Scotland's Austria Hampden clash thrown into turmoil as Steve Clarke braces for World Cup venue chaos - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland's Austria Hampden clash thrown into turmoil as Steve Clarke braces for World Cup venue chaos

Taylor1996

Few stories that UEFA will probably side with us in this case, as the issue is Germany have blackballed the U.K., while most of Europe have not (including Austria) hence Slavia Prague are able to travel to Glasgow next week.

If Austria had been the same, then there would be a stronger call to move the game, but it’s more Austria can not call up German based players rather than Austria are able to travel.

Edited by wanderer

45 minutes ago, jimbers said:

I say switch it so Austria play behind closed doors and we play them at Hampden in September 

That's one of the options. That, or a neutral venue.

Or a better option would be to play Austria at Hampden with Austria without 16 of the German based players.

I'll take option C. ;)

7 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Few stories that UEFA will probably side with us in this case, as the issue is Germany have blackballed the U.K., while most of Europe have not (including Austria) hence Slavia Prague are able to travel to Glasgow next week.

If Austria had been the same, then there would be a stronger call to move the game, but it’s more Austria can not call up German based players rather than Austria are able to travel.

Hopefully.

Playing it at a neutral venue will penalise us and be totally unfair.

Norway game with Turkey has been moved to Malaga, so their is games being moved, but not many (I think there is another one).

England are playing the Czechs at Wembley (and the Czech Republic is suppose to be Europe’s black spot for COVID in the whole of Europe just now) and Wales are playing Mexico in Cardiff, so imagine UEFA will probably more likely side with us, but take nothing for granted at the moment.

Austria should be told to bolt. No way should we have to give up home advantage (albeit in an empty stadium). If that means playing a team of non Germany based players, I’m sure Austria can find the required players.

Bit like the Czechia U20 team we beat last year.

Neutral venue doesn’t work unless the reverse fixture is neutral.

Switching fixtures isn’t fair on those who have booked travel. But does give us a full Hampden in return (SFA money men will be all over this).

Another option is switch fixtures and have the switched fixture at a neutral venue.

I would be sticking to my guns and tell them to get lost.

J

Apparently if Austria request that the away game is switched to a neutral venue, then they have to forfeit their home return game also, which comes with financial costs (especially as its looking likely that fans may be allowed back after the Euros).

I imagine short term they may request fixtures are reversed, but I suspect this will probably go nowhere.

Edited by wanderer

19 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Apparently if Austria request that the away game is switched to a neutral venue, then they have to forfeit their home return game also, which comes with financial costs (especially as its looking likely that fans may be allowed back after the Euros).

I imagine short term they may request fixtures are reversed, but I suspect this will probably go nowhere.

Yea, I read the Austrian FA weren’t happy about switching as they’re give up a full house in September.

From a purely selfish Scottish qualifying for Qatar point of view this is great news if there’s no German based players.

J

34 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Austria should be told to bolt. No way should we have to give up home advantage (albeit in an empty stadium). If that means playing a team of non Germany based players, I’m sure Austria can find the required players.

Bit like the Czechia U20 team we beat last year.

Neutral venue doesn’t work unless the reverse fixture is neutral.

Switching fixtures isn’t fair on those who have booked travel. But does give us a full Hampden in return (SFA money men will be all over this).

Another option is switch fixtures and have the switched fixture at a neutral venue.

I would be sticking to my guns and tell them to get lost.

J

I agree.

It is not Scotland's fault in any way shape or form that Austria are in this predicament so why should Scotland be penalised. UEFA should issue them the ultimatum that they fulfil the fixture or forfeit three points.

49 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Looking through their squad it seems that not having any German based players would destroy them. Their most experienced and best players play in Germany. Would be a massive boost for us if they had to play the game without them. 

It could be a double edged sword, as both Rapid Vienna, LASK and Red Bull Salzburg have loads of European experience in recent years (with Rapid and Red Bull both beating Rangers and Celtic in Europe fairly recently), so its not going to be the C style team we faced against the Czech, but style a good standard team.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

It could be a double edged sword, as both Rapid Vienna, LASK and Red Bull Salzburg have loads of European experience in recent years (with Rapid and Red Bull both beating Rangers and Celtic in Europe fairly recently), so its not going to be the C style team we faced against the Czech, but style a good standard team.

Yeh I am guessing they will still have a decent team and we are the type of side that can struggle against any half decent team. 

Well thats quite pleasing news, Imagine we could not pick any English Based players....

Their main striker is also based in China and he cannae travel either,...... 

TBH  I would rather be at a full Hampden with a full strength Austrian Team...

However this news will ease the pain.

19 minutes ago, stocky said:

Well thats quite pleasing news, Imagine we could not pick any English Based players....

What would our team look like without English based players. 

Gordon 

Odonnell Gallagher hendry Hickey

Forrest Jack McGregor  gauld

Christie

Griffiths Nisbet 

That's the best I could come up with without English based players. There's Morgan and Russell in the mls but I would say Gauld might be a better option. 

Tbf 4/5 of those players are first team picks anyways. 

37 minutes ago, stocky said:

The thing to be wary about though is they are calling upon a number of players who have a ton of European experience about them.

If we were to lose English based players we would be in a much worse position, as the one Scot in the Rangers team who is eligible/wants to play, is already in the Scotland first team, as is the 3/4 Celtic players... rest of the team would be made up of Hibs and Aberdeen players....

Austria on the other hand are calling up players from LASK who made the last 16 of last years Europa League, and beat Sporting Lisbon 4-1 in the play off's for this years Europa League, where they drew 3-3 with Spurs.

I think its gave us a much better chance, but we are going to have to play A LOT better than we did against the Czech side made up of Ostrava and Olomuic players.

23 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

What would our team look like without English based players. 

Gordon 

Odonnell Gallagher hendry Hickey

Forrest Jack McGregor  gauld

Christie

Griffiths Nisbet 

That's the best I could come up with without English based players. There's Morgan and Russell in the mls but I would say Gauld might be a better option. 

Tbf 4/5 of those players are first team picks anyways. 

I think it shows we are starting to get some strength in depth.  Don't get me wrong, I'd be very worried about fielding a team without any English-based players but this isn't an awful team -

Gordon

Gallagher   Hendry   Considine

Patterson     Jack     McGregor     Taylor

Forrest     Griffiths     Christie

I think it says a lot when Turnbull and Gauld wouldn't be in everyone's team.  

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

The thing to be wary about though is they are calling upon a number of players who have a ton of European experience about them.

If we were to lose English based players we would be in a much worse position, as the one Scot in the Rangers team who is eligible/wants to play, is already in the Scotland first team, as is the 3/4 Celtic players... rest of the team would be made up of Hibs and Aberdeen players....

Austria on the other hand are calling up players from LASK who made the last 16 of last years Europa League, and beat Sporting Lisbon 4-1 in the play off's for this years Europa League, where they drew 3-3 with Spurs.

I think its gave us a much better chance, but we are going to have to play A LOT better than we did against the Czech side made up of Ostrava and Olomuic players.

Agreed. This isn't quite as bad as the issues the Czechs had (it's not far off though).

Even if the Austrians plead with the German clubs to release players for the Scotland game alone, and then put them up in Hotels straight after the game for quarantine, its Bayern Munich v Red Bull Leipzig straight after the international break, and I doubt they will want of their players cooked up in a hotel for 7-14 days on down time ahead of a top of the table clash in the Bundasliga. 

13 minutes ago, paper_lion said:

Agreed. This isn't quite as bad as the issues the Czechs had (it's not far off though).

Worry is if they try to talk Zlatko Junuzović out of international retirement (55 caps) and use the chance to fend off Turkey by getting Ercan Kara capped.