Oliver McBurnie - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver McBurnie

Taylor1996

Seems like there's an appetite to discuss McBurnie.

Like it or not, he IS going to feature in future squads for the foreseeable future, as I don't have great faith in Shankland or Nisbet. All we, as fans, can do is give him our backing and try to curb the personal insults directed at him (as you never know who is browsing). Players need confidence and that doesn't always come within, nor does it always come from the manager.

Positive criticism is fine, though.

He might need another season in the Championship. Banging in 20+ goals may be what he needs. Hopefully he improves his all round game, or even parts of it.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Seems like there's an appetite to discuss McBurnie.

Like it or not, he IS going to feature in future squads for the foreseeable future, as I don't have great faith in Shankland or Nisbet. All we, as fans, can do is give him our backing and try to curb the personal insults directed at him (as you never know who is browsing). Players need confidence and that doesn't always come within, nor does it always come from the manager.

Positive criticism is fine, though.

He might need another season in the Championship. Banging in 20+ goals may be what he needs. Hopefully he improves his all round game, or even parts of it.

Yes.He plays for Scotland.That's all I need to know.Funny how every team has one guy that is made the scapegoat.He is committed to Scotland,and has been since school.I can assure you it takes big commitment,and bottle to wear a Scotland shirt to school in Yorkshire.He is more committed to Scotland,than some of the players that have played here .

11 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Yes.He plays for Scotland.That's all I need to know.Funny how every team has one guy that is made the scapegoat.He is committed to Scotland,and has been since school.I can assure you it takes big commitment,and bottle to wear a Scotland shirt to school in Yorkshire.He is more committed to Scotland,than some of the players that have played here .

Very well said.

There's no denying the pride that he has playing for Scotland.

It's time to get off his back and showed him some support.

Also, just shows that football is a game of fractions. In back to back matches he hit the crossbar. Things may have been different if both shots went in.

he is very poor and has an inability to impose himself or hold up the ball. This means that on those occasions he replaces Dykes, we are going to struggle to not only score goals (which is a struggle at the best of times) but are going to also struggle to create chances and in fact, retain overall possession. 

But at least we can all agree that he is committed to play for us, as long as we overlook those times when joining up with the squad was "shite". 

24 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

he is very poor and has an inability to impose himself or hold up the ball. This means that on those occasions he replaces Dykes, we are going to struggle to not only score goals (which is a struggle at the best of times) but are going to also struggle to create chances and in fact, retain overall possession. 

But at least we can all agree that he is committed to play for us, as long as we overlook those times when joining up with the squad was "shite". 

If he thought joining up with the squad was shite,then why did he join up .He doesn't have to.He obviously wants to play for us.With all the abuse he was getting,it would have been much easier to say no.That shows more commitment to the cause,than all the so called star players.I for one am glad to have him as part of the squad.

`He works his socks off in a team that produces very few chances and thus score very few goals. I think his confidence is low and he’s been injured. He is a far better player on his day than anyone out of the SPL. Needs a partner and being a target man is not his usual game. I think some on here pointed that out/

Iv'e been  McBurnies biggest defender on here and there's no arguing that he was a very very good championship striker.

He was also, despite his lack of goals, a vital part of the Sheffield United team that was challenging for a European slot up until lock down in March last year.

Ever since last season resumed Sheffield United have got worse and worse. McBurnies decline in form has played a major part in this so like it or not, he was a very important to the teams earlier success.

His attitude to playing for his club appears to have hit rock bottom with the few supporters he has left in Sheffield saying it is hardly surprising when all he is supplied with are hopeful punts up the park. His body language and effort are a major reason for the current dislike the Sheffield United fans are showing him.

The only part of his game that is still above average for a striker is his ability to help defend set pieces.

Maybe the international set up will rekindle his interest but going by his performances for us so far that is hard to see.

Worst of it is he is probably as good as we have unless Dykes reproduces his Scotland form rather than his QPR form. None of our other strikers fit our current formation and I would sooner see Christie Turnbull or Gauld as the supporting striker than Griffiths, Shankland or Nisbet.

It’s so difficult to compare because our strikers play in different quality of leagues. 

In the premier league if you can score close to 10 goals you are a very good player, especially if you play for a bottom 10 club and if you’re primary job is to hold the ball up. 

Realistically McBurnie would be looking at a target of 8 goals. Obviously he’s miles off that but he’s been injured and Sheffield United have generally been poor. 

He’s had a poor season but it doesn’t make him a terrible player. His Championship goal scoring record is very good, he’s not lost that ability.

He’s not looked great for Scotland either but he’s had few starts and cameo appearances. He’s also hit the woodwork 3(?) times for Scotland. 

I think he sneaks into the squad. But only because our other strikers are also having poor seasons. Would love for Shankland to be on for 20 goals or Nisbet to have continued his form this year. 

3 hours ago, sandyb said:

`He works his socks off in a team that produces very few chances and thus score very few goals. I think his confidence is low and he’s been injured. He is a far better player on his day than anyone out of the SPL. Needs a partner and being a target man is not his usual game. I think some on here pointed that out/

Sheffield United play 2 up front all the time, they are 352. 

He’s as shite in a 2 as he is in a 1, mainly because he’s utter shite.

He might appear shite to you (and me) but I’m not buying it that amateur watchers are better gauges of talent than numerous experienced managers. The guy must have something (although over 20 goals 2 seasons ago seems a bit freakish now). But for a few inches he’d have 2 or 3 for Scotland now, and nobody would be questioning anything...... apart from ‘how the hell did he score 2/3’.

10 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

But for a few inches he’d have 2 or 3 for Scotland now, and nobody would be questioning anything...... apart from ‘how the hell did he score 2/3’.

But he didn’t score, if your aunts had baws and all that. 

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Iv'e been  McBurnies biggest defender on here and there's no arguing that he was a very very good championship striker.

He was also, despite his lack of goals, a vital part of the Sheffield United team that was challenging for a European slot up until lock down in March last year.

Ever since last season resumed Sheffield United have got worse and worse. McBurnies decline in form has played a major part in this so like it or not, he was a very important to the teams earlier success.

His attitude to playing for his club appears to have hit rock bottom with the few supporters he has left in Sheffield saying it is hardly surprising when all he is supplied with are hopeful punts up the park. His body language and effort are a major reason for the current dislike the Sheffield United fans are showing him.

The only part of his game that is still above average for a striker is his ability to help defend set pieces.

Maybe the international set up will rekindle his interest but going by his performances for us so far that is hard to see.

Worst of it is he is probably as good as we have unless Dykes reproduces his Scotland form rather than his QPR form. None of our other strikers fit our current formation and I would sooner see Christie Turnbull or Gauld as the supporting striker than Griffiths, Shankland or Nisbet

Well summed up. Due to our current lack of quality alternatives we have to keep McBurnie in the squad. Start him as the main man against San Marino & see if he can break his duck, a goal against them might just be the catalyst for a run of form not many on here would think he is capable of. 

Totally agree with your support striker choices. Whoever is on better form between Christie, Fraser & Turnbull should start. I've not seen enough of Gauld to pass true judgement but from what I've read support striker suits him & he is certainly a better shout than any of our potential strikers. 

Edited by theabsentee

10 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Well summed up. Due to our current lack of quality alternatives we have to keep McBurnie in the squad. Start him as the main man against San Marino & see if he can break his duck, a goal against them might just be the catalyst for a run of form not many on here would think he is capable of. 

Totally agree with your support striker choices. Whoever is on better form between Christie, Fraser & Turnbull should start. I've not seen enough of Gauld to pass true judgement but from what I've read support striker suits him & he is certainly a better shout than any of our potential strikers.          

I don't think Turnbull or Gauld would play the second striker role. They'd be more likely to play the current McGinn role, who may be moved further back, where he plays for Villa. 

The reason I know McBurnie will be in the squad is because he is the only player that can do a similar job to Dykes in our system. If Dykes gets injured/sent off/knackered then we'd have to completely reshape the team. Which I'm not against doing, but I think Clarke would be. 

It'll be Dykes ( starting 11 ), McBurnie ( Dykes' backup ) and Griffiths ( plan B ) as our striking options. I don't think any other strikers will make the final 23. 

Edited by Tartan blood

11 hours ago, theabsentee said:

When are we playing San Marino..

20 hours ago, thesaint said:

If he thought joining up with the squad was shite,then why did he join up .He doesn't have to.He obviously wants to play for us.With all the abuse he was getting,it would have been much easier to say no.That shows more commitment to the cause,than all the so called star players.I for one am glad to have him as part of the squad.

if he thought joining up with the squad was not shite, why did he say it was shite? Just answer that instead of tying yourself up in knots.  

I don’t think he can replace Dykes, and play the same system, we have tried that, and it’s failed. 

I don’t think anybody has irrational dislikes of people, especially ones that they’ve never met. People don’t rate him because he has about 15 caps now, and has looked no where near good enough. 

Even Shankland scored a goal, when he was playing Championship fitba at the time.

When it comes to international fitba, forget the price tag, forger the Sky hyperbolic pish, and look at the performances wearing a Scotland shirt. The guys useless for us. 

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

if he thought joining up with the squad was not shite, why did he say it was shite? Just answer that instead of tying yourself up in knots.  

It was said in jest.

Everyone has said something, at one time or another, that was disingenuous in nature. But not everyone gets caught saying it.

He signed for Sheffield United on the 2nd August 2019 and he made the comments on the 28th August. Who hasn't tried to show bravado in front of strangers and new colleagues?

He was 22 at the time. Besides, if he truly meant what he said, there's no way he'd have 31 caps for Scotland. (U19s, U21s and seniors)

There's lots of stick available to beat Oliver McBurnie with, lack of passion and commitment towards Scotland isn't one of them. I still have recorded on TiVo the Summer tour of South America, when McLeish was in charge. McBurnie was one of the few established names to travel.

McBurnie's problem is that he plays for two teams that don't have wide players. Both play a version of 3-5-2

He needs crosses into the box that he can attack. He is not suited to intricate build up play through the midfield 

Even when Scotland have played with two wide players - e.g. Cyprus away - they both cut back inside onto their stronger foot.