Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

4 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Which channel(s) ? I've got a Iptv box which should find it & would like to see him live. 

I've watched a couple games on Freesports, but mainly it's streams via vipleague.lc and stream2watch.la (use a VPN)

He had another good performance last night. Another assist.

44 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Exactly.

I've seen people include Patterson, Doig, Gauld, Turnbull, Campbell, ect, neither I feel will be selected. 

This is a thread about personal opinions. Not really sure why some people are being offended by this. :)

There is no chance Doig or Campbell will be picked, but if someone thinks they should be, then fair enough. I also think there is no chance Armstrong or Adams will be dropped. But, it's pretty likely neither will be in the final 11. Dykes is on fire and has shown far more than Adams has for Scotland. Though Dykes wasn't at his best in our most recent games.

Armstrong got given a chance against Austria and was a bit too wasteful, which I think might go against him. But, again, he'll definitely be in the squad. Deservedly, in my opinion.

Personally, I'd have Griffiths and Burke in my squad, which I can see a lot of people disagree with.

5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

There is no chance Doig or Campbell will be picked, but if someone thinks they should be, then fair enough. I also think there is no chance Armstrong or Adams will be dropped. But, it's pretty likely neither will be in the final 11. Dykes is on fire and has shown far more than Adams has for Scotland. Though Dykes wasn't at his best in our most recent games.

Armstrong got given a chance against Austria and was a bit too wasteful, which I think might go against him. But, again, he'll definitely be in the squad. Deservedly, in my opinion.

Personally, I'd have Griffiths and Burke in my squad, which I can see a lot of people disagree with.

To make people happy I'll post a "Pick the squad you think Steve Clarke will chose". 😛

I do think both Armstrong and Adams will be in Steve Clarke's squad. I do expect Adams to be a starter, regardless of form, or lack thereof. I think that he got a guarantee from Clarke that he would start Euro 2020. It was probably a sweetener to make him play for Scotland. 

Hope I'm proved wrong as I can see Dykes batter and bruise the English defence (as well as the Czech and Croatia defence).

I'd have Griffiths in the squad. Burke is a strange one, I'd love to pick him, but the more I see him the more he looks like player in the playground that only gets picked because of his speed and size.

52 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

To make people happy I'll post a "Pick the squad you think Steve Clarke will chose". 😛

I do think both Armstrong and Adams will be in Steve Clarke's squad. I do expect Adams to be a starter, regardless of form, or lack thereof. I think that he got a guarantee from Clarke that he would start Euro 2020. It was probably a sweetener to make him play for Scotland. 

Hope I'm proved wrong as I can see Dykes batter and bruise the English defence (as well as the Czech and Croatia defence).

I'd have Griffiths in the squad. Burke is a strange one, I'd love to pick him, but the more I see him the more he looks like player in the playground that only gets picked because of his speed and size.

If Clarke has "guaranteed" anyone a starting slot then his integrity really needs to be called into question. I think he is too diplomatic and ambiguous with his comments, in general, to give any kind of assurances behind the scenes.

I understand the trepidation, but I wouldn't pick Burke as a striker. He adds much needed width and counter attacking speed. I'm thinking along the lines of if we are being pinned back and need to break, he can get us up the park quickly. Though Clarke may see Forrest as that option.

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

If Clarke has "guaranteed" anyone a starting slot then his integrity really needs to be called into question. I think he is too diplomatic and ambiguous with his comments, in general, to give any kind of assurances behind the scenes.

I understand the trepidation, but I wouldn't pick Burke as a striker. He adds much needed width and counter attacking speed. I'm thinking along the lines of if we are being pinned back and need to break, he can get us up the park quickly. Though Clarke may see Forrest as that option.

It actually happens more than you'd think, usually at club level and club transfers. With clauses in their contracts, etc.

If Adams starts Euro 2020 for Scotland (he hasn't scored a club goal since March. And I can't see him scoring from now till the end of the season) ahead of the free-scoring Dykes, we'll know why.

I want to like Burke (McBurnie, too) as he's always turned up, from u19 upwards, but I really find it hard. 

I'd never criticize him, though (or McBurnie). I only criticize players that have let Scotland down... Burke (or McBurnie) hasn't. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

It actually happens more than you'd think, usually at club level and club transfers. With clauses in their contracts, etc.

If Adams starts Euro 2020 for Scotland (he hasn't scored a club goal since March. And I can't see him scoring from now till the end of the season) ahead of the free-scoring Dykes, we'll know why.

I want to like Burke (McBurnie, too) as he's always turned up, from u19 upwards, but I really find it hard. 

I'd never criticize him, though (or McBurnie). I only criticize players that have let Scotland down... Burke (or McBurnie) hasn't. 

I understand that it happens in club football, where money is involved, and can be written into contracts. But, as far as I know, internationals are still unpaid and voluntary. I'd lose all respect for Clarke if he had made any promises to any player, including the captain.

I think Burke just hasn't found his correct position. He's got such useful assets. We just need a manager to get the best out of him. He'd probably benefit from dropping down to the championship for a year to find a team that will build the team around him. But I'd still pick him as my 26th player.

McBurnie has played terrible for Scotland in many caps.

A player who’s never let us down in his caps is Che Adams. 

You’re also forgetting when McBurnie called off and played for his club & the other time he said on live TV by accident he didn’t want to play. 

52 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

You’re also forgetting when McBurnie called off and played for his club & the other time he said on live TV by accident he didn’t want to play. 

I think Dykes will start, it's who partners him will be the question. I'd be happy if Adams or fraser were partnering Dykes with griffiths coming off the bench

The idea that Clarke guaranteed Adams a start is ludicrous and stupid 

If you were stones or maguire and you saw McBurnie coming on ,you'd rub your hands with delight. 

22 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I think Dykes will start, it's who partners him will be the question. I'd be happy if Adams or fraser were partnering Dykes with griffiths coming off the bench

The idea that Clarke guaranteed Adams a start is ludicrous and stupid 

If you were stones or maguire and you saw McBurnie coming on ,you'd rub your hands with delight. 

McBurnie must be around, or close to, statistically the worst striker in the EPL based on goals to games ratio and assists this season!? 

Any EPL centre back would absolutely love to be up against him. Thank fuck they won’t be. 

Dykes form is excellent and I think all fans, who aren’t petty and spout bizarre inferences at random with no substance, would be happy to see either him or Adams start - or them both together. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I understand that it happens in club football, where money is involved, and can be written into contracts. But, as far as I know, internationals are still unpaid and voluntary. I'd lose all respect for Clarke if he had made any promises to any player, including the captain.

I think Burke just hasn't found his correct position. He's got such useful assets. We just need a manager to get the best out of him. He'd probably benefit from dropping down to the championship for a year to find a team that will build the team around him. But I'd still pick him as my 26th player.

We'll see, I suppose. As far as I'm concerned, Dykes has to start. Fitness permitting.

Agreed. It's the same with McBurnie, they both need a season away from the spotlight to rejuvenate themselves.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Not going to deny it.

Oh really? Fine. Let's see what your opinion is when he's back in the Championship with Sheffield Wednesday or some other team.

He was just back from injury and he played a friendly club match to get his match fitness up. He wasn't match fit to play in a qualifier for Scotland. 

Yes. And if every single player or person was "cancelled" for making an off colour remark, then it wouldn't leave many holier than thou people.

Yes. He meant it. Obviously. He hates playing for Scotland. That's why he's played 31 times for us, from u19, u21 and seniors.

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone deserves, at least, a second chance.

23 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McBurnie must be around, or close to, statistically the worst striker in the EPL based on goals to games ratio and assists this season!? 

Any EPL centre back would absolutely love to be up against him. Thank fuck they won’t be. 

Dykes form is excellent and I think all fans, who aren’t petty and spout bizarre inferences at random with no substance, would be happy to see either him or Adams start - or them both together. 

Unfortunately Dykes isn’t significantly better than McBurnie although he has had better games in a Scotland shirt than McBurnie has. I don’t think Dykes would set the heather alight in the EPL if he ever gets there.

I’d be surprised if Dykes didn’t start against the Czechs though. He’s the best we’ve got and like you say he’s hit a bit of form recently. 

McBurnie is a championship level striker and will likely start scoring regularly again when he’s back there next season. 

I would go for:

Marshall
Gordon
McLaughlin

Hendry
Gallagher
McKenna
Hanley
Tierney
Cooper
Robertson
O'Donnell
Palmer*

McTominay

McGregor
McLean
Fleck
McGinn
Armstrong

Christie
Fraser
Forrest
Turnbull*

Adams
Dykes
Griffiths*

If there was a warm up game before squad announcement then I would go for Patterson instead of Palmer, but otherwise it is a big risk. I think Palmer has done ok for Scotland, so is an able back up for O'Donnell. 

The increase to a squad of 26 might allow for Turnbull. I would be equally happy with Gauld.

Griffiths is probably our best finisher but his fitness would put a question mark on him for me.  One option could be to take 4 strikers Dykes, Adams, Griffiths and Nisbet instead of Turnbull. 

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

I would go for:

Marshall
Gordon
McLaughlin

Hendry
Gallagher
McKenna
Hanley
Tierney
Cooper
Robertson
O'Donnell
Palmer*

McTominay

McGregor
McLean
Fleck
McGinn
Armstrong

Christie
Fraser
Forrest
Turnbull*

Adams
Dykes
Griffiths*

If there was a warm up game before squad announcement then I would go for Patterson instead of Palmer, but otherwise it is a big risk. I think Palmer has done ok for Scotland, so is an able back up for O'Donnell. 

The increase to a squad of 26 might allow for Turnbull. I would be equally happy with Gauld.

Griffiths is probably our best finisher but his fitness would put a question mark on him for me.  One option could be to take 4 strikers Dykes, Adams, Griffiths and Nisbet instead of Turnbull. 

We have two friendlies, but I'm not sure if it's before or after the squad announcement. 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

You’re also forgetting when McBurnie called off and played for his club & the other time he said on live TV by accident he didn’t want to play. Not to ment

Not to mention the three times che Adams said he didn't want to play for us.You can't say it's fine for Adams to turn us down,while criticise McBurnie who has played for us at under19 and under 21 level ,while Adams was doing the same with that horrible three   f..king lions shirt on.Just no comparison.

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Unfortunately Dykes isn’t significantly better than McBurnie although he has had better games in a Scotland shirt than McBurnie has. I don’t think Dykes would set the heather alight in the EPL if he ever gets there.

I’d be surprised if Dykes didn’t start against the Czechs though. He’s the best we’ve got and like you say he’s hit a bit of form recently. 

McBurnie is a championship level striker and will likely start scoring regularly again when he’s back there next season. 

It depends what you mean by better. Dykes has some rough edges but when he’s on it he could trouble any defender with his aggression and physique (and overlooked burst of pace) and open up opportunities for others. McBurnie is quite a technical player despite his appearance , but fairly unremarkable. 

5 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

No danger has Adam’s been guaranteed a start.  

We have two friendlies, but I'm not sure if it's before or after the squad announcement. 

After. Squad has to be named by 1 June I believe which could unfortunately count against the likes of Gauld and Turnbull. Based on what I’ve seen of him this season, Gauld makes a squad of 26

Edited by GHfaeGTA

1 hour ago, Michael said:

I would go for:

Marshall
Gordon
McLaughlin

Hendry
Gallagher
McKenna
Hanley
Tierney
Cooper
Robertson
O'Donnell
Palmer*

McTominay

McGregor
McLean
Fleck
McGinn
Armstrong

Christie
Fraser
Forrest
Turnbull*

Adams
Dykes
Griffiths*

Clarke should take 30+ before making up his mind. Realistically there will be around 3 or 4 players unlikely to even get off the bench at the tournament. Those players should be with a view to the future. So, if say, Patterson out-performed Palmer in training, then bring him along and prepare him for the next tournament (fingers crossed).

Same goes for the 3rd goalkeeper. I really refuse to believe McLaughlin deserves to be there. The likes of Kelly, McRorie and Bain must be sick to their stomach seeing a guy who has played less than 5 times in the past 6 months get picked.

54 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

After. Squad has to be named by 1 June I believe which could unfortunately count against the likes of Gauld and Turnbull. Based on what I’ve seen of him this season, Gauld makes a squad of 26

Oh. Damn. Thought there would be at least one last chance for one of the outsiders to make a claim.

And I agee. In an ideal world he'd not only be in the squad, but the first XI. Presently, that won't happen.

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Not to mention the three times che Adams said he didn't want to play for us.You can't say it's fine for Adams to turn us down,while criticise McBurnie who has played for us at under19 and under 21 level ,while Adams was doing the same with that horrible three   f..king lions shirt on.Just no comparison.

+1

33 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Clarke should take 30+ before making up his mind. Realistically there will be around 3 or 4 players unlikely to even get off the bench at the tournament. Those players should be with a view to the future. So, if say, Patterson out-performed Palmer in training, then bring him along and prepare him for the next tournament (fingers crossed).

Same goes for the 3rd goalkeeper. I really refuse to believe McLaughlin deserves to be there. The likes of Kelly, McRorie and Bain must be sick to their stomach seeing a guy who has played less than 5 times in the past 6 months get picked.

Totally agree with the first part, this has been holding us back for years. The do or die need to bring experience of the bench is hindering the progress of so may players.

Totally disagree with the second part, i have no idea why everyone has Gordon down as second keeper unless it's the we need an experienced keeper as back up argument. 

McLaughlin might only have played 11 games for Rangers this season but he kept 8 clean sheets. Gordon wouldn't even get near the Rangers bench.