UEFA Group F - March 2021 predictions - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

UEFA Group F - March 2021 predictions

PASTA Mick

UEFA Group F - March 2021 predictions  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How many points we will have after the matches against Austria (H), Israel (A) and Faroe Islands (H)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/28/2021 at 06:45 PM

So that's a +10 goal difference for Denmark already! They look like they have that kind of blend of physicality and skill that we so often struggle against.

On the other hand, and on a more positive note (for us), Moldova looked absolutely dreadful.

48 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Denmark did that with their reserve team btw....made 9-10 changes from the other night!

Simply can't afford to mess up v Moldova, pretty sure dropped points v them under Vogts years back?

Aye, we drew 1-1 over there and beat them 2-0 at Hampden under Walter Smith.

They looked like a better team in those days, although perhaps they've us to thank for that.  :lol:

Looking at my initial predictions - 

• 25 March 2021
    • Israel v Denmark - Draw
    • Moldova v Faroe Islands - Draw
    • Scotland v Austria - Draw
  • 28 March 2021
    • Denmark v Moldova -Denmark win
    • Austria v Faroe Islands - Austria win
    • Israel v Scotland - Draw
  • 31 March 2021
    • Austria v Denmark - Draw
    • Moldovia v Israel - Israel win
    • Scotland v Faroe Islands - Scotland win

I'm not sure what the best result is for us in the Austria v Denmark game.  Probably anything other than an Austria win?

Looking further ahead -

• 1 September 2021
    • Denmark v Scotland
    • Faroe Islands v Israel
    • Moldova v Austria
  • 4 September 2021
    • Faroe Islands v Denmark
    • Israel v Austria
    • Scotland v Moldova
  • 7 September 2021 
    • Austria v Scotland
    • Denmark v Israel
    • Faroe Islands v Moldova

We've easy got the toughest fixtures of the 4 teams with away matches against the top 2 seeds.  

Ive just been having a wee look at Israel results and guess what they played Austria in qualifying for Euro 2020 game at home they won 4-2 and away they got beat 3-1. they will also think they can still get 2nd spot im sure

Honestly don't think much has changed...well apart from the majority who seem to be demanding 1st spot now all of a sudden...

Anyway. To have any chance of 2nd need 12 points from Moldova-Faroes which I think everyone would agree with and then try to finally end the Israel jinx by beating them at Hampden. Gets to 17 points there so then could be something like two draws from the remaining games v Austria and Denmark as usually 19-20 points gets 2nd.

If Austria only get 1 point from the Denmark games and lose in Israel as they did in the last qualification they will only be able to get to 20 points as a maximum so certainly don't need to be potentially shooting 24-25 points imo.

Still lots to play for infact, I'd be expecting to be 2nd on Weds evening.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Honestly don't think much has changed...well apart from the majority who seem to be demanding 1st spot now all of a sudden...

Anyway. To have any chance of 2nd need 12 points from Moldova-Faroes which I think everyone would agree with and then try to finally end the Israel jinx by beating them at Hampden. Gets to 17 points there so then could be something like two draws from the remaining games v Austria and Denmark as usually 19-20 points gets 2nd.

If Austria only get 1 point from the Denmark games and lose in Israel as they did in the last qualification they will only be able to get to 20 points as a maximum so certainly don't need to be potentially shooting 24-25 points imo.

Still lots to play for infact, I'd be expecting to be 2nd on Weds evening.

Nobody is demanding first but in a group without any of the big hitters there is no reason that we should not be aiming for first. 

Being 2nd on Wednesday evening counts for absolutely hee-haw. 

I'm fairly confident that Austria will hit 21 points, despite them being beaten by Israel previously I expect them to take 6 points off israel unfortunately. 

On current form it'll take something very 6 special for us to hit 20 points. I'd say we're more likely to drop points away to the Faroes than pick up points away to Austria and Denmark. 

Edited by dezmondo

9 minutes ago, dezmondo said:

Nobody is demanding first but in a group without any of the big hitters there is no reason that we should not be aiming for first. 

Being 2nd on Wednesday evening counts for absolutely hee-haw. 

I'm fairly confident that Austria will hit 21 points, despite them being beaten by Israel previously I expect them to take 6 points off israel unfortunately. 

On current form it'll take something very 6 special for us to hit 20 points. I'd say we're more likely to drop points away to the Faroes than pick up points away to Austria and Denmark. 

So all we need to do is beat Denmark at home,Austria away, take  12 points of the minnows,beat Israel at home and hope Denmark beat Austria twice and that our goal difference is good enough for second?

Any one fancy starting a thread for who we need to qualify for the playoffs for our final position in the nations League to sneak us in that way. We blew it big style there.

45 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Any one fancy starting a thread for who we need to qualify for the playoffs for our final position in the nations League to sneak us in that way. We blew it big style there.

Zero chance there, it only applies to Nations League group winners. 

Technically the Faroes could get to the play offs if the groups work out in their favour...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

34 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So all we need to do is beat Denmark at home,Austria away, take  12 points of the minnows,beat Israel at home and hope Denmark beat Austria twice and that our goal difference is good enough for second?

We have a 0% chance of getting into the play offs via the nations league unfortunately. 

If we had won against either against Israel or Slovakia we'd very very likely already have a play off spot. Those were much worse results than these two. 

I had predicted 7 points before the rumors of Austria's B Team coming, I wish we had more but I can't help but feel very enthusiastic tonight.  The next three games will be massive in terms of what we accomplish and what Israel can do to disrupt things.

Edited by romanticscot