Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

Guest Scot1
2 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

It’s a key stage as we get near the end of the season but it’s a concern a huge amount of the squad have no form, not playing , injured or carrying injuries .

Putting dykes on a pedestal is a major concern .

Scored 2 in 7 for Scotland and played well in almost every game he’s appeared in. His form for QPR is poor, but I think he’ll continue to play well for Scotland if chosen.

8 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

If picking players on the basis of club form, McBurnie wouldn't be in the squad.

I've poured through Armstrong's record for Scotland:

22 appearances, 2 goals and 0 assists (unless you count the assist for Harry Kane).

Yes, he performs for Southampton, but not for Scotland. 

Armstrong got an assist on his debut (MOM too) where he slipped in Martin for the late winner. 

8 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

If picking players on the basis of club form, McBurnie wouldn't be in the squad.

22 appearances, 2 goals and 0 assists (unless you count the assist for Harry Kane).

Armstrong nearly always plays well for Scotland. He made a bad error against England but thats about it.

Often he is the only player who looks to move past the oppositon with the ball. Especially around the box.

I'm surprised nearly everyone has Taylor in their squad. I see little to no point in taking him. If god forbid Robertson got injured, you'd want Tierney one of the best LBs in the world to play in his natural position. Surely we'd play a natural CB and Tierney at LWB, rather than Tierney out of position and a lesser LB in Taylor at LWB.

5 hours ago, Davied14 said:

Re: Armstrong, is he capable of playing in one of the deeper midfield roles (Jack/McGregor) or is he purely vying for the more advanced role that McGinn normally fills?

I

I think if you asked 100 non Scotland fans to choose the vast majority would pick Armstrong over Mcginn 

Personally would stick him at right wing back and hope for the best. 

6 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Dismissing his ability over one mistake is bizarre. 

I've been watching Scotland since 1993. There's only three games that have scarred me, probably for life.

The 5:0 defeat against Portugal. (I blamed no one specifically. It was collective.

The 2:0 defeat to England in Euro 96 (Lots of Scotland fans people booed McAllister in later matches and be never forgave him. Personally, I didn't blame him. I blamed Uri Gellar. :P)

Then there's the 2:2 against England in 2017. (If Armstrong kicked the ball out of play, it would've bee a famous win and one that would've talked about for decades)

For the record, I wouldn't boo Stuart Armstrong. I would never do such a thing to a player playing for Scotland. 

11 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I'm surprised nearly everyone has Taylor in their squad. I see little to no point in taking him. If god forbid Robertson got injured, you'd want Tierney one of the best LBs in the world to play in his natural position. Surely we'd play a natural CB and Tierney at LWB, rather than Tierney out of position and a lesser LB in Taylor at LWB.

Yeh gotta agree with that. I like Taylor and hes committed enough but sadly the guy has probably two of our best left backs ever to compete with. Theres no way I could justify picking him. 

1. Gordon (Hearts)
  2. Marshall (Derby)
  3. Mclaughlin(rangers) 
  4. Robertson (Liverpool)
  5. Hanley (Norwich)
  6. Tierney (Arsenal)
  7. Gallagher (Motherwell)
  8. Porteous (Hibernian)
  9. Cooper (Leeds)
  10. Palmer(sheff wed) 
  11. Hendry (Oostende) 
  12. McKenna (Nottingham Forest)
  13. 0 donnell (Motherwell) 
  14. McGinn (Aston Villa)
  15. McGregor (Celtic)
  16. McTominay (Man Utd)
  17. McLean (Norwich)
  18. Christie (Celtic) 
  19. Armstrong(Southampton) 
  20. Jack (Rangers)
  21. Burke (sheff United) 
  22. Turnbull (Celtic)
  23. Griffiths(celtic) 
  24. Nisbet(hibs) 
  25. Fraser (Newcastle)
  26. McBurnie (Sheff Utd)
  27. Dykes (QPR)
That's my 27 man squad and I actually think it will be close to what Clarke picks if he gets to take 27 players. 
If Patterson keeps playing for Rangers then I would consider swapping him for palmer. 

21 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

McBurnie has been worse for Scotland than Armstrong has. 

On 3/10/2021 at 6:10 AM, Taylor1996 said:

So you’re not picking Armstrong based on his performances for Scotland.

And you are picking McBurnie based on his performances for Scotland.

You’re also picking wildcards like Mikey Johnston who doesn’t play for Celtic much even when fit & Lewis Morgan who, whilst a good player, must be very far down the pecking order in reality.

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:
  1. Gordon (Hearts)
  2. Marshall (Derby)
  3. Mclaughlin(rangers) 
  4. Robertson (Liverpool)
  5. Hanley (Norwich)
  6. Tierney (Arsenal)
  7. Gallagher (Motherwell)
  8. Porteous (Hibernian)
  9. Cooper (Leeds)
  10. Palmer(sheff wed) 
  11. Hendry (Oostende) 
  12. McKenna (Nottingham Forest)
  13. 0 donnell (Motherwell) 
  14. McGinn (Aston Villa)
  15. McGregor (Celtic)
  16. McTominay (Man Utd)
  17. McLean (Norwich)
  18. Christie (Celtic) 
  19. Armstrong(Southampton) 
  20. Jack (Rangers)
  21. Burke (sheff United) 
  22. Turnbull (Celtic)
  23. Griffiths(celtic) 
  24. Nisbet(hibs) 
  25. Fraser (Newcastle)
  26. McBurnie (Sheff Utd)
  27. Dykes (QPR)
That's my 27 man squad and I actually think it will be close to what Clarke picks if he gets to take 27 players. 
If Patterson keeps playing for Rangers then I would consider swapping him for palmer. 

That's a few people chosen Porteous now. Although Clarke has called up Porteous a few times, he favoured last minute callups like Considine and Devlin. So he must not have been cutting it in training if he allowed backups to jump the queue.

Obviously this is your preferred squad, not Clarke's, but if I had to guess, I'd say Considine would be ahead of him. 

A 27 man squad does solve a lot of dillemmas but has there been anything more than speculation related to a larger squad?

55 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

So you’re not picking Armstrong based on his performances for Scotland.

And you are picking McBurnie based on his performances for Scotland.

You’re also picking wildcards like Mikey Johnston who doesn’t play for Celtic much even when fit & Lewis Morgan who, whilst a good player, must be very far down the pecking order in reality.

I am not picking Armstrong because he cost us a win against our rival. I don't trust him as a footballer as he has this habit of turning off.

I didn't say that I was picking McBurnie on his Scotland performances. 

I'm so glad you mentioned McBurnie. You said that there are "Plenty other strikers" just over a week ago. I immediately asked you to name them. You didn't answer.

So, care to answer, now that you've time time to think about it? Name me these plenty other strikers. Remember, you said "plenty".

Yes I am. 

7 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

A 27 man squad does solve a lot of dillemmas but has there been anything more than speculation related to a larger squad?

Not officially. It was mooted about a month or so ago, as a precautionary matter in case Covid made an appearance.

At present, it's still squads of 23. 

Edited by Taylor1996

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I am not picking Armstrong because he cost us a win against our rival. I don't trust him as a footballer as he has this habit of turning off.

I didn't say that I was picking McBurnie on his Scotland performances. 

I'm so glad you mentioned McBurnie. You said that there are "Plenty other strikers" just over a week ago. I immediately asked you to name them. You didn't answer.

So, care to answer, now that you've time time to think about it? Name me these plenty other strikers. Remember, you said "plenty".

Yes I am. 

You’ve just said you aren’t picking McBurnie on his Scotland performances.

Also a few comments above, you’ve stated that on club form he can’t be picked.

You’ve also put him in your squad.

Either you don’t have a good memory or you’re arguing against yourself. 

15 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I'm not picking him on Scotland performances OR club performances. 

You're just telling me what I've already said. I know what I said, because I'm the one who said it.

I'm picking him because he's better than Shankland and Nisbet. No other reason.

You havent told me the plenty of strikers we have. 😛

30 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I think it's more a case that there's no strikers you can pick on their Scotland performances or their club form and at least McBurnie has some experience in the way the team is now set up.

Some international experience too

Edited by ceudmilefailte

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think it's more a case that there's no strikers you can pick on their Scotland performances or their club form and at least McBurnie has some experience in the way the team is now set up.

Some international experience too

Precisely.

On international form he can't (or should't) be called up, but we're so thin on the ground that we have to.

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I'm not picking him on Scotland performances OR club performances. 

You're just telling me what I've already said. I know what I said, because I'm the one who said it.

I'm picking him because he's better than Shankland and Nisbet. No other reason.

You havent told me the plenty of strikers we have. 😛

Someone who plays terrible in the EPL isn’t better than someone who who is decent in the SPL. 

It’s hard to argue with someone who argues and disagrees with themselves though.

So just carry on debating with yourself and being treated like a joke character/ignored in here. 

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Someone who plays terrible in the EPL isn’t better than someone who who is decent in the SPL. 

It’s hard to argue with someone who argues and disagrees with themselves though.

So just carry on debating with yourself and being treated like a joke character/ignored in here. 

Yes.

Says the person who states that we have plenty of strikers. Then doesn't give me one example.

A bit of advice? If you're going to post in a thread, try to move the conversation and topic forward, instead of trying to win points. Ceudmilefailte quite accurately understood my point, the fact that you couldn't says more about you than it does I.

:)

Edited by Taylor1996

I'll be a bit braver and try a 23 man squad.

1. Marshall (XI)
  2. Gordon (Marshall backup)
  3. Kelly (crisis only)
  4. Robertson (XI)
  5. Tierney (XI)
  6. Gallacher (XI)
  7. Hanley (XI)
  8. McKenna (Tierney backup)
  9. Cooper (Gallacher backup)
  10. O’Donnell (XI)
  11. Hendry (Hanley backup)
  12. McTominay (XI - DCM)
  13. McGinn (XI - DCM)
  14. McGregor (McGinn backup)
  15. Jack (McTominay backup)
  16. Turnbull (XI)
  17. Armstrong (Turnbull backup)
  18. Fraser (XI)
  19. Christie (Fraser backup)
  20. Burke ( Plan B )
  21. Dykes (XI)
  22. McBurnie (Dykes backup)
  23. Griffiths ( Plan B )

not sure about my 22 man squad, here is my first 11 assuming all fit and available and assuming we play 3 at the back...

Mcgregor

Patterson(N)  Cooper McKenna  tierney  robertson

Jack

Armstrong  mctominay  mcginn

Dykes

Risks are inexperienced right back, shaky looking centre half’s with a left footed right centre half, and a centre forward who doesn’t score goals.  On the other hand the midfield and goalie are great.