt go out my way to cross the road. 

Aye facebook is mad at times, most of the time now I use it to wind up folk on the tory pages. I've taken a step back from arguing most things, and apparently i'm a terf too so there you go haha. The main reason I have it is to keep up with folk from my travels easily.

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I have never heard of this crossing the street to avoid a woman stuff. When did that even become a thing? It's not something I have ever considered doing. For those of you who do it, what happens if there is a woman on both sides of the street? Do you walk down the middle of the road and risk getting hit by a bus?

Agreed, I totally get what they are saying but it's certainly never been something I've heard of at all. 

I may be wrong but my take on the crossing the road safety point was if you wanted to overtake a female walking on their own at night, there always seems to be this awkward aspect of walking quicker/ a light run to pass by someone (or is this just me), so if at night and you want to do this it may make someone feel anxious if you are walking quicker to pass them.

On the educate sons topic I listened to this again last week and its really interesting! Its like 8 minutes long but so informative. 

5 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Have a look when you are out and about. There are many women who run on their own. I never worried about it until I broke my arm. My fear is being on my own in that situation not many other.

Again this is perceived danger not real danger and the more people speak about it in terms that it is real the more the fear will grown.. Women who went out on their own will now start to think twice. No one is willing to stand up and actually say the danger is no where near as real and it kid being made out or perceived because it looks insensitive or like you don't believe women. It is a hard message to get across in a sensitive way but I really think it is important to tackle this misperception.

We need to be concentrating on domestic violence and violence by people you actually know because that is where the danger actually is.

24 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Have a look when you are out and about. There are many women who run on their own. I never worried about it until I broke my arm. My fear is being on my own in that situation not many other.

Again this is perceived danger not real danger and the more people speak about it in terms that it is real the more the fear will grown.. Women who went out on their own will now start to think twice. No one is willing to stand up and actually say the danger is no where near as real and it kid being made out or perceived because it looks insensitive or like you don't believe women. It is a hard message to get across in a sensitive way but I really think it is important to tackle this misperception.

We need to be concentrating on domestic violence and violence by people you actually know because that is where the danger actually is.

I actually don't think she literally meant that women don't feel safe exercising alone . I think she meant it on a general thing, that women, generally, don't feel safe walking alone/being alone outside.

Isn't perceived danger just another way of saying potential danger, though? though besides, forewarned is forearmed.

There's a massive spectrum when it comes to toxic masculinity. Just look at Hollywood as an example, with Weinstein, (Epstein. Fine, not Hollywood, but still an a-hole), Cosby and god knows how many more huge players in Hollywood will get found guilty of throwing their weight around. Joss Whedon used his position to cheat on his wife, multiple times, with starlets. Whedon also sacked an actress (Charisma Carpenter) for getting pregnant, during the run of the series "Angel".

Doesn't matter the rank of a male, he could be a captain of industry or a bin man. Doesn't matter one jot. The statistics are damning.

39 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Agreed, and I’m sure this is recognised in the stats, while men are more likely to be victims by other men who they don’t know. 

Sarah was unlucky, it’s an absolute tragedy and hopefully the guy is caught and spends the rest of his years in jail. 

And the narrative turns back to "men" and "victims" being in the same sentence.

This isn't about men being attacked, assaulted or raped. At all.

It's akin to the people who reply to "Black Lives Matter" with, "All lives matter". Duh. White lives have always mattered. That's the point.

Edited by Taylor1996

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

And the narrative turns back to "men" and "victims" being in the same sentence.

This isn't about men being attacked, assaulted or raped. At all.

It's akin to the people who reply to "Black Lives Matter" with, "All lives matter". Duh. While lives have always mattered. That's the point.

It’s just a point about male violence, not attempting to change the narrative etc 

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s just a point about male violence, not attempting to change the narrative etc 

I've never been attacked in my life, nor have I ever felt threatened, out and about. Why? Because I can handle myself and because men are physically built differently to women.

Would I feel vulnerable if I were female? Damn right I would. I've attended rape therapy group therapy sessions that would make your hair stand on end.

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Can you run for office...

I went out for a walk last night, along the front of Dundee, it’s roughly about 6 miles, there were plenty of single men and women, and also groups of two men and women. It’s a popular walking area, even late at night.

As I turned off the front, to go home, there’s a path that isn’t as well lit, suddenly there was a dim shadow, I turned around, and I was alone, the shadow was obviously mine, from a far off light.

Can’t say for certain, but I’d guess I only looked because of what’s happened recently, normally that sort of thing wouldn’t bother me at all.