Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

42 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

You could maybe argue that Marshall could have done better, based on his own high standards, but the ball shouldn't have gotten as far as him in the first place. The midfield were responsible for gifting the opposition an opportunity to shoot/cross. The goals aside, for the past couple of years, we have been leaking chance after chance in the same fashion. It wouldn't take a tactician to identify our achilles heel. I sincerely hope whoever Clarke decides to play in the defensive centre mid roles, he gives a swift kick up the arse and tells them to do their job. As others have said, Tierney would do well there, but I can't see Clarke doing that. 

100% agree.

Don't waste your time, mate.

I gave visual evidence of three pretty much identical instances. 

Some people are so petty and childish that they'll argue that white is black. I feel sorry for those people that they can't grow and let go of grudges of x years ago.

It's a shame. 

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Anywho. Getting the thread back topic. :)

It would be a nice bonus is James Forrest is fit and raring to go.

I've always said that he's better and more effective in the middle, so either attacking midfield or beside Dykes.

it's another option. :)

Armstrong ,fraser and Christie all better in that position IMO 

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

You could maybe argue that Marshall could have done better, based on his own high standards, but the ball shouldn't have gotten as far as him in the first place. The midfield were responsible for gifting the opposition an opportunity to shoot/cross. The goals aside, for the past couple of years, we have been leaking chance after chance in the same fashion. It wouldn't take a tactician to identify our achilles heel. I sincerely hope whoever Clarke decides to play in the defensive centre mid roles, he gives a swift kick up the arse and tells them to do their job. As others have said, Tierney would do well there, but I can't see Clarke doing that. 

I continue to be furious about these performances. Absolutely criminal sloppiness, that has cost us big time. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I continue to be furious about these performances. Absolutely criminal sloppiness, that has cost us big time. 

I know.

It must've happened about about ten times in those two matches. It even happened twice against the Faroe Islands.

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Nathan Patterson. What a player he’s going to be. He will play at the very top level. 

if that lad morrrison comes through at Bayern Munich we could be looking at a back 4 of

patterson  Morrison tierney  robertson

in a couple of years.

6 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

if that lad morrrison comes through at Bayern Munich we could be looking at a back 4 of

in a couple of years.

I’m actually wondering if a club from one of the top leagues might come in for Patterson imminently. He’s getting better with every game and when he really fills out the sky is the limit. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

in a couple of years.

theres a very slim  chance morrison makes the grade at bayern. also are we ditching the back three in a few years?

20 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Austria's 1st Goal - 3:06 - Their man was allowed to shoot from 35/40 yard out. We had 6 outfield players on the edge of our own box, ball watching. with only one player within 5 yards of him. It should've been cut out at source.

Austria's 2nd Goal - 6:12 - Their man was allowed to cross from about 35/40 yards out. We had 6 outfield players on the edge of our own box, ball watching. with only one player within 5 yards of him. It should've been cut out at source. 

Israel's goal - 2:41 - Their man was allowed to shoot from 40 yard out. We had 6 outfield players on the edge of our own box, ball watching. with only one player within 5 yards of him. It should've been cut out at source.

All three goals were identical, give or take a few variables. 

Ive said before that our midfielders need to get tighter to players befoee they receive the ball however at a decent standard of football, teams should be happy to allow shots from 35/40 yards. Even allowing shots from 30 yards would be fine for a competent GK. 

2 out of the 3 goals were Marshalls fault. 

Clarke sets his teams up to be hard to break down. Part of that is compacting the final 3rd so teams cant pass through the lines. A consequence of that is that it allows teams time and space from about 30 yards out.

As others have said, McGregor or indeed any top GK wouldnt have conceeded the 2 goals in question.

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Ive said before that our midfielders need to get tighter to players befoee they receive the ball however at a decent standard of football, teams should be happy to allow shots from 35/40 yards. Even allowing shots from 30 yards would be fine for a competent GK. 

Clarke sets his teams up to be hard to break down. Part of that is compacting the final 3rd so teams cant pass through the lines. A consequence of that is that it allows teams time and space from about 30 yards out.

As others have said, McGregor or indeed any top GK wouldnt have conceeded the 2 goals in question.

You says "lines".

If more than half the outfield players are on the 28 yard line, those "lines" becomes a line.

Play France, Germany, ect, and have 6 players are camped on the 18 yard line, encouraging their players to shoot or cross, we'll get thumped.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

You says "lines".

If more than half the outfield players are on the 28 yard line, those "lines" becomes a line.

Play France, Germany, ect, and have 6 players are camped on the 18 yard line, encouraging their players to shoot or cross, we'll get thumped.

Yes, lines. Back 4 or 5 across the 18 box with the midfield about 25 yards out. Leaves very little space to break through.

If we play France or Germany with the defence on 18 yard box and midfield 35 yards out then it would be a cricket score. 

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If we play France or Germany with the defence on 18 yard box and midfield 35 yards out then it would be a cricket score. 

So, you agree with me and yet you disagree with me at the same time? How does that work?

Do people get money for disagreeing with me? Is there a benefactor?

20 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

McGregor today again completely top drawer btw, on another note 

18 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

So, you agree with me and yet you disagree with me at the same time? How does that work?

Do people get money for disagreeing with me? Is there a benefactor?

Where am I agreeing with you. You say we have a line. Im saying we have 2 lines. One on 18 and another about 25 yards. 

Your original point was that the midfield were to blame for the goals. It was the GK. Any top GK would be really disapointed to concede those goals.

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Where am I agreeing with you. You say we have a line. Im saying we have 2 lines. One on 18 and another about 25 yards. 

Your original point was that the midfield were to blame for the goals. It was the GK. Any top GK would be really disapointed to concede those goals.

Can you image a keeper like Peter Schmeichel's reaction if his midfield allowed those shots and crosses?

Can you imagine the likes of Roy Keane allowing it? Not likely.

29 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Yes, lines. Back 4 or 5 across the 18 box with the midfield about 25 yards out. Leaves very little space to break through.

this is how Walter smith had us play and it  was very effective 

23 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

We have 6 players on the 18 yard line and one player hovering around the 25 yar line.

It's not exactly an equal distribution. 

It should be 5 on the 18 yard line and 2 on the 24 yard line. At least give the defenders and the keeper SOME protection. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Can you image a keeper like Peter Schmeichel's reaction if his midfield allowed those shots and crosses?

Can you imagine the likes of Roy Keane allowing it? Not likely.

Can you imagine Keane if Schmeichel was letting in goals from 35 yards or pushing shots right back into play rather than out wide safe.

The midfield need to close down more but the goals you mention were Marshalls fault.

And if we close down too high then it causes other problems with space in the pockets. Clarke has a system, its sit deep and be hard to break down.