Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

Guest ElChris04

Posted my 26 man squad I’d like to see yesterday so may aswell post the team I’d go with too. With Clarke’s preferred back three system in mind. 

Gordon 

Hendry-Cooper-Tierney 

Patterson-McTominay-McGinn-Robertson 

Armstrong

Dykes-Adams 

I’ll explain a few of my reasons for certain players over others.

Marshall, I love the man but I prefer Gordon all round, if Marsh does start I’ll have no issues but just my own personal preference. 

McGregor, he’s been all round terrible this season for Celtic, I can say that as a supporter who’s watched him week in and week out. And just doesn’t fill me with the confidence others do, I’d like to see McGinn dropped deeper into his position giving he’s equally as good in a box to box role along with McTominay. And I’d bring in Armstrong who’s link up play with Adams could prove really vital for us, also adding in he’s been absolutely brilliant for Southampton this season - He Gauld or Turnbull would be fantastic in the role but Armstrong edges for me giving his already known club level link up with Ché.

going with the 2 forwards make the most sense to me, Dykes and Adams would make the perfect duo up top to give us that natural goal threat, then we can have the likes of Nisbet Forrest and Fraser etc to come on later into the game to freshen things up depending how things are going. 

Edited by ElChris04

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Totally agree with the first part, this has been holding us back for years. The do or die need to bring experience of the bench is hindering the progress of so may players.

Totally disagree with the second part, i have no idea why everyone has Gordon down as second keeper unless it's the we need an experienced keeper as back up argument. 

McLaughlin might only have played 11 games for Rangers this season but he kept 8 clean sheets. Gordon wouldn't even get near the Rangers bench. 

Well you could make arguments against both Gordon and McLaughlin. It's not ideal that Gordon has been playing in the championship, and is on the verge of 40. But he has over 50 caps and, at his best, is the best keeper Scotland have had the past 2 decades. I think he has earned his place. I've not watched him lately, but he was still getting plaudits for Hearts in the cup this season.

If McLaughlin is genuinely the 3rd most talented keeper we have, then fair enough. But Gilmour might miss out on a squad place for lack of game time. It hardly seems fair.

3 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

Gordon 

Hendry-Cooper-Tierney 

Patterson-McTominay-McGinn-Robertson 

Armstrong

Dykes-Adams 

We can't be friends. ;)

Mine would be:

3-4-1-2:

Marshall
        Hanley - Hendry - Cooper
Fraser                                 Robertson (C)
          McTominay - Tierney
                        McGinn
                   Dykes - Gauld*

*I'd give Gauld the Dutch and the Luxembourg matches to get him embedded. Hopefully that's adequate. 

Edited by Taylor1996

Guest ElChris04
44 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

We can't be friends. ;)

Mine would be:

3-4-1-2:

Marshall
        Hanley - Hendry - Cooper
Fraser                                 Robertson (C)
          McTominay - Tierney
                        McGinn
                   Dykes - Gauld*

*I'd give Gauld the Dutch and the Luxembourg matches to get him embedded. Hopefully that's adequate. 

My team was for the first game of the euros, I’d definitely give Gauld and Turnbull a chance in the friendlies before the euros though. 

Tierney in midfield would be a huge waste giving his qualities defensively and our depth in midfield. 

also, what’s wrong with Armstrong/Adams? Lol. Have I missed something because they are huge players for us or at least can be for the euros. 

Edited by ElChris04

7 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

My team was for the first game of the euros, I’d definitely give Gauld and Turnbull a chance in the friendlies before the euros though. 

Tierney in midfield would be a huge waste giving his qualities defensively and our depth in midfield. 

also, what’s wrong with Armstrong/Adams? Lol. Have I missed something because they are huge players for us or at least can be for the euros. 

Apparently, the friendlies are after the squad is picked. Not sure if either has a chance of making the cut.

That's the thing, with Jack out we have no defensive midfielders. I know that McGinn, McLean, McGregor and McTominay all play in the double-pivot for their clubs, but they're ususally babysat with a more defensive minded midfielder. 

Urgh. Where do I start? ;)

I don't think Adams is good and as for Armstrong... we would've beaten England if it wasn't for him losing the ball leading up to the Kane equaliser. *

*You did ask. ;)

17 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

It depends what you mean by better. Dykes has some rough edges but when he’s on it he could trouble any defender with his aggression and physique (and overlooked burst of pace) and open up opportunities for others. McBurnie is quite a technical player despite his appearance , but fairly unremarkable. 

I have seen McBurnie have some very good games for Sheffield Utd over the last couple of years but he has never really kicked a ball for Scotland. By all accounts, Dykes was poor when he first moved to QPR but is doing himself justice now. 

I think McBurnie is more suited to playing in a front 2 which we don’t normally do and although we have played with a 2 recently I doubt we’ll do it in any of our group games (with 2 centre forwards anyway). If he is fit for the euros he’ll spend most of his time on the bench. 

Dykes will be our main striker in June I think. He’s better suited to our style of play than Adams or McBurnie.  

Edited by Texas Pete

17 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I have seen McBurnie have some very good games for Sheffield Utd over the last couple of years but he has never really kicked a ball for Scotland. By all accounts, Dykes was poor when he first moved to QPR but is doing himself justice now. 

Dykes will be our main striker in June I think. He’s better suited to our style of play than Adams or McBurnie.  

That's the thing with some people here, they have short memories. They forget that McBurnie scored 6 EPL goals last season and he scored 22 Championship goals in a season, the season prior.

Agreed.

Dykes IS more suited, but I don't think he'll start.

Edited by Taylor1996

11 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

That's the thing with some people here, they have short memories. They forget that McBurnie scored 6 EPL goals last season and he scored 22 Championship goals in a season, the season prior.

Agreed.

Dykes IS more suited, but I don't think he'll start.

But this season mcburnie has done sweet FA, he is injured and there are better options now.

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Apparently, the friendlies are after the squad is picked. Not sure if either has a chance of making the cut.

That's the thing, with Jack out we have no defensive midfielders. I know that McGinn, McLean, McGregor and McTominay all play in the double-pivot for their clubs, but they're ususally babysat with a more defensive minded midfielder. 

Urgh. Where do I start? ;)

I don't think Adams is good and as for Armstrong... we would've beaten England if it wasn't for him losing the ball leading up to the Kane equaliser. *

*You did ask. ;)

I just can’t agree with holding that against Armstrong anymore, he made a huge mistake in a high pressure moment, there’s no getting away from but it’s almost been 4 years now and we’re all human at the end of the day. 

He’s been in fine form and I’d have him in my line up to provide the attacking output he provides at club level, It’s a fair debate to have the likes of Gauld Turnbull McGinn etc ahead of him since we are blessed in the CAM role and its a matter of opinion, but again I just can’t agree with excluding him from the team due to that mistake which is almost 4 years old. 

As for Tierney CM, you make a fair point, I’d have no doubts in his ability to play there and do the left CM justice but I just don’t have the faith there’s a CB in our team who’d do as good as he would, but I wouldn’t entirely be opposed to it if it came down, I’ve mentioned before I have very little faith in McGregor after this season he’s had at club level with us at Celtic. 

Edited by ElChris04

Guest Scot1

Marshall

Hanley. Gallagher Cooper

O’Donnell.                  Robertson    

McTominay   Tierney

McGinn 

Dykes.                 Fraser

On 4/28/2021 at 1:25 PM, Taylor1996 said:

What do you mean? Would I choose Armstrong over Fraser, Christie, McGinn, Forrest? I would not.

Adams has only scored into double league digits in one season.

It's not like we're talking about Zidane and Henry. We're talking about two players that could possibly be playing in the Championship the season after next.

I'm not sure how the exclusion of two players renders my squad as having a "zero chance of being correct".

Exactly.

I've seen people include Patterson, Doig, Gauld, Turnbull, Campbell, ect, neither I feel will be selected. 

This is a thread about personal opinions. Not really sure why some people are being offended by this. :)

That’s pure conjecture to say they could be championship players the season after next. They are premier league players who have proven an ability to at the very minimum be on our bench.

You dont pick adams because he rejected us / played for England.

You don’t pick Armstrong because he gave the goal away against England.

I like a some of your posts but you are petty and as I said it discredits the good things you do post.

8 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

I just can’t agree with holding that against Armstrong anymore, he made a huge mistake in a high pressure moment, there’s no getting away from but it’s almost been 4 years now and we’re all human at the end of the day. 

He’s been in fine form and I’d have him in my line up to provide the attacking output he provides at club level, It’s a fair debate to have the likes of Gauld Turnbull McGinn etc ahead of him since we are blessed in the CAM role and its a matter of opinion, but again I just can’t agree with excluding him from the team due to that mistake which is almost 4 years old. 

As for Tierney CM, you make a fair point, I’d have no doubts in his ability to play there and do the left CM justice but I just don’t have the faith there’s a CB in our team who’d do as good as he would, but I wouldn’t entirely be opposed to it if it came down, I’ve mentioned before I have very little faith in McGregor after this season he’s had at club level with us at Celtic. 

If it wasn't against England...

A manager has to trust his players. I don't trust Armstrong. I understand why most people want him in the squad, as he's a proven EPL player, but I can't trust him. Why would he redeem himself? By Scoring the winner against England at Euro 2020. ;)

Yeah. I do like McGregor, didn't used to, but, as with most of our midfielders, he's better in the final third.

6 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

That’s pure conjecture to say they could be championship players the season after next. They are premier league players who have proven an ability to at the very minimum be on our bench.

You dont pick adams because he rejected us / played for England.

You don’t pick Armstrong because he gave the goal away against England.

I like a some of your posts but you are petty and as I said it discredits the good things you do post.

It is. I rate Ralph Hasenhuttl, but his stubbornness of his 4-2-2-2 will get them relegated next season... probably. 

Incorrect. I don't pick Adams as he's not very good. Certainly not as good as Dykes. I would rather stick to the strikers that got us to Euro 2020.

Read the original Che Adams thread. Half of the people that posted in it admitted to never seeing him play. Now everyone seems to be an expert.

This is his first season in the EPL and he's only scored one more than what McBurnie got in his maiden EPL season.

Correct. A manager, as well as fans have to trust players. I don't trust Armstrong. I totally get why everyone else would pick him and I accept and respect that opinion. I wouldn't. 

Clarke basically has his squad and it is listed on the SFA website. Of the 26 featured players only Jack is certainly unavailable although McBurnie is very doubtful. I have no reason to suppose there will be any changes other than replacing those two unless some others are victims of the end-of-season morass. As has been said by posters on here there is no obvious like-for-like replacement for Jack. From what he has said I am convinced Clarke plans to use McTominay in central midfield since 10 defenders are listed and McT is amongst the midfielders. He may well opt to fill the Jack gap by promoting from the under 21s. However he may turn to Campbell or Ferguson rather than Gilmour since those two have become regular essential picks for their clubs. Likewise Turnbull, but he has been in a more forward role for Celtic. I believe he will want Forrest reinstated and that could be a straight swap for McBurnie. Only if McB proves his fitness by playing against Everton on the 16th will Clarke have the uncomfortable choice of who to leave out to accommodate Forrest. My guess would be Nesbitt.

I hope Gilmour is the choice to replace Jack and that Forrest does come in for McBurnie. I have no expectations that my own preferences of Patterson for Palmer, Turnbull for Fleck and Gauld for Nesbitt will be shared by the manager.

40 minutes ago, shug macdiarmid said:

Clarke basically has his squad and it is listed on the SFA website. Of the 26 featured players only Jack is certainly unavailable although McBurnie is very doubtful. I have no reason to suppose there will be any changes other than replacing those two unless some others are victims of the end-of-season morass. As has been said by posters on here there is no obvious like-for-like replacement for Jack. From what he has said I am convinced Clarke plans to use McTominay in central midfield since 10 defenders are listed and McT is amongst the midfielders. He may well opt to fill the Jack gap by promoting from the under 21s. However he may turn to Campbell or Ferguson rather than Gilmour since those two have become regular essential picks for their clubs. Likewise Turnbull, but he has been in a more forward role for Celtic. I believe he will want Forrest reinstated and that could be a straight swap for McBurnie. Only if McB proves his fitness by playing against Everton on the 16th will Clarke have the uncomfortable choice of who to leave out to accommodate Forrest. My guess would be Nesbitt.

I hope Gilmour is the choice to replace Jack and that Forrest does come in for McBurnie. I have no expectations that my own preferences of Patterson for Palmer, Turnbull for Fleck and Gauld for Nesbitt will be shared by the manager.

Think you pretty much nailed it there; that 26 is the default squad. I am surprised to see Considine listed and Cooper out, but maybe the fact that Considine can cover left back as well swings it for Clarke. Can't see Ferguson being promoted but Forrest and Gilmour as you say I would be happy with. Patterson for Palmer I too would want and Turnbull or Gauld for Fleck. 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Think you pretty much nailed it there; that 26 is the default squad. I am surprised to see Considine listed and Cooper out, but maybe the fact that Considine can cover left back as well swings it for Clarke. Can't see Ferguson being promoted but Forrest and Gilmour as you say I would be happy with. Patterson for Palmer I too would want and Turnbull or Gauld for Fleck. 

It may be that Cooper is missing simply because he was absent through ''sickness'' for the last games, which would give Clarke another choice to make, but there seemed to be something iffy about his absence.

3 hours ago, shug macdiarmid said:

It doesn’t matter that they play regularly for Motherwell and Aberdeen, it would be madness if Gilmour wasn’t selected but Campbell or Ferguson were to be honest. 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

It doesn’t matter that they play regularly for Motherwell and Aberdeen, it would be madness if Gilmour wasn’t selected but Campbell or Ferguson were to be honest. 

We can only hope Clarke sees it that way...perhaps Tuchel's positive assessment of Gilmour may help.

My 26-man squad would look like this:-

GOALKEEPERS

Craig Gordon (Hearts) 56 Caps

David Marshall (Derby Co.) 43 Caps

Jon McLaughlin (Rangers) 2 Caps

DEFENDERS

Liam Cooper (Leeds U.) 5 Caps

Declan Gallagher (Motherwell) 7 Caps

Grant Hanley (Norwich C.) 32 Caps 2 Goals

Jack Hendry (FC Oostende) 5 Caps

Scott McKenna (Notts F.) 19 Caps

Stephen O'Donnell (Motherwell) 18 Caps

Nathan Patterson (Rangers) Uncapped

Andy Robertson (Liverpool) 43 Caps 3 Goals

Kieran Tierney (Arsenal) 19 Caps

MIDFIELDERS

Stuart Armstrong (Southampton) 24 Caps 2 Goals

John Fleck (Sheff. U.) 5 Caps

James Forrest (Celtic) 35 Caps 5 Goals

Billy Gilmour (Chelsea) Uncapped

John McGinn (Aston Villa) 32 Caps 10 Goals

Callum McGregor (Celtic) 29 Caps

Kenny McLean (Norwich C.) 20 Caps 1 Goal

Scott McTominay (Man. U.) 22 Caps

David Turnbull (Celtic) Uncapped

STRIKERS

Che Adams (Southampton) 3 Caps 1 Goal

Ryan Christie (Celtic) 18 Caps 4 Goals

Lyndon Dykes (QPR) 10 Caps 2 Goals

Ryan Fraser (Newcastle U.) 16 Caps 4 Goals

Leigh Griffiths (Celtic) 22 Caps 4 Goals

Starting line-up:-

Marshall

Hanley                                    Cooper                          Tierney       

O'Donnell                                                                                                                                    Robertson       

McGinn                         McTominay                      McGregor

Dykes                    Christie

Does anyone have any idea when the preliminary Scotland squad will be announced? It must be soon. I know the final 26 has to be submitted by the 1st of June. But you'd think Clarke will be picking a bigger squad to take to Portugal before making a final decision.

Knowing Clarke, maybe he'll only pick the final 26. Which would be a mistake. The training will be very competitive and increase the player's effort if they know they could be one of the few dropped.

15 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Does anyone have any idea when the preliminary Scotland squad will be announced? It must be soon. I know the final 26 has to be submitted by the 1st of June. But you'd think Clarke will be picking a bigger squad to take to Portugal before making a final decision.

Knowing Clarke, maybe he'll only pick the final 26. Which would be a mistake. The training will be very competitive and increase the player's effort if they know they could be one of the few dropped.

BBC Sport says a provisional squad named next week 

45 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

So Monday? I'm really dying to see who is included in the 26. Or beyond, if he names a bigger squad than that.

It would make sense to name more like a 30-35 provisional squad before cutting it down. God knows though.