Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

ithink he looks good bringing the ball out from the back, but suspect positionally and being caught under the ball

yeh tbf you could say that of most of our centre backs from the last 20 years. i think hes done well in the position but i can understand that ppl want him in the midfield.

46 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

If tierney doesn’t make it do you think we will stick with 5 at the back?

Yes. 100%

We're now playing a system where we're hard to beat and harder to score against.

The numbers back that up.

Anyone that thinks Steve Clarke is sticking to this system just to accommodate Tierney and Robertson is a fool. Maybe that's how it started, but not anymore.

Hendry - Hanley - Cooper/McKenna (Looks pretty good, if Tierney doesn't make it)

46 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lewis-morgan-sets-sights-scotland-23926100

Lewis Morgan should be in the mix for Euro 2020.

His club have some star players, to get MVP is no mean feat.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but you throw a lot of names about. I wonder how you would manage to fit them all into a 25 man squad. 

The goalkeepers aside, we're a fairly young side. A lot of these players will amass 50+ caps. It'll be hard to accommodate all the up and coming talent in the short term.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

i quite like mctominay at centre back, i think he does well there for us.

He’s decent in that position but he’s an outstanding midfielder. He has some brilliant games for Man U this season. 

We have 2 world class LBs, neither of whom play at LB for us and one of the best British midfielders who regularly plays in the right of a back 3 for us. Not exactly playing to our strengths. 

It is a slippy slope that you are heading down,when you start wanting guys to get picked that have no commitment to the cause.Would really hate to go down the rugby route.That is a f..king joke.Still makes we want to puke when I see that picture of Adams in the England shirt.Realise,I will just have to accept it,but I certainly don't have to like it.

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but you throw a lot of names about. I wonder how you would manage to fit them all into a 25 man squad. 

The goalkeepers aside, we're a fairly young side. A lot of these players will amass 50+ caps. It'll be hard to accommodate all the up and coming talent in the short term.

I know. But it's nice to have options. Plus Morgan is very much a creative outlet.

Has it officially been increased from 23 to 25?

25 minutes ago, thesaint said:

It is a slippy slope that you are heading down,when you start wanting guys to get picked that have no commitment to the cause.Would really hate to go down the rugby route.That is a f..king joke.Still makes we want to puke when I see that picture of Adams in the England shirt.Realise,I will just have to accept it,but I certainly don't have to like it.

We did beat England at rugby.

8 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yes. 100%

We're now playing a system where we're hard to beat and harder to score against.

The numbers back that up.

Anyone that thinks Steve Clarke is sticking to this system just to accommodate Tierney and Robertson is a fool. Maybe that's how it started, but not anymore.

Hendry - Hanley - Cooper/McKenna (Looks pretty good, if Tierney doesn't make it)

Will that formation be anywhere near as effective in making us hard to beat if Tierney isn’t involved though? 

Not looking for another debate on the best formation but any formation is only as good as the players that are chosen to play in it. 

Will certainly be interesting to see what Clarke does if Tierney doesn’t make it but hopefully it won’t come to that. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Will that formation be anywhere near as effective in making us hard to beat if Tierney isn’t involved though? 

Not looking for another debate on the best formation but any formation is only as good as the players that are chosen to play in it. 

Will certainly be interesting to see what Clarke does if Tierney doesn’t make it but hopefully it won’t come to that. 

Yes.

Steve Clarke has seen the numbers. I've posted the numbers.

We are more solid with a 3. There is no argument to be made.

I literally cannot remember when we were solid with a 4. It was in 1992. My earliest tournament was '96.

9 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yes.

Steve Clarke has seen the numbers. I've posted the numbers.

We are more solid with a 3. There is no argument to be made.

I literally cannot remember when we were solid with a 4. It was in 1992. My earliest tournament was '96.

I hate to disappoint you but I don’t think Steve Clarke frequents these pages. 

The numbers don’t really matter. What happened in 1992 isn’t really relevant to now. 

Whether we are better with a 3 or 4 at the back really depends on the players at our disposal. That has been my position all along. 

48 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I hate to disappoint you but I don’t think Steve Clarke frequents these pages. 

The numbers don’t really matter. What happened in 1992 isn’t really relevant to now. 

Whether we are better with a 3 or 4 at the back really depends on the players at our disposal. That has been my position all along. 

I hate to disappoint you but I think Steve Clarke is intelligent enough to look up statistics.

Scotland have not been capable of playing with a three since 1992. The facts bear it out.

There's a reason why Craig Brown ripped up Andy Roxburgh's template and introduced 3-5-2.

There's a reason why Vogts and Burley and Smith failed.

There's a reason why McLeish and Strachen flirted with a three at the back and shied away when the media and online fans objected .

And there's a reason why, when Steve Clarke STUCK with a three... and we qualified. 

This is what vindicated looks like.

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Did you really have to?🤣

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I hate to disappoint you but I think Steve Clarke is intelligent enough to look up statistics.

Scotland have not been capable of playing with a three since 1992. The facts bear it out.

There's a reason why Craig Brown ripped up Andy Roxburgh's template and introduced 3-5-2.

There's a reason why Vogts and Burley and Smith failed.

There's a reason why McLeish and Strachen flirted with a three at the back and shied away when the media and online fans objected .

And there's a reason why, when Steve Clarke STUCK with a three... and we qualified. 

This is what vindicated looks like.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

11 hours ago, thesaint said:

Who's not committed to the cause? 

13 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I know. But it's nice to have options. Plus Morgan is very much a creative outlet.

Has it officially been increased from 23 to 25?

I don't think it's official yet. Nor is the 10 day squad list rule. But both look quite likely.

I'd love to call up the likes of Morgan, Wright, Welsh, McRorie x2, among others, but there just isn't space for them, and no guarantee they'd improve the squad anyway. Those guys are probably in a bracket below Gauld, Turnbull, Patterson, Hickey and Gilmour.

23 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I don't think it's official yet. Nor is the 10 day squad list rule. But both look quite likely.

I'd love to call up the likes of Morgan, Wright, Welsh, McRorie x2, among others, but there just isn't space for them, and no guarantee they'd improve the squad anyway. Those guys are probably in a bracket below Gauld, Turnbull, Patterson, Hickey and Gilmour.

Because of the whole Covid thing they really must allow for larger squads. I'd even push it up to 30. Imagine if a squad had a rash of 7 or 8 cases. It would be chaotic.

Yeah. You can add Josh Doig to that list, too. He's two footed, so he might be a solution to the RWB spot, along with Patterson.

Oh. You just reminded me that Hickey is out 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Because of the whole Covid thing they really must allow for larger squads. I'd even push it up to 30. Imagine if a squad had a rash of 7 or 8 cases. It would be chaotic.

Yeah. You can add Josh Doig to that list, too. He's two footed, so he might be a solution to the RWB spot, along with Patterson.

Oh. You just reminded me that Hickey is out 

Actually, regarding Covid, the smart thing to do would be to keep a large group seperate as back up, so they aren't exposed. But, another unconfirmed rumour is that every player has to be vaccinated prior to the tournament anyway.

I hope Clarke is sensible enough to call up a large squad for the Dutch game, at least.