Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

31 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It would make sense to name more like a 30-35 provisional squad before cutting it down. God knows though. 

If it were me, I'd choose a minimum of 30. But, based on Clarke's relatively small squad sizes in the last few camps, I doubt we'll see that many.

I'd love to envisage around 10 extra players battling it out for the 3 extra places. Brutal to leave out 7 players for the final squad, but it will be a huge incentive to drive them on for future squads. Give them a taster to whet their appetite.

11 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Does anyone have any idea when the preliminary Scotland squad will be announced? It must be soon. I know the final 26 has to be submitted by the 1st of June. But you'd think Clarke will be picking a bigger squad to take to Portugal before making a final decision.

Knowing Clarke, maybe he'll only pick the final 26. Which would be a mistake. The training will be very competitive and increase the player's effort if they know they could be one of the few dropped.

The deadline for selection is 1st June.

Managers will also have a number of players on standby, with the ability to replace their squad members if they pick up an injury prior to their opening fixture.   

10 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

The deadline for selection is 1st June.

Managers will also have a number of players on standby, with the ability to replace their squad members if they pick up an injury prior to their opening fixture.   

I'm just envisaging a 40 man battle royale in Portugal, with only 26 survivors on the first of June! 😂

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

lol

And you've just made me envisage a Royal Rumble... my money's on The Ultimate Warrior. 😛

The Ultimate Warrior being McTominay, of course.

A goal and an assist for Turnbull last night. On the same day he won Celtic's young player and senior player of the year awards. Beating out fellow Scottish internationals - Christie, McGregor, Taylor etc. I think Clarke is the only one on the other side of the fence now. Hopefully, he's now on the correct side of the fence with the rest of us.

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

The Ultimate Warrior being McTominay, of course.

A goal and an assist for Turnbull last night. On the same day he won Celtic's young player and senior player of the year awards. Beating out fellow Scottish internationals - Christie, McGregor, Taylor etc. I think Clarke is the only one on the other side of the fence now. Hopefully, he's now on the correct side of the fence with the rest of us.

Of course.

That is quite an achievement. Even more so since he missed a chunk of the season, with the bench being his only friend.

Hopefully. All three (Gilmour, Gauld and Turnbull) should be in the squad. For definite.

My 30-man provisional squad

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, David Marshall, Jon McLaughlin

Defence: Andrew Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Liam Cooper, Grant Hanley, Declan Gallagher, Scott McKenna, Stephen O'Donnell, Nathan Patterson, Liam Palmer, Jack Hendry

Midfield: Scott McTominay, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong, John Fleck, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Gauld, David Turnbull, Callum Paterson

Forwards: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes, Ryan Fraser, Ryan Christie, James Forrest, Kevin Nisbet, Lawrence Shankland, Leigh Griffiths

It's a tough call on who to drop out - Nisbet, Shankland and Griffiths all have an eye for goal but I think only 1 will make the squad; Callum Paterson will play wherever he's asked to so that could see neither Nathan Patterson or Liam Palmer make it, or another forward drop out. I don't think Gauld, Gilmour and Turnbull will all go either even though I personally would take them.

Out of my 30, Palmer, Shankland, Paterson and Hendry are the ones I would leave on standby.

My team vs Czech Republic: 

Gordon

Hanley---Cooper---Tierney

O'Donnell------McTominay------Robertson

Armstrong-------McGinn------McGregor

Adams

Edited by Manno

8 minutes ago, Manno said:

My 30-man provisional squad

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, David Marshall, Jon McLaughlin

Defence: Andrew Robertson, Kieran Tierney, Liam Cooper, Grant Hanley, Declan Gallagher, Scott McKenna, Stephen O'Donnell, Nathan Patterson, Liam Palmer, Jack Hendry

Midfield: Scott McTominay, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong, John Fleck, Billy Gilmour, Ryan Gauld, David Turnbull, Callum Paterson

Forwards: Che Adams, Lyndon Dykes, Ryan Fraser, Ryan Christie, James Forrest, Kevin Nisbet, Lawrence Shankland, Leigh Griffiths

It's a tough call on who to drop out - Nisbet, Shankland and Griffiths all have an eye for goal but I think only 1 will make the squad; Callum Paterson will play wherever he's asked to so that could see neither Nathan Patterson or Liam Palmer make it, or another forward drop out. I don't think Gauld, Gilmour and Turnbull will all go either even though I personally would take them.

Out of my 30, Palmer, Shankland, Paterson and Hendry are the ones I would leave on standby.

My team vs Czech Republic: 

Gordon

Hanley---Cooper---Tierney

O'Donnell------McTominay------Robertson

Armstrong-------McGinn------McGregor

Adams

Only 3 goalkeepers? I know there won't be more than 3 in the final squad, but I'd take whoever is most likely to be Gordon's long term replacement, before cutting him from the final squad.

The only one I'd disagree with is Hendry. I think he'd be pushing for my first 11, nevermind missing out on the final 26.

Oli Burke, Considine, Morgan and Russell still have an outside chance of making it, too. Man, we have a plethora of options. It's a strange feeling having this type of squad depth.

Right then just a few days left until the initial squad is announced. Who's everyone's wildcards who make the initial training squad? Basically uncapped or not a core member of the squad.

I think we could see a few of these lads, in the training squad.

GK - Clarke

Defender - S.Rooney, J.Kerr, Porteous, N.Patterson

Midfield - D.Turnbull, R.Gauld, B.Gilmour, L.Ferguson

WM/ST - L.Morgan

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

5 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Right then just a few days left until the initial squad is announced. Who's everyone's wildcards who make the initial training squad? Basically uncapped or not a core member of the squad.

I think we could see a few of these lads, in the training squad.

GK - Clarke

Defender - S.Rooney, J.Kerr, Porteous, N.Patterson

Midfield - D.Turnbull, R.Gauld, B.Gilmour, L.Ferguson

WM/ST - L.Morgan

Youd expect a good few of them to be in the extended squad, if it is an extended squad. 

Morgan it may be hard for with covid & I think it’s now pretty certain guys like Griffiths won’t get included so there’s a space open there for maybe Shankland. 

7 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Youd expect a good few of them to be in the extended squad, if it is an extended squad. 

Morgan it may be hard for with covid & I think it’s now pretty certain guys like Griffiths won’t get included so there’s a space open there for maybe Shankland. 

I still think Griffiths will make the initial squad. Injuries aside I doubt he makes the final 26. Shankland will most likely be in the initial squad aswell.

Initial squads are usually 30-40 players at tournaments. 4 GK, 10-14 defenders, 10-14 midfielders, 6-8 Strikers

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

4 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I still think Griffiths will make the initial squad. Injuries aside I doubt he makes the final 26. Shankland will most likely be in the initial squad aswell.

Initial squads are usually 30-40 players at tournaments. 4 GK, 10-14 defenders, 10-14 midfielders, 6-8 Strikers

This is Steve Clarke though so don’t bet on it. 

Patterson, Gauld, Turnbull, Gilmour & Nisbet should all be certainties for an extended squad but you’d never know. 

On 4/29/2021 at 11:31 PM, Taylor1996 said:

It is. I rate Ralph Hasenhuttl, but his stubbornness of his 4-2-2-2 will get them relegated next season... probably. 

Incorrect. I don't pick Adams as he's not very good. Certainly not as good as Dykes. I would rather stick to the strikers that got us to Euro 2020.

Read the original Che Adams thread. Half of the people that posted in it admitted to never seeing him play. Now everyone seems to be an expert.

This is his first season in the EPL and he's only scored one more than what McBurnie got in his maiden EPL season.

Correct. A manager, as well as fans have to trust players. I don't trust Armstrong. I totally get why everyone else would pick him and I accept and respect that opinion. I wouldn't. 

Whilst adams isn’t great he is still better than dykes . Dykes is just a slightly more mobile version of mcburnie 

Dykes is mid-table championship level and the jump to a tournament finals is too bit.

I do get the bad feeling about the final squad. No ifs, no buts.....Gilmour, Turnbull and Patterson should all be in it. However, I see Clarke playing it too safe and too nice by including the likes of Palmer, Fleck and Forrest.

It is not rocket science. Gilmour is in a Champions League squad and has played to a great standard and higher standard than Fleck. Patterson has been getting a regular run of games and impressed in the higher level of Europa League - the kind of level Palmer is not going to get to. Turnbull - well his stats this season speaks for themselves whilst Forrest has just returned from a lengthy injury and form for us has been patchy. Gilmour is clearly destined for big things whilst Fleck is at his peak right now and heading back to the Championship. Palmer is already embedded in the Championship.

Come on Clarke show a modicum of innovative thinking.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I do get the bad feeling about the final squad. No ifs, no buts.....Gilmour, Turnbull and Patterson should all be in it. However, I see Clarke playing it too safe and too nice by including the likes of Palmer, Fleck and Forrest.

It is not rocket science. Gilmour is in a Champions League squad and has played to a great standard and higher standard than Fleck. Patterson has been getting a regular run of games and impressed in the higher level of Europa League - the kind of level Palmer is not going to get to. Turnbull - well his stats this season speaks for themselves whilst Forrest has just returned from a lengthy injury and form for us has been patchy. Gilmour is clearly destined for big things whilst Fleck is at his peak right now and heading back to the Championship. Palmer is already embedded in the Championship.

Come on Clarke show a modicum of innovative thinking.

Patterson hasn’t played since 21st of April and that was a half hour sub appearance. 

I will be very surprised if he makes the final 26 man squad. 

1 hour ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Whilst adams isn’t great he is still better than dykes . Dykes is just a slightly more mobile version of mcburnie 

Dykes is mid-table championship level and the jump to a tournament finals is too bit.

I don’t agree at all. He was a bit flat and off form in the last set of matches, but Dykes is now bang in form. He’s got pace, power, self belief and a will to win. When he’s on it he will cause any defence problems. I think this tournament could really put him on the map. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Patterson hasn’t played since 21st of April and that was a half hour sub appearance. 

I will be very surprised if he makes the final 26 man squad. 

So? He is a better player and option than Palmer. Not rocket science.

Look how well Wales have done recently by playing talented youngsters with limited first team experience and thrived. That is what Scotland should be doing. Not sticking with has beens or never will bes.

i don't know what it is but i've woken up this morning with the strong thought of do we have a decent starting 11, on paper its not bad granted no world class players which has been our problem for the last 30 years where Ireland had Robbie Keane to dig them out of a hole and Wales have Bale we've had no-one up top that we could rely on to turn that draw into a win or really trouble the top teams 

However starting 11 for me would be 

Marshall

Hanley Cooper Tierney

Palmer McTom McGinn Robertson

Armstong 

Adams Dykes 

I get the Palmer / O'Donnell argument and i really dont see too much between the two i just think Palmer playing at a higher level would be better 

If i was Clarke i would really be pushing for Alan McGregor to consider i really think he's a level above Marshall and Gordon and would give us an extra edge 

But on paper it looks decent my concern we lack creativity in the centre of midfield noone really ever seems to drive forward with the ball or play that incisive forward ball, i think Gilmour is very good at that but hasnt played enough would be in squad but t starting 11 for me. Also we lack movement up top when the ball is in midfield 

Im rambling but really looking forward to next few months 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So? He is a better player and option than Palmer. Not rocket science.

Look how well Wales have done recently by playing talented youngsters with limited first team experience and thrived. That is what Scotland should be doing. Not sticking with has beens or never will bes.

Clarke didn’t pick him in his last squad. He’s played just over 3 games since then so I doubt Clarke will select him now. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the squad but let’s be honest - he’s not going to play at the Euros even if he is. 

As I have said elsewhere I have seen every one of Patterson’s performances this year and while there’s no doubt he’s going to be a very good player he is still prone to making mistakes. The glaring one against Celtic being the most obvious. 

Let’s see who’s in the squad on Wednesday but like I say I will be very (pleasantly) surprised if Patterson makes it but I won’t be that disappointed if he doesn’t. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Clarke didn’t pick him in his last squad. He’s played just over 3 games since then so I doubt Clarke will select him now. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the squad but let’s be honest - he’s not going to play at the Euros even if he is. 

As I have said elsewhere I have seen every one of Patterson’s performances this year and while there’s no doubt he’s going to be a very good player he is still prone to making mistakes. The glaring one against Celtic being the most obvious. 

Let’s see who’s in the squad on Wednesday but like I say I will be very (pleasantly) surprised if Patterson makes it but I won’t be that disappointed if he doesn’t. 

Sorry pal. I think I have confused matters. I am speaking about Nathan Patterson (Rangers).

7 minutes ago, borojock said:

i don't know what it is but i've woken up this morning with the strong thought of do we have a decent starting 11, on paper its not bad granted no world class players which has been our problem for the last 30 years where Ireland had Robbie Keane to dig them out of a hole and Wales have Bale we've had no-one up top that we could rely on to turn that draw into a win or really trouble the top teams 

However starting 11 for me would be 

Marshall

Hanley Cooper Tierney

Palmer McTom McGinn Robertson

Armstong 

Adams Dykes 

I get the Palmer / O'Donnell argument and i really dont see too much between the two i just think Palmer playing at a higher level would be better 

If i was Clarke i would really be pushing for Alan McGregor to consider i really think he's a level above Marshall and Gordon and would give us an extra edge 

But on paper it looks decent my concern we lack creativity in the centre of midfield noone really ever seems to drive forward with the ball or play that incisive forward ball, i think Gilmour is very good at that but hasnt played enough would be in squad but t starting 11 for me. Also we lack movement up top when the ball is in midfield 

Im rambling but really looking forward to next few months 

Is the bottom of the English championship (League one next year unless Palmer gets a move) really a higher level than the Scottish Premiership? 

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry pal. I think I have confused matters. I am speaking about Nathan Patterson (Rangers).

Hilarious.

I know exactly who you are talking about. 

Have you seen all of his performances this season? 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Hilarious.

I know exactly who you are talking about. 

Have you seen all of his performances this season? 

I have seen most of them in the SPL and those in the Europa League. Far more dynamic and mobile than Palmer and more talent. 

Our manager should realise he is picking a squad for our first major tournament in 23 years not selecting for a game of Happy Families where he is looking to keep his current squad happy. Tough decisions have to be made and often they are the best moves for the future.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have seen most of them in the SPL and those in the Europa League. Far more dynamic and mobile than Palmer and more talent. 

Our manager should realise he is picking a squad for our first major tournament in 23 years not selecting for a game of Happy Families where he is looking to keep his current squad happy. Tough decisions have to be made and often they are the best moves for the future.

Well let’s see if he makes the squad. 

If he hadn’t been banned and had kept Tavernier out of the Rangers starting 11 then I would have no doubt Clarke would select him. 

Let me ask you this though. Why wasn’t he in Clarke’s last squad?  He was playing regularly for Rangers at that point.