Oliver McBurnie - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver McBurnie

Taylor1996

Hes no been great for us but id keep having him in the squad, hopefully turn it around. He gets slated about not scoring much but hes playing at a higher level than the others. If he was playing at shanklands/dykes level im confident he would at least match their goal tallys for the season.

24 minutes ago, GraemeTA said:

Hes no been great for us but id keep having him in the squad, hopefully turn it around. He gets slated about not scoring much but hes playing at a higher level than the others. If he was playing at shanklands/dykes level im confident he would at least match their goal tallys for the season.

im of a similar view.  He isn’t good enough but neither are the alternatives.

7 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Shinnie or McCrorie in the final 23? How on earth would you fit them in? 

2 months ago I'd have had Christie and Dykes as untouchable as well. But both player's club form has been erratic and makes their place a bit more precarious. Saying that, if I chose a first 11 now, they'd both be in it.

Well, hopefully the squad will be increased, which has been mooted. I know that McTominay, McGinn and McLean play in the double-pivot position, but only Jack has defensive capabilities. 

True.

11 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Well, hopefully the squad will be increased, which has been mooted. I know that McTominay, McGinn and McLean play in the double-pivot position, but only Jack has defensive capabilities. 

True.

An increased squad would be the sensible thing, and make Clarke's job far easier.

I'd be interested to know what your 23 man squad is. Though this is obviously the wrong thread for that.

McBurnie would make my final 23, with Griffiths and Dykes being the only 2 other strikers.

7 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

An increased squad would be the sensible thing, and make Clarke's job far easier.

I'd be interested to know what your 23 man squad is. Though this is obviously the wrong thread for that.

McBurnie would make my final 23, with Griffiths and Dykes being the only 2 other strikers.

It totally would, on both counts.

I might make a thread in the Euro 2020 area.

Yeah. I think I'd also take three strikers. Definitely Dykes and... yikes... we really dont haven't many choices up front, do we?

Shankland hasn’t had a good season, McBurnie has had a dismal season. McBurnie obviously plays at a higher level, look at transfer fees, wages, whatever you want, but I don’t really care, I only care about what happens when they play for us.

McBurnie has 14 caps, Shankland only has 3, if anyone can genuinely say that they have watched Scotland games, and thinks McBurnie has contributed more than Shankland, then they need to seek mental health care. 

21 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

True.

I know the double-pivot is a recognised thing but Jesus, you sound a right cock when you mention it 🙄

18 hours ago, kumnio said:

Shankland hasn’t had a good season, McBurnie has had a dismal season. McBurnie obviously plays at a higher level, look at transfer fees, wages, whatever you want, but I don’t really care, I only care about what happens when they play for us.

McBurnie has 14 caps, Shankland only has 3, if anyone can genuinely say that they have watched Scotland games, and thinks McBurnie has contributed more than Shankland, then they need to seek mental health care. 

Shankland’s problem this season is playing in a United team that just don’t create. I have absolutely no doubt that had United been playing attacking football this season Shankland would be a shoo-in for the Euro squad. As it stands, none of our forwards are scoring. Hopefully United finish bottom six as playing ‘easier’ teams may give Shankland more chances/goals to get his confidence up. 

Dykes first choice for me (due to what he brings apart from goals), after that, we’re struggling big time. 

3 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Shankland’s problem this season is playing in a United team that just don’t create. I have absolutely no doubt that had United been playing attacking football this season Shankland would be a shoo-in for the Euro squad. As it stands, none of our forwards are scoring. Hopefully United finish bottom six as playing ‘easier’ teams may give Shankland more chances/goals to get his confidence up. 

Dykes first choice for me (due to what he brings apart from goals), after that, we’re struggling big time. 

McBurnie absolutely red raw rubbish today. Out of his depth at this level.

10 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

we would genuinely be better off with Declan McManus than McBurnie in his current form. I hope Clarke picks his squad based on current form and not out of any misplaced loyalty. 

I have to agree, as much as I want to see every Scotland player hitting top form and scoring goals, clean sheets, playing well etc 

McBurnie now no longer starting for Sheffield Utd and well documented what he hasn’t done for Scotland. 
Played 22 games for Sheffield Utd 20/21 Season ( x1 Goal + 0 assists ) 

Palyed 15 times for Scotland ( 0 Goals + not sure on assists?? ) 

2 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

McBurnie absolutely red raw rubbish today. Out of his depth at this level.

Two up votes and a love heart, doubt if any of them watched it. 

You just saw what you wanted to see( that's assuming you watched it). There are no negative comments in the Sheffield United forum match thread regards his performance in fact only positive ones  His stats also suggest he was far from "raw rubbish".

It is all about opinions but the negativity today comes from a so called Scotland supporters board.

I look forward to the confused and puzzled emoji 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You just saw what you wanted to see( that's assuming you watched it). There are no negative comments in the Sheffield United forum match thread regards his performance in fact only positive ones  His stats also suggest he was far from "raw rubbish".

It is all about opinions but the negativity today comes from a so called Scotland supporters board.

The poster stated McBurnie is out of his depth at this level, which is entirely proven.

I think that’s probably what people have agreed with there, which is correct. 

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Never mind all that pish, how did whoscored rate him? 😏

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Ultimately you judge a striker / forward / attacker etc by the amount of goals + assists he gives his Team ! 

Edited by broraboy

33 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Never mind all that pish, how did whoscored rate him? 😏

For the season so far the site reckons he is less out of his depth in the EPL than Dykes is in the Championship but just as out of depth  as Shankland is in the SPL.

Sheffield United, QPR and Dundee United fans probably all agree

Wilder saying some players need to go and be moved on I wonder if mcburnie will be one of them.

He will probably off to a Preston or a Huddersfield next but they would lose loads on him .

However they maybe would take 6 million to get him off the wage bill

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

For the season so far the site reckons he is less out of his depth in the EPL than Dykes is in the Championship but just as out of depth  as Shankland is in the SPL.

Sheffield United, QPR and Dundee United fans probably all agree

What stats does the site take into account given the fact McBurnie has scored 1 and assisted 0 in 20 odd games? 

30 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Wilder saying some players need to go and be moved on I wonder if mcburnie will be one of them.

He will probably off to a Preston or a Huddersfield next but they would lose loads on him .

However they maybe would take 6 million to get him off the wage bill

Wilder needs to go more than any of the players. McBurnie will probably go back to Swansea when they get promoted, play in a proper formation and score 20+ goals

Anyone think Stephen Fletcher could do a better job at 33 as backup for Dykes than McBurnie? He’s an ever present for Stoke and he’s been good at bringing other players into the game in the past for us. We just need someone to hold it up and bring in our more skilful players running from deep. Surely he’s an old pro that could do that job for us? 

2 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Anyone think Stephen Fletcher could do a better job at 33 as backup for Dykes than McBurnie? He’s an ever present for Stoke and he’s been good at bringing other players into the game in the past for us. We just need someone to hold it up and bring in our more skilful players running from deep. Surely he’s an old pro that could do that job for us? 

Everyone thinks Fletcher would be better. 

Given the goals and performances over the course of this season you’d expect Clarke also is aware of this 

4 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Retired from international football if my memory serves me right 

It's worth a call and actually could be a masterstroke to get Steven Fletcher back. We do seem to be forgetting McBurnie's defensive contribution, the Tartan Scarf had some data that showed some great contribution in that area. You can say, aye but attackers job is to score goals - "not only" is what I would say to that. McBurnie is superior to Shankland in that department and....Oli Burke. He will be in the squad, unless Steven Fletcher wanted to come out of international retirement.