Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

22 minutes ago, kumnio said:

UEFA have announced it’s going to be a 26 man squad. Gilmour, Gauld, Turnbull, Patterson must have a good chance now. 

Great news. 

Gives Forrest, Griffiths, Patterson, Turnbull, Gauld & Gilmour a better chance of making the squad. 

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Great news. 

Gives Forrest, Griffiths, Patterson, Turnbull, Gauld & Gilmour a better chance of making the squad. 

I think we will be dissapointed. I don't see Clarke taking gauld, gilmour or turnbull 

26 man squad? Great news. It's the sensible thing to do in case Covid strikes back)

(Liable to change. Hopefully not, as it means there won't be any further injuries)

1. Marshall (Derby)
  2. Fraser (Newcastle)
  3. Robertson (Liverpool) (Captain)
  4. Cooper (Leeds)
  5. Hanley (Norwich)
  6. Hendry (Oostende)
  7. McTominay (Man Utd)
  8. Tierney (Arsenal)
  9. Christie (Celtic)
  10. Dykes (QPR)
  11. McGinn (Aston Villa)
  12. Gordon (Hearts)
  13. McCrorie (Rangers)
  14. McKenna (Nottingham Forest)
  15. Porteous (Hibernian)
  16. Gallagher (Motherwell)
  17. O'Donnell (Motherwell)
  18. McGregor (Celtic)
  19. Fleck (Sheffield United)
  20. McLean (Norwich)
  21. Turnbull (Motherwell)
  22. Forrest (Celtic)
  23. Gilmour (Chelsea)
  24. Gauld (Farense)
  25. Griffiths (Celtic)
  26. McBurnie (Sheffield United)

45 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

26 man squad? Great news. It's the sensible thing to do in case Covid strikes back)

(Liable to change. Hopefully not, as it means there won't be any further injuries)

1. Marshall (Derby)
  2. Fraser (Newcastle)
  4. Cooper (Leeds)
  5. Hanley (Norwich)
  6. Hendry (Oostende)
  7. McTominay (Man Utd)
  8. Tierney (Arsenal)
  9. Christie (Celtic)
  10. Dykes (QPR)
  11. McGinn (Aston Villa)
  12. Gordon (Hearts)
  13. McCrorie (Rangers)
  15. Porteous (Hibernian)
  18. McGregor (Celtic)
  20. McLean (Norwich)
  22. Forrest (Celtic)
  23. Gilmour (Chelsea)
  24. Gauld (Farense)
  25. Griffiths (Celtic)

You’ve included McBurnie again who’s injured till pre season, so out of the tournament. 

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

You’ve included McBurnie again who’s injured till pre season, so out of the tournament. 

You keep saying that without providing proof. His injury is typically 6-12 weeks, so theoretically he could be fit in time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11683/12276323/oli-mcburnie-sheffield-united-striker-sidelined-for-rest-of-the-season-with-foot-injury

Edited by Taylor1996

11 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

1. Marshall (Derby)
  2. Fraser (Newcastle)
  4. Cooper (Leeds)
  5. Hanley (Norwich)
  6. Hendry (Oostende)
  7. McTominay (Man Utd)
  8. Tierney (Arsenal)
  9. Christie (Celtic)
  10. Dykes (QPR)
  11. McGinn (Aston Villa)
  12. Gordon (Hearts)
  13. McCrorie (Rangers)
  15. Porteous (Hibernian)
  18. McGregor (Celtic)
  20. McLean (Norwich)
  22. Forrest (Celtic)
  23. Gilmour (Chelsea)
  24. Gauld (Farense)
  25. Griffiths (Celtic)

You like to think you’re a deep thinking Scotland supporter but your immaturity and pettiness completely discredit almost every post you make. 

You have your reasons for disliking Adams and Armstrong which is fair enough but honestly what is the point in you picking a squad that has absolutely zero chance of being correct?

18 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

You like to think you’re a deep thinking Scotland supporter but your immaturity and pettiness completely discredit almost every post you make. 

You have your reasons for disliking Adams and Armstrong which is fair enough but honestly what is the point in you picking a squad that has absolutely zero chance of being correct?

In fairness, the thread is "Your" squad, not "what do you think it will be". But saying that, you also have to be realistic. I personally wouldn't pick Callum McGregor, but I have accepted that he is rightly or wrongly part of the group and I'd include him in my 26 man squad.

The ones that are up for debate are the fringe players and outsiders. So now that it is 26 men, I'd 100% include Griffiths, regardless of what he does in the next few games. I know I'll feel far more at ease seeing him on the bench to bring on.

Guest ElChris04

Now that it’s officially confirmed as a 26 man squad hopefully there’s that bigger chance we’ll see Gauld Turnbull and Patterson getting in. Although giving Clarke’s loyalty to others I do believe we may be lucky to see one included unfortunately. 

as for the 26 man team, there’s players such as O’Donnell I wouldn’t have in but I’ve accepted they will be part of Clarke’s plans in the core of the squad so I’ve included them. Taking that into account here’s my team for the euros. 

GK : Marshall,Gordon, McLaughlin

DEF : Andrew Robertson 
DEF : Josh Doig
DEF : Kieran Tierney
DEF : Liam Cooper 
DEF : Jack Hendry 
DEF : Jason Kerr
DEF : Declan Gallagher 
DEF : Nathan Patterson 
DEF : Stephen O’Donnell 

MID : John McGinn
MID : Scott McTominay 
MID : Stuart Armstrong 
MID : Callum McGregor 
MID : Ryan Christie 
MID : Kenny McLean 
MID : Allan Campbell ( Ryan Jack’s defensive replacement)
MID : Ryan Gauld 
MID : David Turnbull 

ATK : Lyndon Dykes 
ATK : Ché Adams 
ATK : Kevin Nisbet 
ATK : James Forrest 
ATK : Ryan Fraser 

I will add one more thing on my reasoning for including josh doig, I reckon Clarke will want a back up left back to Robertson incase of any injury with the idea in mind Tierney still operates at CB in a back 3 regardless, I imagine he’d take Taylor but Doig is technically superior in every department, can play CB too and is double footed. Would be a safe asset to have in the team for that reason imo. 

Edited by ElChris04

i wouldn't be surprised at all if clarke uses the extra spaces to call up players that have been in previous squads, burke and patterson etc

i really hope he draws a line in the sand and starts blooding some more fresh players after the euros but i think it will be pretty much the same squad for the WC campaign as well and then  if we dont qualify it will be a remodel. 

anyway my squad... 

marshall

gordon

the backup keeper at rangers

robertson 

taylor 

o'donnell

paterson

tierney

gallacher

mckenna

hendry

hanley

cooper

mcgregor 

mctominay

mclean

gauld

christie

mcginn

armstrong

forrest

fraser

adams

dykes

nisbet

griffiths

Edited by LewisEDI

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Now that it’s officially confirmed as a 26 man squad hopefully there’s that bigger chance we’ll see Gauld Turnbull and Patterson getting in. Although giving Clarke’s loyalty to others I do believe we may be lucky to see one included unfortunately. 

as for the 26 man team, there’s players such as O’Donnell I wouldn’t have in but I’ve accepted they will be part of Clarke’s plans in the core of the squad so I’ve included them. Taking that into account here’s my team for the euros. 

I will add one more thing on my reasoning for including josh doig, I reckon Clarke will want a back up left back to Robertson incase of any injury with the idea in mind Tierney still operates at CB in a back 3 regardless, I imagine he’d take Taylor but Doig is technically superior in every department, can play CB too and is double footed. Would be a safe asset to have in the team for that reason imo. 

Only selection there I'd take issue with is that of Jason Kerr over McKenna. I know Kerr is maybe the best uncapped CB but McKenna is young and experienced. The 5 attackers are spot on if Forrest is fit. Campbell is an interesting one to replace Jack - never thought of him.

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Which channel(s) ? I've got a Iptv box which should find it & would like to see him live. 

Bet365 and hesgoals occasionally and free sports on sky a couple of times. Was on bet365 again last night when he created a goal with a great assist. He is one of best players in Portuguese league this season based on stats as well as ratings and has 8 MOM awards, more than any other player. 

No mckenna or Hanley. Possibly have both in my starting 11

I would actually list Gauld as a ATK. If you have seen him this season he is playing very high up the park either as a number 10 or sometimes alongside a tall striker, and doing very well. Apparently best player on park again last night. 

2 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

No Hanley or McKenna? 

Guest ElChris04
1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Only selection there I'd take issue with is that of Jason Kerr over McKenna. I know Kerr is maybe the best uncapped CB but McKenna is young and experienced. The 5 attackers are spot on if Forrest is fit. Campbell is an interesting one to replace Jack - never thought of him.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

No mckenna or Hanley. Possibly have both in my starting 11

18 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

No Hanley or McKenna? 

Ahh Ignore Kerr then, my bad. I completely forgot about McKenna my mind was that occupied with taking either Kerr or Porteous I hadn’t even thought of him. I would take Kerr if any sort of injury happens to McKenna before the euros then. 

as for Hanley, he was a tough one to leave out but I’d be very shocked if he gets the nod over Gallagher or Cooper with Clarke. I personally prefer Hanley to Gallagher going off club form but for Scotland Gallagher was excellent in our qualifying campaign so there’s that. 

Edited by ElChris04

4 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

What do you mean? Would I choose Armstrong over Fraser, Christie, McGinn, Forrest? I would not.

Adams has only scored into double league digits in one season.

It's not like we're talking about Zidane and Henry. We're talking about two players that could possibly be playing in the Championship the season after next.

I'm not sure how the exclusion of two players renders my squad as having a "zero chance of being correct".

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

In fairness, the thread is "Your" squad, not "what do you think it will be".

Exactly.

I've seen people include Patterson, Doig, Gauld, Turnbull, Campbell, ect, neither I feel will be selected. 

This is a thread about personal opinions. Not really sure why some people are being offended by this. :)