Jack Hendry - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jack Hendry

Taylor1996

Neither should be near the first eleven at present, their cases aren't THAT good.

Good enough to be under consideration? Yes for sure.

Hendrie (sp) unfortunately didn't cope with the expectation at Celtic - with hindsight that was not a good move for him. He could however be a reliable option at centre-back similar to the way Stephen O'Donnell is at right back.

20 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Neither should be near the first eleven at present, their cases aren't THAT good.

Hendrie (sp) unfortunately didn't cope with the expectation at Celtic - with hindsight that was not a good move for him. He could however be a reliable option at centre-back similar to the way Stephen O'Donnell is at right back.

Well I think there is a very good case for his involvement. He is playing at a higher level than most of our (natural) CBs and is performing to a high standard. He's also younger than most of our CBs and a lot of people seem to be judging him on his previous Celtic performances.

He joined Celtic far too early, he wasn't ready for that level and had very little first team experience at that point. It showed in his performances. since then he has gone out and experienced different things. This has clearly had a positive effect on his development. 

For me he should be above the likes of Considine and probably Gallagher. He is years younger than both and playing well at a better level. Whereas Considine and Gallagher have had average/poor seasons.

Hendry is a good player, but needs to play a run of games to get into it. Deserves a shot.

As for not getting a game at Celtic, he was played in a few different positions, but he is miles better than Welsh or that donkey fuck.

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Hendry is playing at a higher level than his SPL peers. He's also at the heart of a small team that could clinch a European Cup spot. It definitely adds credibility.

He's tall, quick, good passing range. He is the like-for-like natural replacement to McTominay in defense.

I've seen him a few times. He's filled out and he's matured. I would say that his club form should be rewarded by a place beside Tierney and Cooper.

As for Gauld, he's one of the top performers in the Portuguese top flight. As much as I love Christie (his interview after the Serbia match could've melted an iceberg), Gauld deserves a chance. He's been a stand out player even whilst playing against Benfica and Sporting Lisbon.

Both should 100% be in the forthcoming squad.

Edited by Taylor1996

7 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

He's tall, quick, good passing range. He is the like-for-like natural replacement to McTominay in defense.

This exactly. The main justification for playing McTominay ahead of any other CB was his height, being right footed, and able to carry the ball out of defence. All the attributes Hendry possesses. 

I think we're all desperate to get McTominay back in midfield, Hendry is the solution. Though I wouldnt be against playing any one of Hanley, Cooper or McKenna in there either.

10 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Hendry is a vastly superior player to O’Donnell.

He should and will start our upcoming games IMO. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's played 20 times for an over performing team in a pretty poor league. I think one or two people are getting a bit carried away. 

what makes you assess the Belgian league as "pretty poor". Better than the Scottish league and co-effecient wise probably on a par with the Dutch and maybe Russian league. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's played 20 times for an over performing team in a pretty poor league. I think one or two people are getting a bit carried away. 

Nobody is getting carried away.

People want hendry in the squad as we have a lack of top class defenders, nothing wrong with that.

I think Hendry has certainly earned his chance at a squad place and hopefully will see some action at some point - preferably after two wins and comes on in the 60th minute when we are 3-0 up against the Faroes. 

He had a bit of a mare at Celtic, but not writing the laddie off, and he's still reasonably younger. Hopefully Oostende can keep up their run and get in to the CL!

Makes perfect sense to call him up at a stage before our main focus is on the euros. If we didn’t call him up and he continued to perform then it would be a wasted chance. That goes for Turnbull too. Not sure if there will be many other new inclusions apart from those 2. 

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

I think Hendry has certainly earned his chance at a squad place and hopefully will see some action at some point - preferably after two wins and comes on in the 60th minute when we are 3-0 up against the Faroes. 

He had a bit of a mare at Celtic, but not writing the laddie off, and he's still reasonably younger. Hopefully Oostende can keep up their run and get in to the CL!

On form he should start the upcoming internationals alongside Cooper & Tierney as a back 3 IMO. 

9 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If the Belgian league is pretty poor, then how bad is the SPL?

The Belgian league is far superior to the SPL. The Belgians have multiple teams into the group stages of the champions league and Europa League.

I genuinely can't remember the last non Rangers/Celtic team to make the group stages of a European competition. Was it Aberdeen 13 years ago?

He is playing well in a superior league to our own. Surely he deserves a call up over a guy like Considine.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

If the Belgian league is pretty poor, then how bad is the SPL?

The Belgian league is far superior to the SPL. The Belgians have multiple teams into the group stages of the champions league and Europa League.

I genuinely can't remember the last non Rangers/Celtic team to make the group stages of a European competition. Was it Aberdeen 13 years ago?

He is playing well in a superior league to our own. Surely he deserves a call up over a guy like Considine.

I would never in a 100 years say the SPL is even close in standard to the Belgian League. Our league is rank rotten.

If Rangers win the Europa league our coefficient will go up but it wont make Hibs and Kilmarnock any better

Considine won't get called up again unless there are injuries and I would hope Hendry would start ahead of Gallagher. None of that is a reason to get over excited which is what I said.

On 3/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, Tartan blood said:

This exactly. The main justification for playing McTominay ahead of any other CB was his height, being right footed, and able to carry the ball out of defence. All the attributes Hendry possesses. 

I think we're all desperate to get McTominay back in midfield, Hendry is the solution. Though I wouldnt be against playing any one of Hanley, Cooper or McKenna in there either.

Yeah. Exactly right. I doubt we would miss a beat if we replaced McTominay for Hendy.

Definitely. If we moved McTominay into the double-pivot, being the one with license to roam, it'll immediately make us stronger in midfield, not even mentioning the goal threat he offers.

Heres hoping hendry is as good as we are all hoping. My concern is he is playing in the middle of a 3 in belgium and there is a big difference playing there rather than on the right in the sense when you are in the middle you just always have to be there where right or left you have to cover all the gaps so a lot more thinking and concentration involved. I hope it can work out as imo a midfield 3 of jack cdm with mctominay and mcginn just in front of him  on either side sounds really gd with armstrong supporting the striker. Christie mcgregor and turnbull i feel will also be able players in the midfield and no doubt lots will change between now and the summer. If dykes can produce for us what he has in past we will be looking strong although he seems to be struggling just now. We seem have a lot of options now in nearly all positions other than rb and striker and goalkeeper. I just hope we do well in these world cup qualifiers to give us another boost then the countdown to summer can really begin. 

I'd include him in the squad. 

If I was Clarke, I'd be looking to name a larger squad than normal and bring in some of the form players like Hendry, Hanley, Gauld and Turnbull.

I think my squad would look something like this - 

1. Gordon (Hearts)
  2. Marshall (Derby)
  3. McLaughlin (Rangers)
  4. McCrorie (Livingston)
  5. Robertson (Liverpool)
  6. Hanley (Norwich)
  7. Tierney (Arsenal)
  8. Gallagher (Motherwell)
  9. Cooper (Leeds)
  10. Taylor (Celtic)
  11. Hendry (Oostende) 
  12. Patterson (Rangers)
  13. Hickey (Bologna)
  14. McGinn (Aston Villa)
  15. McGregor (Celtic)
  16. Armstrong (Southampton)
  17. McTominay (Man Utd)
  18. McLean (Norwich)
  19. Christie (Celtic) 
  20. Jack (Rangers)
  21. Turnbull (Celtic)
  22. Gauld (Farense)
  23. Forrest (Celtic)
  24. Fraser (Newcastle)
  25. Paterson (Sheff Wed)
  26. McBurnie (Sheff Utd)
  27. Dykes (QPR)

I've left McKenna out because he's injured and Griffiths doesn't make it because he's not done enough lately but you could easily swap him and McBurnie.  

48 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

If I was Clarke, I'd be looking to name a larger squad than normal and bring in some of the form players like Hendry, Hanley, Gauld and Turnbull.

1. Gordon (Hearts)
  2. Marshall (Derby)
  3. McLaughlin (Rangers)
  4. McCrorie (Livingston)
  5. Robertson (Liverpool)
  6. Hanley (Norwich)
  7. Tierney (Arsenal)
  9. Cooper (Leeds)
  10. Taylor (Celtic)
  11. Hendry (Oostende) 
  12. Patterson (Rangers)
  13. Hickey (Bologna)
  14. McGinn (Aston Villa)
  15. McGregor (Celtic)
  17. McTominay (Man Utd)
  18. McLean (Norwich)
  19. Christie (Celtic) 
  20. Jack (Rangers)
  21. Turnbull (Celtic)
  22. Gauld (Farense)
  23. Forrest (Celtic)
  24. Fraser (Newcastle)
  25. Paterson (Sheff Wed)
  26. McBurnie (Sheff Utd)
  27. Dykes (QPR)

I've left McKenna out because he's injured and Griffiths doesn't make it because he's not done enough lately but you could easily swap him and McBurnie.  

If it’s 27 that’s a good 27.

I’d not include a 4th goalie and I’d have Fleck for McLean.

I like the inclusion of Patterson and the other new caps. 

8 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

1. Gordon (Hearts)
  2. Marshall (Derby)
  3. McLaughlin (Rangers)
  4. McCrorie (Livingston)
  5. Robertson (Liverpool)
  6. Hanley (Norwich)
  7. Tierney (Arsenal)
  9. Cooper (Leeds)
  10. Taylor (Celtic)
  11. Hendry (Oostende) 
  12. Patterson (Rangers)
  13. Hickey (Bologna)
  14. McGinn (Aston Villa)
  15. McGregor (Celtic)
  17. McTominay (Man Utd)
  18. McLean (Norwich)
  19. Christie (Celtic) 
  20. Jack (Rangers)
  21. Turnbull (Celtic)
  22. Gauld (Farense)
  23. Forrest (Celtic)
  24. Fraser (Newcastle)
  25. Paterson (Sheff Wed)
  26. McBurnie (Sheff Utd)
  27. Dykes (QPR)

If I picked a squad 1 year from now, there is a decent chance it would look like that. But this is waaaay too soon for Patterson, and probably Hickey as well.

Griffiths dropped for not doing enough but Forrest goes straight back in with only 15mins of football in 6 months? If Griff gets even just a few starts between now and the Euros, he should be in the squad. He's pretty much our only natural goalscorer (up front).