Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Big blow indeed. Opportunity to promote Gilmour?

I doubt it. 

Jack wasn’t in the last squad and Clarke didn’t pick Gilmour. I don’t think he will pick him until he’s at least coming off the bench regularly for Chelsea. 

against England I might be tempted to line up....

gordon

O’Donnell      Hanley       Cooper       Tierney            Robertson

Mctominay     Mcginn

Forrest                             Fraser

Dykes

Know it looks lopsided but would ask Robertson to push high up the pitch, encourage tierney to break from the back, with o Donnel attacking occasionally.

im no big fan of Forrest but we need something different going forward.

I think we want our epl centre halfs in if possible, those who know how to play Kane.

56 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Gordon - Marshall - McLaughlin

O’Donnell - Palmer

Hendry - McTominay - Hanley - Cooper - McKenna - Gallagher - Tierney

Robertson

McGregor - McGinn - Armstrong - Fleck - McLean - Christie - Turnbull

Fraser - Forrest

Adams - Dykes - Burke

I’d  guess that will be out 25 man squad. I’d leave Palmer, Fleck and Burke out, but Clarke likes them all.

So it's: Burke for McBurnie, Turnbull for Jack, Forrest for Nisbet. Cooper for Considine. Taylor dropped.

You could be right. Not sure who else I'd rather have instead. 

You'd think Burke will get plenty of game time with Sheffield United's striker injuries. 

57 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It might guarantee McTominay will play in midfield. But it also probably means McGregor will get played in the anchorman role, which I am firmly against.

I'd call up Gilmour as well, but I just can't see it happening.

Me too. Can Gilmour replicate Jack's role though? Both win the ball by reading the play rather than with crunching tackles. McLean is the most likely in Clarke's mind to replace Jack but it might be a window for Turnbull to squeeze in.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

gordon

Mctominay     Mcginn

Dykes

Know it looks lopsided but would ask Robertson to push high up the pitch, encourage tierney to break from the back, with o Donnel attacking occasionally.

I think we want our epl centre halfs in if possible, those who know how to play Kane.

Dead right.

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

gordon

Mctominay     Mcginn

Dykes

Don't think it's lopsided at all; really a 5-4-1 with Fraser more confortable on the left.

6 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

gordon

Mctominay     Mcginn

Dykes

Only problem with this is Tierney is unlikely to make it either. I hope to god he does but I think Clarke will need to plan for him not being available. 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

That’s a tad pessimistic. 

Not really. He’s out injured at the moment with 8 weeks to go with little hope of playing for Arsenal again this season according to his manager. 

Hope for the best and plan for the worst. If Clarke is relying on Tierney being fit in terms of who else he’s likely to select or the formation he’s planning to use then we could be in deep shit if he doesn’t make it. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Not really. He’s out injured at the moment with 8 weeks to go with little hope of playing for Arsenal again this season according to his manager. 

Hope for the best and plan for the worst. If Clarke is relying on Tierney being fit in terms of who else he’s likely to select or the formation he’s planning to use then we could be in deep shit if he doesn’t make it. 

Of course we would be in deep shit. An optimistic view would be he’s now 4-5 weeks away after the initial 6-8 weeks. He won’t lose much fitness in that period. He’s naturally fit and has most of the season in the tank. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We are in deep shit if Tierney doesn't make it. Jack is a loss but nothing like the loss of Tierney.

Mcburnie isn't a loss 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

Of course we would be in deep shit. An optimistic view would be he’s now 4-5 weeks away after the initial 6-8 weeks. He won’t lose much fitness in that period. He’s naturally fit and has most of the season in the tank. 

I’m as optimistic as anyone on here but when someone as injury prone as Tierney is out with a fairly serious injury 6 weeks before the squad is announced then I think we need to consider there is a very realistic chance he won’t make it. 

There’s also a good chance he will make it and hopefully he will. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m as optimistic as anyone on here but when someone as injury prone as Tierney is out with a fairly serious injury 6 weeks before the squad is announced then I think we need to consider there is a very realistic chance he won’t make it. 

There’s also a good chance he will make it and hopefully he will. 

Fingers crossed, indeed. 

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

We are in deep shit if Tierney doesn't make it. Jack is a loss but nothing like the loss of Tierney.

Mcburnie isn't a loss 

We really need our best players to make if we are to stand a chance of getting out the group. We’ve already lost one of our best players in Jack but he’s been missing for a while and we have players that can cover him.

We need Tierney, McGinn and McTominay to make it. Most other players could be replaced by someone of a similar standard. 

McBurnie would maybe have made a couple of cameo appearances with 10 minutes to go but he won’t be a major loss. 

41 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Thats a very accurate summary.

McBurnie missing is a bonus in all reality. 

It’s hardly a bonus if McBurnie doesn’t make it unless Clarke takes one striker fewer and finds another midfielder or defender that adds value to the squad. 

We aren’t exactly inundated with strikers at the moment and while McBurnie likely wouldn’t have started any of our 3 matches he could have been useful to throw on in the last 15 minutes if we were desperate for a goal.

16 hours ago, thesaint said:

All the McBurnie haters will be happy as pigs in shit now The guy must be gutted.Never mind,there is always that English guy,eh!It's a sad day when Scotland fans are happy to see a committed Scotland player injured,and cheer for a chancer who had no interest in playing for us,until we qualified for the euros.

Actually I'm thinking the spot in the squad would go to the likes of Gauld or Turnbull as stated above. I'm not interested in calling up professional footballers just because they are first generation Scots, I want to call up the best players available and this is where you and differ - within the rules of the game as it pertains to eligibility. 

we really need tierney to make it, i am optimistic but its still going to be tight. i would say losing mctominay, mcginn, tierney, christie, fraser, robertson would be a big blow as they are certain starters and we need our best players if we want to stand a chance of getting out the group.

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt it. We really need McTominay in midfield so if he sticks with a back 3 who does he play there? 

He could move Cooper or McKenna to left centre back I guess, then pick Gallagher centre and Hanley or Hendry right centre half.

Just now, Malcolm said:

He could move Cooper or McKenna to left centre back I guess, then pick Gallagher centre and Hanley or Hendry right centre half.

He could do but surely he only moved to 3 at the back to accommodate Tierney and Robertson in the same team?

He might not want to switch back now as the players have got used to it but if he goes with 3 at the back I think he’ll play McTominay there which will seriously weaken or midfield.