Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

17 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Actually, regarding Covid, the smart thing to do would be to keep a large group seperate as back up, so they aren't exposed. But, another unconfirmed rumour is that every player has to be vaccinated prior to the tournament anyway.

I hope Clarke is sensible enough to call up a large squad for the Dutch game, at least.

Yeah. I suppose. There has to be larger squads, though. Imagine if there's a spate of outbreaks. It could get interesting.

Lots of unconfirmed rumours, isn't there? ;)

I hope so. Hopefully McCrorie or Shinnie get called up, too. The loss of Jack is a blow. As much as I like McTominay and McGregor, the thought of them ball watching against England, etc, terrifies me 

7 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah. I suppose. There has to be larger squads, though. Imagine if there's a spate of outbreaks. It could get interesting.

Lots of unconfirmed rumours, isn't there? ;)

I hope so. Hopefully McCrorie or Shinnie get called up, too. The loss of Jack is a blow. As much as I like McTominay and McGregor, the thought of them ball watching against England, etc, terrifies me 

Mctominay and mcgregor are of a far higher standard than shinnie and mcrorie. Shinnie or mcrorie against England would terrify me. 

8 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Mctominay and mcgregor are of a far higher standard than shinnie and mcrorie. Shinnie or mcrorie against England would terrify me. 

Watch all three goals that we conceded against Israel and Austria. McTominay and McGregor/McGinn were responsible for all of them.

Neither of them press well.

It's not about picking the best players, it's about having the right balance and getting the dynamics right.

Shinnie has been Derby's best player this season. Or at least, one of them.

Edited by Taylor1996

13 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Watch all three goals that we conceded against Israel and Austria. McTominay and McGregor/McGinn were responsible for all of them.

It's not about picking the best players, it's about having the right balance and getting the dynamics right.

No way shinnie and/or mcrorie will be starting against England. We will just need to adapt. 

29 minutes ago, thesaint said:
5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Who's not committed to the cause? 

That guy.You know the one,what's his name again?

He looked committed enough to me in the games he's appeared in.

16 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

No way shinnie and/or mcrorie will be starting against England. We will just need to adapt. 

I doubt any of them will be called up, if they do it will be as back up but I am 99.9% sure neither will be near the Scotland squad and I don't think either have have a case to play, especially mcrorie right now

Edited by vanderark14

57 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

If I was so inclined, I'd go further back and look at other goals we've lost in the exact same manner. It's often good goalkeeping that has prevented us from leaking more goals that way. 

It is a glaring weakness, that Israel especially have identified. And if any other opponent did an ounce of homework, they'd see that it is the easiest route to goal. 

All it would take is for our centre mids to be switched on, man-mark and close players down. I've been willing McGregor to do this for years. But he is a lost cause. I actually think McLean would be a decent option in there, out of the recent squad players.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

If I was so inclined, I'd go further back and look at other goals we've lost in the exact same manner. It's often good goalkeeping that has prevented us from leaking more goals that way. 

It is a glaring weakness, that Israel especially have identified. And if any other opponent did an ounce of homework, they'd see that it is the easiest route to goal. 

All it would take is for our centre mids to be switched on, man-mark and close players down. I've been willing McGregor to do this for years. But he is a lost cause. I actually think McLean would be a decent option in there, out of the recent squad players.

Couldn't agree more.

I can't remember who said it, (probably Roy Keane or someone of his ilk) but work rate and pressing should be a minimum expectation for a professional footballer.

McGinn is probably the best at it, but his inclination to try to dribble out of tight situations tends to offset his defensive stuff.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Couldn't agree more.

I can't remember who said it, (probably Roy Keane or someone of his ilk) but work rate and pressing should be a minimum expectation for a professional footballer.

McGinn is probably the best at it, but his inclination to try to dribble out of tight situations tends to offset his defensive stuff.

Exactly. It baffles me how McGregor has gotten away with it for so long. Actually, it doesn't, it's because Scott Brown has has been wearing him as a backpack for the past 5 years. 

As a defensive centre mid, when not on the ball, your main responsibility is to track, mark, tackle and close down. Their focus should be stopping the ball getting as far as the defenders. Brown was class at it. On his day, Jack is not far behind. 

The way we’ve been set up and playing recently, when not in possession, Tierney’s had to hang around our box waiting for our midfield to fail to stop it coming in, and then clear it. It’s a total waste of his talents, he should be snapping into tackles and he’ll also be 15 yards further up the pitch if he happens to win it back. McKenna can do the repulsion from the box chore, no problem. Tierney’s energy will also hopefully set the tone for the other midfielders to keep up the pressure on the ball. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Exactly. It baffles me how McGregor has gotten away with it for so long. Actually, it doesn't, it's because Scott Brown has has been wearing him as a backpack for the past 5 years. 

As a defensive centre mid, when not on the ball, your main responsibility is to track, mark, tackle and close down. Their focus should be stopping the ball getting as far as the defenders. Brown was class at it. On his day, Jack is not far behind. 

Yeah. I made the exact same observation about McTominay and McGinn being babysat by Fred and Douglas Luiz. People were offended by ther term "babysat". 😛

As you said, it was the same with McGregor and Brown

It is. You have to wonder if it's bad coaching or just the aforementioned players switching off.

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

He looked committed enough to me in the games he's appeared in.

Still got to ask the question.Where was his commitment to play for us before we qualified for the euros?He had the chances to commit to us well before we qualified.Obviously wasn't interested until he saw the chance of playing at the euros.

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

Still got to ask the question.Where was his commitment to play for us before we qualified for the euros?He had the chances to commit to us well before we qualified.Obviously wasn't interested until he saw the chance of playing at the euros.

The answer to the question is who gives a shit  He's here now and he is committed.

8 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Marshall was responsible for 2 or the 3 goals you mention.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Austria's 1st Goal - 3:06 - Their man was allowed to shoot from 35/40 yard out. We had 6 outfield players on the edge of our own box, ball watching. with only one player within 5 yards of him. It should've been cut out at source.

Austria's 2nd Goal - 6:12 - Their man was allowed to cross from about 35/40 yards out. We had 6 outfield players on the edge of our own box, ball watching. with only one player within 5 yards of him. It should've been cut out at source. 

Israel's goal - 2:41 - Their man was allowed to shoot from 40 yard out. We had 6 outfield players on the edge of our own box, ball watching. with only one player within 5 yards of him. It should've been cut out at source.

All three goals were identical, give or take a few variables. 

23 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I hate to disappoint you but I think Steve Clarke is intelligent enough to look up statistics.

Scotland have not been capable of playing with a three since 1992. The facts bear it out.

There's a reason why Craig Brown ripped up Andy Roxburgh's template and introduced 3-5-2.

There's a reason why Vogts and Burley and Smith failed.

There's a reason why McLeish and Strachen flirted with a three at the back and shied away when the media and online fans objected .

And there's a reason why, when Steve Clarke STUCK with a three... and we qualified. 

This is what vindicated looks like.

Are you for real? For months you told us it didn’t matter if we qualified via the playoffs for the euros because it was through the back door. 

Now we have qualified you are trying to take some sort of credit for it. 

Wind your neck in Chripper. 

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Are you for real? For months you told us it didn’t matter if we qualified via the playoffs for the euros because it was through the back door. 

Provide proof.

I said no such thing.

If you want to be accurate, I told Dohadeer that we have 0.001% chance of qualifying via the playoffs.

Is that what you mean?

If you're going to attack me, at least get it right.

Edited by Taylor1996

33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Now we have qualified you are trying to take some sort of credit for it. 

Wind your neck in Chripper. 

Yeah, well, good luck in providing proof that I that I said that it didn't matter if we qualified via the the play offs. As I never said such a thing.

Provide proof or you're a complete and total liar. :)

I did, however, say that we wouldn't qualify via the Playoffs (if we played with four at the back).

I do have proof that you've been accused of being Chripper:

Edited by Taylor1996

9 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

You could maybe argue that Marshall could have done better, based on his own high standards, but the ball shouldn't have gotten as far as him in the first place. The midfield were responsible for gifting the opposition an opportunity to shoot/cross. The goals aside, for the past couple of years, we have been leaking chance after chance in the same fashion. It wouldn't take a tactician to identify our achilles heel. I sincerely hope whoever Clarke decides to play in the defensive centre mid roles, he gives a swift kick up the arse and tells them to do their job. As others have said, Tierney would do well there, but I can't see Clarke doing that. 

17 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

You could maybe argue that Marshall could have done better, based on his own high standards, but the ball shouldn't have gotten as far as him in the first place. The midfield were responsible for gifting the opposition an opportunity to shoot/cross. The goals aside, for the past couple of years, we have been leaking chance after chance in the same fashion. It wouldn't take a tactician to identify our achilles heel. I sincerely hope whoever Clarke decides to play in the defensive centre mid roles, he gives a swift kick up the arse and tells them to do their job. As others have said, Tierney would do well there, but I can't see Clarke doing that. 

The Israel goal was straight at him from 30 yards - it was a gigantic howler. 

The Austria goal was not quite as big an error but still an error.

Both entirely Marshall’s fault. 

Gordon was also fairly poor v the Faroes barring one good save - he almost gifted them a tap in. 

Allan McGregor would have given us two or maybe three wins most probably, which shows what a step up in class of goalkeeper can do for you.

Hopefully McCrorie, Kelly etc can come through and develop into a McGregor standard goalkeeper. 

Edited by ProudScot

7 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Gordon was also fairly poor v the Faroes barring one good save - he almost gifted them a tap in. 

Allan McGregor would have given us two or maybe three wins most probably, which shows what a step up in class of goalkeeper can do for you.

Hopefully McCrorie, Kelly etc can come through and develop into a McGregor standard goalkeeper. 

I'm not debating the goalkeeper quality. I was talking about the shot being allowed to happen in the first place. Yes, Marshall could have done better. And maybe McGregor would have saved them. We'll never know. But, in general, we are lucky to have a goalkeeper of Marshall's ability, as the quality drops off a cliff once you remove McGregor, Gordon and Marshall from the equation.

I personally wouldn't close the door to any players wanting to come out of retirement, but I know many would disagree.

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

The midfield should've done better but Marshall is there to defend when they don't and he failed, therefore the team failed to prevent the goal. No need for a single scapegoat in this instance.

I disagree regarding mcgregor, he's a good goalkeeper, marginally ahead of Marshall maybe but some are rating him too highly IMO, he made a couple of howlers against Prague too, he's not invincible. I'd have him as out number one but he doesn't want to.

The standard of keeper we need is Leighton or Goram. Those were great goalies.

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The midfield should've done better but Marshall is there to defend when they don't and he failed, therefore the team failed to prevent the goal. No need for a single scapegoat in this instance.

I disagree regarding mcgregor, he's a good goalkeeper, marginally ahead of Marshall maybe but some are rating him too highly IMO, he made a couple of howlers against Prague too, he's not invincible. I'd have him as out number one but he doesn't want to.

The standard of keeper we need is Leighton or Goram. Those were great goalies.

Agreed. We lost the goals as a collective. Very few goals are ever just 1 player's fault. But I do think if we implement a man-marking/closing down system in the midfield, we can reduce the chances other teams create against us. Israel slice us open like butter every time they play us.

Exactly, it's not like McGregor would just waltz back into the starting 11. Not only would it be unfair, but, as you say, he isn't significantly better than Marshall or Gordon. If we have an injury crisis, then I'd send out an SOS because I would not be comfortable with McLaughlin or Bain in goals at a major tournament.