Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

There's been talk about the squads being increased, so, I'm taking a stab in the dark and will assume that it's squads of 27 .

There's some controversial choice, like Michael Johnston, but if he can stay fit, he could be the heir to the McFadden throne. 

Forrest is out as he's missed most of the season (played more than Johnston this season, but still). Scott McKenna will be back from injury.

The most difficult one is RWB. I went for Hickey because 10 starts in Serie A is nothing to be sniffed at. He probably will have learned more in 22 Serie A matches than he would have playing five seasons in the SPL. He will be one of our key players going forward, so why not fast track him.

Was a toss-up between Gauld and Christie. Since Gauld is playing in a far better league. Playing for a small team but still being one of the best performers in the league.

I'd integrate Hickey, Hendry and Gauld in the first XI for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

First XI: 3-4-1-2 (Use a different formation if you want)

Marshall 

Cooper - Hendry - Tierney

Hickey                             Robertson (C)

McTominay - Jack

McGinn

Dykes - Gauld

1. Gordon (Hearts)
  2. Marshall (Derby)
  3. McCrorie (Livingston)
  4. Robertson (Liverpool)
  5. Hanley (Norwich)
  6. Tierney (Arsenal)
  7. Gallagher (Motherwell)
  8. Porteous (Hibernian)
  9. Cooper (Leeds)
  10. Taylor (Celtic)
  11. Hendry (Oostende) 
  12. McKenna (Nottingham Forest)
  13. Hickey (Bologna)
  14. McGinn (Aston Villa)
  15. McGregor (Celtic)
  16. McTominay (Man Utd)
  17. McLean (Norwich)
  18. Christie (Celtic) 
  19. Johnston (Celtic)
  20. Jack (Rangers)
  21. Morgan (Inter Miami)
  22. Turnbull (Celtic)
  23. Gauld (Farense)
  24. Gilmour (Chelsea)
  25. Fraser (Newcastle)
  26. McBurnie (Sheff Utd)
  27. Dykes (QPR)
Edited by Taylor1996

• Taylor1996 changed the title to Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Porteous and Taylor wouldn’t be in my squad, Armstrong would. There only looks to be one right back there. Nathan Patterson is looking very good and is likely to play in the Europa league again on Thursday. If he continues to feature, I’d be tempted to include him. That said, I’d also include O’Donnell. I guess it’s between Patterson and Hickey plus the experienced O’Donnell. I think Forrest missing most of the season could work in his favour as he’ll be fresh going into the tournament, provided he plays in all Celtic’s games till the end of the season. I’m undecided on Griffiths, but I think rather him than Johnston. 

9 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

There's been talk about the squads being increased, so, I'm taking a stab in the dark and will assume that it's squads of 27 .

There's some controversial choice, like Michael Johnston, but if he can stay fit, he could be the heir to the McFadden throne. 

Forrest is out as he's missed most of the season (played more than Johnston this season, but still). Scott McKenna will be back from injury.

The most difficult one is RWB. I went for Hickey because 10 starts in Serie A is nothing to be sniffed at. He probably will have learned more in 22 Serie A matches than he would have playing five seasons in the SPL. He will be one of our key players going forward, so why not fast track him.

Was a toss-up between Gauld and Christie. Since Gauld is playing in a far better league. Playing for a small team but still being one of the best performers in the league.

I'd integrate Hickey, Hendry and Gauld in the first XI for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

First XI: 3-4-1-2 (Use a different formation if you want)

Marshall 

Cooper - Hendry - Tierney

Hickey                             Robertson (C)

McTominay - Jack

McGinn

Dykes - Gauld

1. Gordon (Hearts)
  2. Marshall (Derby)
  3. McCrorie (Livingston)
  4. Robertson (Liverpool)
  5. Hanley (Norwich)
  6. Tierney (Arsenal)
  7. Gallagher (Motherwell)
  8. Porteous (Hibernian)
  9. Cooper (Leeds)
  10. Taylor (Celtic)
  11. Hendry (Oostende) 
  12. McKenna (Nottingham Forest)
  13. Hickey (Bologna)
  14. McGinn (Aston Villa)
  15. McGregor (Celtic)
  16. McTominay (Man Utd)
  17. McLean (Norwich)
  18. Christie (Celtic) 
  19. Johnston (Celtic)
  20. Jack (Rangers)
  21. Morgan (Inter Miami)
  22. Turnbull (Celtic)
  23. Gauld (Farense)
  24. Gilmour (Chelsea)
  25. Fraser (Newcastle)
  26. McBurnie (Sheff Utd)
  27. Dykes (QPR)

With an extended squad, there may be space for 1 wildcard. 2 at the most. You've included Gauld, Hickey, Johnstone, Morgan, Gilmour, Porteous, who I'd all put into that category. I think they are all great players with a lot of potential, but I think Gauld is the one wildcard that has an outside chance of making it, IF it's a bigger squad.

You do only have 2 strikers though...

Edit: Did you deliberately leave out Armstrong?

Edited by Tartan blood

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

With an extended squad, there may be space for 1 wildcard. 2 at the most. You've included Gauld, Hickey, Johnstone, Morgan, Gilmour, Porteous, who I'd all put into that category. I think they are all great players with a lot of potential, but I think Gauld is the one wildcard that has an outside chance of making it, IF it's a bigger squad.

You do only have 2 strikers though...

Edit: Did you deliberately leave out Armstrong?

True. Wildcards is the word I'd choose, but it would be a bold selection, looking at both the present and the future. With all due respect to players like Paterson, Palmer and Considine, etc, they're not going to improve us.

Yeah. I know. We only really play with one true striker. A case could be made for Nisbet.

I did. I didn't want to say much about that as it will derail the thread. But yeah, no Armstrong. Maybe he can watch the Euro's from home.

3 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but there's no way Gilmour is getting called up. 

I don't know. It is my squad, though. ;)

18 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McCrorie and Gordon as reserve keepers is really scary.

Mcglaughlin and Kelly for me. 

Gordon, only because of his experience and he can he trusted.

The other three are as tenuous as each other. The goalkeeping situation has replaced center back as our biggest worry going forward. 

Barring injury I'll be amazed if at least nine of the starting 11 for the Czech doesn't come from:

Marshall

McTominay - Cooper - Tierney

O'Donnell - Jack- McGregor - Robertson

McGinn

Dykes - Fraser

Clarke won't stray too far from what got us through the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Davied14 said:

Barring injury I'll be amazed if at least nine of the starting 11 for the Czech doesn't come from:

Marshall

McTominay - Cooper - Tierney

O'Donnell - Jack- McGregor - Robertson

McGinn

Dykes - Fraser

Clarke won't stray too far from what got us through the playoffs.

We've not actually won for 3 games now and only scored once in those 3 matches.

Fraser coming back in would be a big boost.  

I'd pick Gauld amongst the forwards just because other options are so bad. Gilmour will miss out but I am absolutely certain would be in if he was playing anywhere else.

My squad of 25

1. Marshall

2. Gordon

3. McLaughlin

4. O'Donnell 

5. Palmer (but hoping Paterson if he gets game time and proves himself)

6. Robertson

7. Taylor

8. Tierney

9. Cooper

10. Gallagher

11. McKenna

11. Hendry

12. Hanley?

13. Jack

15. McTominay 

16. McGregor

17. Christie

18. Forrest

19. Armstrong 

20. McGinn

21. Turnbull

22. Dykes

23. McBurnie

24. Gauld

25. 1 other forward depending on form

Guest Scot1

Not going to list the whole squad but just my starting 11

Marshall

Hendry   Gallagher  Cooper

Rooney                         Tierney

McTominay   McGinn

Armstrong

Dykes           Fraser

I do realise that this isn’t going to happen, but out the players who are getting regular game time and in decent form at the moment this is the team I’d choose to play in the upcoming WC qualifiers

Edited by Scot1

Guest ElChris04

Armstrong being left out is utterly bonkers to me, I’d have though he’d be a staple in everyone’s team giving his brilliant consistency at club level with Southampton at the highest level. 

13 hours ago, romanticscot said:

A 27 man squad would be great for the Euro's, are there any leagues currently affected and having to rush the end of their seasons with fixture congestion to support such a large group of players?  

I'm not really sure. None that I know of.

14 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Armstrong being left out is utterly bonkers to me, I’d have though he’d be a staple in everyone’s team giving his brilliant consistency at club level with Southampton at the highest level. 

If picking players on the basis of club form, McBurnie wouldn't be in the squad.

I've poured through Armstrong's record for Scotland:

22 appearances, 2 goals and 0 assists (unless you count the assist for Harry Kane).

Yes, he performs for Southampton, but not for Scotland. 

7 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Not going to list the whole squad but just my starting 11

Marshall

Hendry   Gallagher  Cooper

Rooney                         Tierney

McTominay   McGinn

Armstrong

Dykes           Fraser

I do realise that this isn’t going to happen, but out the players who are getting regular game time and in decent form at the moment this is the team I’d choose to play in the upcoming WC qualifiers

Robertson will play, that's guaranteed. Tierney will be left of the 3 with robertson as wing back. 

Robertsons team.may off form but he is still a very good player, he will play every game in the euros if he is free of injury.

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Are you talking about starting 11 or the squad? Armstrong should definitely be in the squad but it's up for debate if he should start. 

Guest Scot1
23 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Robertson will play, that's guaranteed. Tierney will be left of the 3 with robertson as wing back. 

Robertsons team.may off form but he is still a very good player, he will play every game in the euros if he is free of injury.

I realise Clarke isn’t going to drop his captain, Robertson. But being honest, and I was an avid advocate of playing both Robertson and Tierney in a back 3/5 to get them both on the pitch at the same time. It’s not worked as well as I’d hoped offensively. Defensively it’s looked solid, but I was hoping that we’d look more dangerous down the left offensively. To be  fair it’s still early days and Robertson does seem to be gradually growing into the wing-back role. But perhaps it’s time to have them both competing for the 1 spot. 

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

If picking players on the basis of club form, McBurnie wouldn't be in the squad.

I've poured through Armstrong's record for Scotland:

22 appearances, 2 goals and 0 assists (unless you count the assist for Harry Kane).

Yes, he performs for Southampton, but not for Scotland. 

At the end of the day the principle of football is calling up players on form and he’s doing that at the highest level, aye we can show loyalty to a certain few who maybe aren’t doing it at club level that fit Clarke’s system and played part in our qualifying campaign, but Armstrong is a key asset to have if it’s starting or coming off the bench with his ability. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Are you talking about starting 11 or the squad? Armstrong should definitely be in the squad but it's up for debate if he should start. 

23 man team being a staple. As for starting it’s a fair debate to discuss on his current form he’s currently in, but aye an absolute staple I would have thought for the 23 man squad at the least. 

Edited by ElChris04

19 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

At the end of the day the principle of football is calling up players on form and he’s doing that at the highest level, aye we can show loyalty to a certain few who maybe aren’t doing it at club level that fit Clarke’s system and played part in our qualifying campaign, but Armstrong is a key asset to have if it’s starting or coming off the bench with his ability. 

Fair enough, we're all entitled to our opinion.

What he did against England was unforgivable. On that account, I'd never want him selected again. 

I'm actually surprised that so many Scotland fans forgive him. Personally, that match still stings.

But as I said, I respect everyones opinions.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Fair enough, we're all entitled to our opinion.

What he did against England was unforgivable. On that account, I'd never want him selected again. 

I'm actually surprised that so many Scotland fans forgive him. Personally, that match still stings.

But as I said, I respect everyones opinions.

Dismissing his ability over one mistake is bizarre. 

If Gordon had come out and claimed the cross or if Griffiths had closed down the man crossing you would have forgotten about it. 

Players make mistakes all the time. He’s obviously good enough for Scotland. 

Re: Armstrong, is he capable of playing in one of the deeper midfield roles (Jack/McGregor) or is he purely vying for the more advanced role that McGinn normally fills?

I think that McCrorie is potentially a dark horse to make the squad due to his versatility. Offers cover at CB, CM and RB.