Oliver McBurnie - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver McBurnie

Taylor1996

totally agree.It was just a throw away line ,said tongue in cheek.I know I have sometimes said when going to watch Scotland,why am I going to watch this crap.Especially in the Bertie Boggs era.However,go I did to everyone of those games.I don't expect anybody to doubt my commitment to Scotland because I made a tongue in cheek remark.The same thing goes with mcburnie.He turned up for that South American tour.while plenty didn't.He's welcome as far as I'm concerned.

39 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

McBurnie's problem is that he plays for two teams that don't have wide players. Both play a version of 3-5-2

He needs crosses into the box that he can attack. He is not suited to intricate build up play through the midfield 

Even when Scotland have played with two wide players - e.g. Cyprus away - they both cut back inside onto their stronger foot. 

You'd think that, but he isn't a target man. He's awful in the air.

I was watching a match recently and the co-commentator (cant remember who it was. Ex-Pro), said, "I cant believe McBurnie didn't put his head on that". I was thinking the exact same.

Subbed on in the 89th minute to kill time. 

Sums up his season & his ability sadly.

There’s no bandwagon or unfair negativity against him - He’s a very poor player & goals and performances at both club and international level are evidence of that. 

19 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Subbed on in the 89th minute to kill time. 

Sums up his season & his ability sadly.

There’s no bandwagon or unfair negativity against him - He’s a very poor player & goals and performances at both club and international level are evidence of that. 

he is indeed very poor but in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.  We have a dearth of striking talent.  A real problem.  Not even a glimpse of a striker coming through. 

dykes - not scoring, recently dropped

griffiths - looks unfit, can’t get a game in a terrible Celtic team

shankland - hardly scoring, not really cut it in the spl

nisbet  - can’t get in the hibs team

mcburnie might be poor but might still get a game.  
3-7-0 formation anyone?

I don’t mind if Dykes isn’t scoring because against Serbia anyway, his game benefited the team, obviously if he’s not playing at club level that’s not good for match fitness, McBurnie was rotten against Serbia when he came on, couldn’t hold the ball up at all, maybe not all his fault as the rest of the team looked tired by then but it’s indicative of his other Scotland performances. 

49 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

he is indeed very poor but in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.  We have a dearth of striking talent.  A real problem.  Not even a glimpse of a striker coming through. 

griffiths - looks unfit, can’t get a game in a terrible Celtic team

shankland - hardly scoring, not really cut it in the spl

nisbet  - can’t get in the hibs team

mcburnie might be poor but might still get a game.  
3-7-0 formation anyone?

Tbf Nisbet has only been benched due to the transfer interest I think. 

With no young striker coming through, it would appear that McBurmie is going to play back up to Dykes.

That's just the way it is. Unless we can poach a player from another country. We're so bad at producing strikers that we has to poach Dykes from Australia. 

I can't remember a time where we had so little options up front. Growing up, it was said that we were lacking quality strikers, but players like Durie, McCoist, Gallagher and Jackson would be first picks in this team... maybe even Burchill.

We have two options:

Either try McTominay up front or bring back Steve Naismith. Naismith is still our best striker, in terms of technical ability and intelligence. 

As for Dykes, we keep saying that he's good in the air, but tonight he won 2 out of 15 duels in the air.

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It was said in jest.

where did you see that confirmed? 

If it was said in jest, then his comedy routines are on a par with his footballing abilities:

Fleck: are you going away? 

McBurnie: I hope not.......you injured?

Fleck: inaudible.

McBurnie: you going to leave me to go on my own?

Fleck: inaudible

McBurnie: it’s shite

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Can't be bothered searching back but he has started 7 of QPR's  last 8 games and has hardly missed a game all season.

Two of our attacking midfield players up front isn't that stupid.

According to who scored Gauld has played 4 times up front and it is his rating wise his best position, 2 goals and 2 assits in 4 games is pretty handy.

Off course we are playing hoof ball so that won't happen.

14 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

If it was said in jest, then his comedy routines are on a par with his footballing abilities:

Get over yourself, no matter what you say it was shop floor banter. Your either too young to understand that or an accountant.

17 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

No. I remember.

I still claim that he was joking. If Steve Clarke accepts his explanation then I think we should, too.

If he actually was 100% serious, he would not have travelled to various parts of the world with the U19s and U21s.

It's up to you, though. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Edited by Taylor1996

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

According to who scored Gauld has played 4 times up front and it is his rating wise his best position, 2 goals and 2 assits in 4 games is pretty handy.

Yeah. He seems to have a free-role beside the striker.

After watching him tons of times this season, I wouldnt hesitate starting Gauld.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

No. I remember.

I still claim that he was joking. If Steve Clarke accepts his explanation then I think we should, too.

If he actually was 100% serious, he would not have travelled to various parts of the world with the U19s and U21s.

It's up to you, though. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Clarke rates him or doesn't have a better option. I get the impression its the former as even if we had someone emerging banging in the goals, I get the impression he would still be selecting McBurnie. my final contribution is (to avoid flogging a topical dead horse):

- aside from not scoring, he has not had one good game for Scotland;

- the team performance overall regresses when he plays/when he comes on;

- he is slow and doesn't pressurise defenders when we don't have the ball;

- he doesn't win much in the air;

- I probably rate him alongside Callum Paterson in terms of ability as a striker (someone else who will probably make the final Euro squad) - and Paterson shares the above attributes though is probably better in the air. 

12 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Clarke rates him or doesn't have a better option. I get the impression its the former as even if we had someone emerging banging in the goals, I get the impression he would still be selecting McBurnie. my final contribution is (to avoid flogging a topical dead horse):

- I probably rate him alongside Callum Paterson in terms of ability as a striker (someone else who will probably make the final Euro squad) - and Paterson shares the above attributes though is probably better in the air. 

To be fair to McBurnie, he does win a lot of balls in the air, albeit in his own box. I'm not saying that is necessarily a good enough reason to include him on its own, but it is handy to have someone we can bring on if we are being bombarded with balls into the box from set pieces.

....saying that, bringing on another CB would make far more sense.

I'm reeeeeeally hoping John Kennedy's patriotic side starts shining through and begins giving Griffiths game time in preparation for the Euros. He is still by far our most gifted goalscorer, and actually has almost the same goals to min ratio as Edouard this year, despite his "fitness" problems.

26 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I'm in total agreement.

I would rather those those things to beat him with, though, instead of the comments he made.

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm reeeeeeally hoping John Kennedy's patriotic side starts shining through and begins giving Griffiths game time in preparation for the Euros. He is still by far our most gifted goalscorer, and actually has almost the same goals to min ratio as Edouard this year, despite his "fitness" problems.

Agreed.

Michael Johnston, too.

People may rate Fraser and/or Forrest, but Johston has more old school trickery in his locker.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

With no young striker coming through, it would appear that McBurmie is going to play back up to Dykes.

That's just the way it is. Unless we can poach a player from another country. We're so bad at producing strikers that we has to poach Dykes from Australia. 

I can't remember a time where we had so little options up front. Growing up, it was said that we were lacking quality strikers, but players like Durie, McCoist, Gallagher and Jackson would be first picks in this team... maybe even Burchill.

We have two options:

Either try McTominay up front or bring back Steve Naismith. Naismith is still our best striker, in terms of technical ability and intelligence. 

As for Dykes, we keep saying that he's good in the air, but tonight he won 2 out of 15 duels in the air.

There’s plenty other strikers you donut.

That’s not the way it is at all. 

17 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Agreed.

Michael Johnston, too.

People may rate Fraser and/or Forrest, but Johston has more old school trickery in his locker.

I'd include Johnstone in the same bracket as Hickey, Patterson, and Gilmour. Undoubted talent, that will probably have great Scotland careers, but this Euros will probably come too soon for them.

"There's plenty of strikers".

SPL: Nisbet : 11 - Shankland: 7.

EPL: McBurnie: 1.

English Championship: Dykes: 5.

Those are our top 5 strikers. 24 goals between the 5 of them, three quarters into the season.

Which striker is Steve Clarke ignoring? 

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'd include Johnstone in the same bracket as Hickey, Patterson, and Gilmour. Undoubted talent, that will probably have great Scotland careers, but this Euros will probably come too soon for them.

I don't know.

For all we know it take us another 20+ years to get to our next finals.

I'd include all the players you mentioned.

11 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I don't know.

For all we know it take us another 20+ years to get to our next finals.

I'd include all the players you mentioned.

I mean, yes, that is possible. I certainly won't be taking qualifying for granted. But the squad we have is the best we've had this century, and new players, with huge potential, are being added every fortnight. We really should be competing for tournament places every couple of years for the foreseeable.

I've written down a few iterations of a 23 man squad since November, and it is already insanely hard to drop anyone. I don't think any of the aforementioned can fit into that squad, nor merit it, before the Euros.