Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am not saying his tenure was a disaster, far from it, but the later years was a downhill slope and he failed to spot it and make changes sticking with the old guard even though there were promising players around. The old guard were finished but he carried on flogging dead horses rather than look to the future.

I do think his hands were tied, though.

I do blame the Old Firm. 

Ok. Rangers almost got to the European Cup final with 9 Scots in 92/93, but that was with the likes of Dave McPherson, etc. With no youngsters in sight. Apart from McSwegen and Hagen who were flash in the pans.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I do think his hands were tied, though.

I do blame the Old Firm. 

Ok. Rangers almost got to the European Cup final with 9 Scots in 92/93, but that was with the likes of Dave McPherson, etc. With no youngsters in sight. Apart from McSwegen and Hagen who were flash in the pans.

No I place the blame at his door - after all Vogts had to take the lion's share of the blame for the mess he inherited. He got an ageing squad and needed to get new faces in pronto. Some went on to carve out great careers such as Fletcher, Faddy, Gordon, Miller and such-like whilst others were complete shots in the dark that flopped. Brown was a great manager for us but his refusal to look to the future saw problems snowball on to Vogts reign.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No I place the blame at his door - after all Vogts had to take the lion's share of the blame for the mess he inherited. He got an ageing squad and needed to get new faces in pronto. Some went on to carve out great careers such as Fletcher, Faddy, Gordon, Miller and such-like whilst others were complete shots in the dark that flopped. Brown was a great manager for us but his refusal to look to the future saw problems snowball on to Vogts reign.

Well, when the future was Lee "Maldini" Wilkie and Gary "Pirlo" Holt, I would've grasped hold of the likes of Weir and Collins, etc, for sheer death.

Fine. You make a point with Gordon, Fletch, Faddy, Miller.

Regardless of that, though, in later years we had Brown, Hutton, McManus, Fletcher, Ferguson, Miller, Boyd, Naismith, McGregor, etc. If one of Craig Brown's successor done their research and copied his blueprints (formation) we wouldn't have had to wait 23 years.

The managers who came between Brown and Clarke have the most to answer for.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Well, when the future was Lee "Maldini" Wilkie and Gary "Pirlo" Holt, I would've grasped hold of the likes of Weir and Collins, etc, for sheer death.

Fine. You make a point with Gordon, Fletch, Faddy, Miller.

Regardless of that, though, in later years we had Brown, Hutton, McManus, Fletcher, Ferguson, Miller, Boyd, Naismith, McGregor, etc. If one of Craig Brown's successor done their research and copied his blueprints (formation) we wouldn't have had to wait 23 years.

The managers who came between Brown and Clarke have the most to answer for.

Hmmm lets see Jonathan Gould or Craig Gordon? Steve Crawford or Kenny Miller? And that is the type of instances we'll get from Clarke on Wednesday. Ignoring up and coming talents for washed up players destined to be journeymen. That was Brown's failing circa 2000 and he had no answers and is why his time was up. 

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmmm lets see Jonathan Gould or Craig Gordon? Steve Crawford or Kenny Miller? And that is the type of instances we'll get from Clarke on Wednesday. Ignoring up and coming talents for washed up players destined to be journeymen. That was Brown's failing circa 2000 and he had no answers and is why his time was up. 

Well, you just mentioned two exceptions. 

How about the other youngsters? Darren Young, Alex Notman, Paul Browne, Severin, McGarry, etc. Were those players able to shift McCoist, McCall, Burley, Boyd?

The notion that Craig Brown never tried to integrate any youngster is a fallacy.

Hell, if you aren't of a certain vintage, you wouldn't even know who I just listed.

Right. 

Hummed and hawed over this for a while but I'm sure most of us are the same in that regard. 

I'd go with-

Goalkeepers- 
Gordon, Marshall, McLaughlin

Defenders-
Palmer, Robertson, Tierney, Hanley, Cooper, Gallagher, Hendry, McKenna, O'Donnell

Midfielders-
McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Gauld, Gilmour, Forrest, Christie, Phillips

Forwards-
Dykes, Adams, Fraser, Nisbet, Griffiths

Keepers: Gordon, Kelly & Marshall.

Defenders: Cooper, Gallagher, Hanley, Hendry, McKenna, O'Donnell, Patterson, Robertson & Tierney.

Midfielders: Armstrong, Christie, Fleck, Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor, McTominay & Turnbull.

Forwards: Adams, Dykes, Forrest, Fraser, Griffiths & Nisbet.

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Right. 

Hummed and hawed over this for a while but I'm sure most of us are the same in that regard. 

I'd go with-

Goalkeepers- 
Gordon, Marshall, McLaughlin

Defenders-
Palmer, Robertson, Tierney, Hanley, Cooper, Gallagher, Hendry, McKenna, O'Donnell

Midfielders-
McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Gauld, Gilmour, Forrest, Christie, Phillips

Forwards-
Dykes, Adams, Fraser, Nisbet, Griffiths

Phillips? 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Judging by Croatia's provisional squad, Clarke can pick 26 + 8 standby players.

I don’t think there are specific rules around provisional squads are there? Surely the number of players named on Wednesday is up to Clarke and the SFA?

22 minutes ago, McDange said:

McBurnie out injured. Judging by the comments here though doesn’t look like he would have made most folk’s squad 

I think it had all been but confirmed. That's why most didn't discuss him as an option. I'd have included him in my 26 man squad. I feel sorry for him missing out, but he's still quite young and may have another shot. Jack and McLean are pushing 30, so they are more likely to miss out entirely.

42 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think there are specific rules around provisional squads are there? Surely the number of players named on Wednesday is up to Clarke and the SFA?

Based on the few squads already announced (Belgium, Croatia, Poland) they have either only named 26, or named 26 with a list of backups. I can see Clarke only naming 26 on Wednesday.

27 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Based on the few squads already announced (Belgium, Croatia, Poland) they have either only named 26, or named 26 with a list of backups. I can see Clarke only naming 26 on Wednesday.

I’m not really bothered how many players Clarke names to be honest. It will only have a real benefit to name extra if he isn’t sure on his final squad yet and wants to have a look at some players up close. There is no point in naming another 8 players if they have zero chance of making the finals.

It would definitely have been beneficial to name a few extra players if the final squad limit was still 23 but the three extra players should allow Clarke to pick more or less everyone he wants on Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

To be honest, I don't know.

Belgium have only listed 26.

But since Croatia have named 8 in reserve, that might be the maximum backup number.

6 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

But since Croatia have named 8 in reserve, that might be the maximum backup number.

Nah I don’t know either but since the squads don’t need to be submitted to UEFA until 01 June you’d think there would be nothing to stop Clarke naming as many players as he wanted to on Wednesday. 

I can’t see him naming more than 30 anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I read somewhere that Belgium had named 11 players on a standby list

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Nah I don’t know either but since the squads don’t need to be submitted to UEFA until 01 June you’d think there would be nothing to stop Clarke naming as many players as he wanted to on Wednesday. 

I can’t see him naming more than 30 anyway. 

Yeah the squad doesn’t need named till the 1st June so prior to that you can name as many as you like you’d think.

Surely sense to name all in the frame and then see what happens over the next couple of weeks. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah the squad doesn’t need named till the 1st June so prior to that you can name as many as you like you’d think.

Surely sense to name all in the frame and then see what happens over the next couple of weeks. 

It’s my understanding he will name 26 on Wednesday but can name players in a standby list if he wants to 

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Agreed but although there is a lot of noise on here about who should selected I’m pretty sure Clarke probably already knows his final 26. If he doesn’t what has he been doing for the last month?

Would make sense to name a few extra players though especially to cover injury doubts. Would be easier to do that than call up players later. 

Gordon, Marshall, McCrorie

Defenders-
Robertson, Tierney, Hanley, Cooper, Gallagher, Hendry, McKenna, O'Donnell, N Patterson

Midfielders-
McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Gauld, Gilmour, Forrest, Christie, Fleck, Turnbull

Forwards-
Dykes, Adams, Fraser, Griffiths

Marshall , Odonnell, Cooper, Hanley, Tierney, Robertson, Mctominay, Gilmour, McGinn, Fraser, Adams

31 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Agreed but although there is a lot of noise on here about who should selected I’m pretty sure Clarke probably already knows his final 26. If he doesn’t what has he been doing for the last month?

Would make sense to name a few extra players though especially to cover injury doubts. Would be easier to do that than call up players later. 

Definitely. Can you call up players after 1st June if you get injuries in your warm up games? 

18 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Definitely. Can you call up players after 1st June if you get injuries in your warm up games? 

Yeah looks like you can replace outfield  players up to the opening match and goalkeepers during the tournament. 

A8200B5B-35EF-4E40-8FB5-0AD721670740.jpeg

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah looks like you can replace outfield  players up to the opening match and goalkeepers during the tournament. 

A8200B5B-35EF-4E40-8FB5-0AD721670740.jpeg

👍🏾 Be pretty unlucky for someone to be injured in the warm up games but it does happen