Oliver McBurnie - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver McBurnie

Taylor1996

51 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

"There's plenty of strikers".

SPL: Nisbet : 11 - Shankland: 7.

EPL: McBurnie: 1.

English Championship: Dykes: 5.

Those are our top 5 strikers. 24 goals between the 5 of them, three quarters into the season.

Which striker is Steve Clarke ignoring? 

Good luck getting a sensible answer. :lol:

In an ideal world someone with McBurnie's recent club and international form would be nowhere near the national side. In an ideal world though we'd have a selection of top strikers to chose from, all scoring 20 goals a season in the top European leagues. But we don't.

Basically, we have those players you've listed, plus Leigh Griffiths, and he's probably past his peak now. 

McBurnie's no world beater, but it's not as if he's keeping a Kenny Dalglish or a Denis Law out of the side. He's there because, like it or not, he's one of the best available. And that isn't his fault.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the stick he gets on here is way beyond what it should be.

5 minutes ago, scotlad said:

In an ideal world someone with McBurnie's recent club and international form would be nowhere near the national side. In an ideal world though we'd have a selection of top strikers to chose from, all scoring 20 goals a season in the top European leagues. But we don't.

Basically, we have those players you've listed, plus Leigh Griffiths, and he's probably past his peak now. 

McBurnie's no world beater, but it's not as if he's keeping a Kenny Dalglish or a Denis Law out of the side. He's there because, like it or not, he's one of the best available. And that isn't his fault.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the stick he gets on here is way beyond what it should be.

I have no hatred of him, he turns up and tries his best. He's probably going to be part of our squads for years to come but I genuinely hope Clarke doesn't play him and picks Nisbet, Griffiths or Dykes over him because literally every time he's played for us he's been poor.

If we have a few friendlies in the future then give him a chance in those to see if he can perform better and earn a place in the first team. 

You are right in saying that we don't have good options upfront and we can't afford to turn our nose up at a guy playing in the epl. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I have no hatred of him, he turns up and tries his best. He's probably going to be part of our squads for years to come but I genuinely hope Clarke doesn't play him and picks Nisbet, Griffiths or Dykes over him because literally every time he's played for us he's been poor.

If we have a few friendlies in the future then give him a chance in those to see if he can perform better and earn a place in the first team. 

You are right in saying that we don't have good options upfront and we can't afford to turn our nose up at a guy playing in the epl. 

A couple of months ago I would have said Nisbet had a good chance of making the squad and I would have been very pleased to see him included, but he's gone off the boil since the Birmingham City transfer collapsed (and putting in transfer request just six months into a 4 year contract with a new club isn't the best way to go about winning friends and influencing people, but that's another matter!).

24 minutes ago, scotlad said:

A couple of months ago I would have said Nisbet had a good chance of making the squad and I would have been very pleased to see him included, but he's gone off the boil since the Birmingham City transfer collapsed (and putting in transfer request just six months into a 4 year contract with a new club isn't the best way to go about winning friends and influencing people, but that's another matter!).

Not sure I would say he's off the boil, he's just out of favour after the whole transfer issue. He should be a contender for the squad based on what he did in the first half of the season. 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Agree with everything apart from the bit in bold. 

He’s got 14 caps and showed very little in them, hence the stick. 

It’s not personal beyond him just not playing well for us, well in my case anyway. 

I’ll be the first to say I’m wrong if he starts playing well for us, he’ll definitely get chances since we’ve few alternatives. 

14 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I mean, yes, that is possible. I certainly won't be taking qualifying for granted. But the squad we have is the best we've had this century, and new players, with huge potential, are being added every fortnight. We really should be competing for tournament places every couple of years for the foreseeable.

I've written down a few iterations of a 23 man squad since November, and it is already insanely hard to drop anyone. I don't think any of the aforementioned can fit into that squad, nor merit it, before the Euros.

Growing up I took qualification for granted (apart from 94)... won't be doing that again.

Just off my head, I'd swap Hickey for Palmer. Gilmour for Armstrong. Turnbull for Paterson. Johnston for Shankland.

I'll reserve my judgement on Nathan Patterson. 

Interesting. I haven't thought how many untouchables we have in the first XI.

It's true, but there's been talk about FIFA increasing the squads. Probably to about 26 or 27. So there might be hope for some of the youngsters. 

13 hours ago, scotlad said:

lol. Yeah. But I live in hope. ;)

Proud Scot thinks we have plenty of strikers. I'm just waiting on being enlightened. 

I agree with everything you just said.

The way that some people treat McBurnie anyone would think that he's keeping the next big thing out of the team. But he isn't. He's among the best we have.

These people have two options, either accept McBurnie and get off his back, or begin championing us picking strikers from the lower divisions of Scotland.

Edited by Taylor1996

3 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

lol. Yeah. But I live in hope. ;)

I agree with everything you just said.

The way that some people treat McBurnie anyone would think that he's keeping the next big thing out of the team. But he isn't. He's among the best we have.

These people have two options, either accept McBurnie and get off his back, or begin championing us picking strikers from the lower divisions of Scotland.

You speak more and more nonsense daily.

He’s the worst, based on performances and stats, of any player I can remember in my lifetime who’s played more than 1-2 games for us. 

Is the SPL the lower divisions of Scotland? 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

You speak more and more nonsense daily.

He’s the worst, based on performances and stats, of any player I can remember in my lifetime who’s played more than 1-2 games for us. 

Is the SPL the lower divisions of Scotland? 

Fine.

Tell me these "plenty" of strikers we can pick from? Jason Cummings? Chris Maguire?

Apart from Shankland and Nisbet, who else is there?

19 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Growing up I took qualification for granted (apart from 94)... won't be doing that again.

Just off my head, I'd swap Hickey for Palmer. Gilmour for Armstrong. Turnbull for Paterson. Johnston for Shankland.

I'll reserve my judgement on Nathan Patterson. 

Interesting. I haven't thought how many untouchables we have in the first XI.

It's true, but there's been talk about FIFA increasing the squads. Probably to about 26 or 27. So there might be hope for some of the youngsters. 

I don't disagree with your swaps long term, but Armstrong is actually the only name you mentioned that made it into my final 23. So swapping the rest is moot (for me at least)

Nathan Patterson has started less than half a dozen games(?) He is miles down the pecking order for a Euros place. But you never know, stranger things have happened.

Untouchables:

Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, Marshall, McTominay

Everyone else should feel like they are fighting to the death for their place.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

I don't disagree with your swaps long term, but Armstrong is actually the only name you mentioned that made it into my final 23. So swapping the rest is moot (for me at least)

Nathan Patterson has started less than half a dozen games(?) He is miles down the pecking order for a Euros place. But you never know, stranger things have happened.

Untouchables:

And Christie imo. 

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

Untouchables:

I'd also bring in Graeme Shinnie (or Ross McCrorie) in case something happens to Jack.

Exactly. Patterson might have potential, but he'd have to cement his place in the Rangers team to get the nod, for me.

Yeah. I'd go along with those 5. I'd add Dykes in there as well. The way we play, he's really the only target man we have.

And the people championing Karlan Grant and Che Adams is puzzling.

Adams is a better player than McBurnie, but he's just as nervy in front of goal.

Grant has scored 1 in 16 in the EPL and Adams has scored 4 in 25 in the EPL (last season McBurnie scored 6 in the EPL)

Adams's Championship record is the exact same as McBurnie's.

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

And Christie imo. 

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I'd also bring in Graeme Shinnie (or Ross McCrorie) in case something happens to Jack.

Exactly. Patterson might have potential, but he'd have to cement his place in the Rangers team to get the nod, for me.

Yeah. I'd go along with those 5. I'd add Dykes in there as well. The way we play, he's really the only target man we have.

Shinnie or McCrorie in the final 23? How on earth would you fit them in? 

2 months ago I'd have had Christie and Dykes as untouchable as well. But both player's club form has been erratic and makes their place a bit more precarious. Saying that, if I chose a first 11 now, they'd both be in it.

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Shinnie or McCrorie in the final 23? How on earth would you fit them in? 

2 months ago I'd have had Christie and Dykes as untouchable as well. But both player's club form has been erratic and makes their place a bit more precarious. Saying that, if I chose a first 11 now, they'd both be in it.

Christie is untouchable imo. His form hasn't been as good this season but his goals to games ratio for celtic is still impressive for a midfielder and he's scored 4 goals for us which included two crackers. He's a certainty for the squad and one of our best players easily. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Christie is untouchable imo. His form hasn't been as good this season but his goals to games ratio for celtic is still impressive for a midfielder and he's scored 4 goals for us which included two crackers. He's a certainty for the squad and one of our best players easily. 

I was referring to the first 11 specifically. i.e guaranteed starters. My 23 man squad probably has about 15 untouchables.

Dykes and Christie would 100% be in my 23 man squad, but if Dykes continues with his barren goal scoring spell and Griffiths starts banging in hattricks, then his first 11 place could be in jeopardy. Same goes for Christie. If Fraser gets a run of games and is in fine form, I wouldn't necessarily be against playing him as the second striker instead.

14 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

That's a big problem with our mind set.

Patterson already looks better than O'Donnell and Palmer and has 10 times the potential.

We are talking about a position we are very very poor in so it really isn't that much of a risk to stick him straight in. Almost a case of he can't be  much worse than what we have that it would make that much of a difference if he was.

Wait a year and a bit and leave him 12 caps experience behind were he should be and that means if he is any good he will always be be those 12 caps less experienced. Like other international teams we need to have players with 80/90 caps before they retire 

Different with most of the other uncapped players touted were we have decent experienced players to chose from in their positions.

Just noticed this was the McBurnie thread, I would hope all our current strikers are binned if one half decent youngster scores a dozen goals at any reasonable level.

Guess Fraser Hornby wasn't the answer hence the prerequisite that scoring goals actually matters.

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Patterson already looks better than O'Donnell and Palmer and has 10 times the potential.

We are talking about a position we are very very poor in so it really isn't that much of a risk to stick him straight in. Almost a case of he can't be  much worse than what we have that it would make that much of a difference if he was.

Wait a year and a bit and leave him 12 caps experience behind were he should be and that means if he is any good he will always be be those 12 caps less experienced. Like other international teams we need to have players with 80/90 caps before they retire 

Different with most of the other uncapped players touted were we have decent experienced players to chose from in their positions.

Just noticed this was the McBurnie thread, I would hope all our current strikers are binned if one half decent youngster scores a dozen goals at any reasonable level.

Guess Fraser Hornby wasn't the answer hence the prerequisite that scoring goals actually matters.

I agree with the logic completely. We have been guilty of that in the past with the likes of Fraser and Griffiths being under-used early on.

However, I think you are being too harsh on O'Donnell. If he was playing for Rangers, I think he'd be really showing what he is capable of weekly. The same logic you have used applies to Hickey, who probably has dozens more starts in Serie A and the SPFL. Yes, I know he normally plays left back, but he is a more than capable RB.

I'll happily hold my hand up and admit I was wrong regarding Patterson if he ends up in the team for the Euros. But my prediction is that he'll be straight back on the bench when Tavernier is fit, and possibly miss a few other games from Covid-related suspensions. So Clarke is not going to be throwing a youngster into the first 11 with less than 20 senior games to his name.

McBurnie would make my final 23 as well (back on topic).

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I can understand calling up Patterson if he gets consistent run of starts but calling up players based on a couple of appearances for Rangers is mental. 

Also o donnell and palmer would probably look decent in that rangers team atm. Not saying that's the case with Patterson but I think it's fair that he plays well consistently for Rangers before we call him up.