Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

Your personal vendetta v Stuart Armstrong is now undermining the many credible suggestions you do have. The guy is a first team regular in a top league but because he once made a mistake he is to be damned forever. And I don't get this notion of Fraser at right wing back - has he ever played there? And he prefers playing on the left anyway.

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Your personal vendetta v Stuart Armstrong is now undermining the many credible suggestions you do have. The guy is a first team regular in a top league but because he once made a mistake he is to be damned forever. And I don't get this notion of Fraser at right wing back - has he ever played there? And he prefers playing on the left anyway.

Credible suggestions? 🤔 

33 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Not saying Armstrong is, more likely Adams. But Is the worst player in a top league team better than the best player at a lower level team. 

Is Adams better than Dykes?

Is Armstrong better than Gauld? 

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Which ones are the wild cards?

Gilmour?

McCrorie, Porteous, Gauld, Gilmour and Turnbull.  Barely a call up between them never mind actual internatonal experience.

For the record, I’d take Gauld, if there’s room once the experienced regulars are in.  Or I’d like to see him tried in the friendlies, along with Turnbull.  

Gilmour needs to play senior football before graduating to international level. I’d take him to carry the hampers as experience. 

Edited by adamntg

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Yes. In Scotland's previous match. He scored.

I had hoped that this notion of "He hasn't played there, therefore, he can't play there" had been put to bed when we started playing McTominay at center back, Christie and McGinn as striker, Tierney at centerback, O'Donnell at right wing back, Robertson at left wing back.

Most people told me we shouldn't play with a three because "none of our players play that system at club level."

We're talking about professional footballers. In a 90 minutes match players cover a lot of positions and cover lots of blades of grass.

As for Armstrong. He wouldn't make my first XI. Therefore, he'd be fighting with Gauld and probably Turnbull for a place in the squad. Gauld is better and has been a stand out in the Portugese Primeira Liga.

Turnbull has the potential to be a top player.

I really don't have to justify my opinions.

38 minutes ago, adamntg said:

McCrorie, Porteous, Gauld, Gilmour and Turnbull.  Barely a call up between them never mind actual internatonal experience.

For the record, I’d take Gauld, if there’s room once the experienced regulars are in.  Or I’d like to see him tried in the friendlies, along with Turnbull.  

Gilmour needs to play senior football before graduating to international level. I’d take him to carry the hampers as experience. 

McCrorie would be 3rd keeper. Porteous would be 6th choice centre back. 

Chances are, neither of them would get a sniff.

Gauld has been one of the top players in the Portugese top league. He should be in the squad. 

On technical ability, Gilmour and Turnbull are superior to players like Fleck and McGregor, etc.

I wouldn't say that either of my picks are wild cards, though. I'd say that the aforementioned names will be Scotland regulars in the future, barring injuries.

Some people are talking about Patterson, Shankland, Rooney, Clark. It's a game of opinions.

46 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

McCrorie would be 3rd keeper. Porteous would be 6th choice centre back. 

Chances are, neither of them would get a sniff.

Gauld has been one of the top players in the Portugese top league. He should be in the squad. 

On technical ability, Gilmour and Turnbull are superior to players like Fleck and McGregor, etc.

I wouldn't say that either of my picks are wild cards, though. I'd say that the aforementioned names will be Scotland regulars in the future, barring injuries.

Some people are talking about Patterson, Shankland, Rooney, Clark. It's a game of opinions.

I would say they were wild cards.  That’s my opinion in this game of opinions. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yes. In Scotland's previous match. He scored.

I had hoped that this notion of "He hasn't played there, therefore, he can't play there" had been put to bed when we started playing McTominay at center back, Christie and McGinn as striker, Tierney at centerback, O'Donnell at right wing back, Robertson at left wing back.

Most people told me we shouldn't play with a three because "none of our players play that system at club level."

We're talking about professional footballers. In a 90 minutes match players cover a lot of positions and cover lots of blades of grass.

As for Armstrong. He wouldn't make my first XI. Therefore, he'd be fighting with Gauld and probably Turnbull for a place in the squad. Gauld is better and has been a stand out in the Portugese Primeira Liga.

Turnbull has the potential to be a top player.

I really don't have to justify my opinions.

Fraser was really more of a winger than a back in that game, not one in which he could be judged since he didn't have much defending to do.Agree about Turnbull and Gauld but I'd take Armstrong before McGregor, the latter being a defensive liability. If you think Turnbull and Gauld are really better players than Armstrong then ok fine, but I think you're being disingenuous in your dismissal of him.

9 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Fraser played wing back in a friendly against Belgium and a few times for Bournemouth. In my view he is unsuited to the role in all but emergency situations. 

Agreed. Don't think SOD is that bad and we now have Patterson in the wings. Think our problem position is now the one Jack filled - we really don't have a like-for-like replacement there, except maybe McLean and I have some doubts about him.

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Fraser was really more of a winger than a back in that game, not one in which he could be judged since he didn't have much defending to do.Agree about Turnbull and Gauld but I'd take Armstrong before McGregor, the latter being a defensive liability. If you think Turnbull and Gauld are really better players than Armstrong then ok fine, but I think you're being disingenuous in your dismissal of him.

I have nothing against O'Donnell, in fact, I quite like him, but he only offers qualities going back. Been thinking about who could play RWB, but I'm stumped. Maybe Liam Henderson (he'll probably be playing in Serie A next season). 

I didn't used to like McGregor but he's grown on me. He's more productive in the final 3rd.

There's no doubt that Armstrong is now an established EPL player. But it's not like he's a first pick for us. He'd only get in my squad if we had injuries.

Gks  - Marshall, Gordon, Clarke

DEF - Patterson, Odonnell, mckenna, Cooper, hendry, Tierney, Robertson, Hanley

MID - mctominay, mcgregor, mcginn, Armstrong, Christie, fraser, turnbull. gauld. 

FOR - Dykes, Adams, Nisbet, Griffiths

If its a 25 man squad I'd take considine or gallagher as back up in defence and James forrest to back up the attacking players

I'd actually start Patterson, he oozes confidence and we are going to need that in this tournament 

Gk Marshall

Rwb - Patterson

Cb hendry, Cooper, Tierney 

Lwb robertson

DMs- mctominay and mcgregor

Am - John mcginn

For - dykes and Adams

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

MID - mctominay, mcgregor, mcginn, Armstrong, Christie, fraser, turnbull. gauld. 

If its a 25 man squad I'd take considine or gallagher as back up in defence and James forrest to back up the attacking players

I'd actually start Patterson, he oozes confidence and we are going to need that in this tournament 

Gk Marshall

Rwb - Patterson

Lwb robertson

Am - John mcginn

For - dykes and Adams

That’s the same squad I’d pick also barring the coin flipper between a few 3rd choice goalies! 

Agree on Patterson & The inclusion of Gauld & Turnbull.

Need to pick some players on form that’s for sure! Can’t be choosing players in June who put a shift in during 2020 but have done little since. 

23 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Gk Marshall

Rwb - Patterson

Lwb robertson

Am - John mcginn

For - dykes and Adams

It’s a good squad, but I think Kenny McLean would be in mine. He is dependable. I’m not sure who I’d drop though. 

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It’s a good squad, but I think Kenny McLean would be in mine. He is dependable. I’m not sure who I’d drop though. 

I forgot about McLean. I'd have no issue with him being in the team. Norwich have been promoted and he will be high on confidence.

19 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Gauld isn't better. 

Out of interest, how many games, full games, have you watched Gauld play in this season? 

Gordon - Marshall - McLaughlin

O’Donnell - Patterson

Hendry - McTominay - Hanley - Cooper - McKenna - Gallagher

Robertson - Tierney

McGregor - McGinn - Armstrong - Gilmour - McLean - Christie - Turnbull - Gauld

Fraser - Forrest

Adams - Dykes - Griffiths

This is what I’d pick, although I think there’s probably only 22 or 23 that will be in Clarkes squad. 

11 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Gordon - Marshall - McLaughlin

O’Donnell - Patterson

Hendry - McTominay - Hanley - Cooper - McKenna - Gallagher

Robertson - Tierney

McGregor - McGinn - Armstrong - Gilmour - McLean - Christie - Turnbull - Gauld

Fraser - Forrest

Adams - Dykes - Griffiths

This is what I’d pick, although I think there’s probably only 22 or 23 that will be in Clarkes squad. 

I’d agree with this, although Forrest and Griffiths need to prove their fitness by playing 90 minutes a few times. 

26 man squad - great news. We just called up 26 but McBurnie and Jack are out so we can use their two spots for Turnbull, Paterson, Gauld or Gilmour. Gilmour probably has the least chance guess he gets more game time.