World Cup 2030 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup 2030

Diamond Scot

The more u think about this bid for the world Cup the more I don't think its a good idea. It will become political whether people like it or not and I'd rather England went it alone for this. 

13 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The more u think about this bid for the world Cup the more I don't think its a good idea. It will become political whether people like it or not and I'd rather England went it alone for this. 

Well, best case scenario Scotland (and maybe Wales) will be independent before then.

It would be more of a political football if it was a nearer World Cup. 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Makes sense I suppose as in its bloated new format there is unlikely to be a queue to host it and makes about the same in terms of returns from what they're saying.  

Even getting a sniff of competition on a WC bid is bound put the shitters up them as they'll not want to spunk a fortune up the wall again.  

On 3/2/2021 at 12:35 PM, Diamond Scot said:

I can understand a joint UK bid but why are ROI included?

Seperate government, not associated in any way politically and adds another team for automatic qualification which in my view weakens the chances of success.

Its not like they are required in terms of citys or stadiums etc.

Am I missing something?

Not a chance, we need to stay well away from this. For how the world/workd fitba will see it it will be the "british" world cup bid... and Ireland. Not interested, don't want it, not interested in entertaining ANY "brit" pish. Saying that I can't see it happening anyway as I doubt FIFA would touch anything to do with England after their "behaviour" last year. the ONLY way I'd go for it is if we were independent and if we were then I'd be looking to do it a different way.

Same argument as usual, stay away from ANYTHING smelling of "brit". 

On 1/6/2022 at 2:17 PM, Toepoke said:

Focus seems to be moving to Euro 2028 now. Less of a wait I suppose...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/05/uk-and-ireland-may-favour-2028-euros-bid-over-2030-world-cup

The first sentence of that piece looks odd to me:

Uefa would welcome a bid for the 2028 European Championship from the UK and Republic of Ireland ...

It reads as though UEFA would welcome a 'joint bid' from the football associations of two countries: 1) The UK (?) 2) The Republic of Ireland

Maybe i'm reading it wrong?

Can see the opposition to anything  "British".

however if the semis and final, were at Cardiff, Dublin and Hampden, and England only got a few group games at Old Trafford, Anfield and Villa Park, then I would be happy.

After the carry on last year, keep it well away from Wembley and London..

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

Not a chance, we need to stay well away from this. For how the world/workd fitba will see it it will be the "british" world cup bid... and Ireland. Not interested, don't want it, not interested in entertaining ANY "brit" pish. Saying that I can't see it happening anyway as I doubt FIFA would touch anything to do with England after their "behaviour" last year. the ONLY way I'd go for it is if we were independent and if we were then I'd be looking to do it a different way.

Agreed. There is no way we'll get even a fraction of the recognition that England will get throughout. Would there even be a discussion as to where the final will be? Nope.  Wembley would be pre-chosen.

I don't really know why England even want to share it. Surely they have ample stadiums to deal with a tournament. Maybe it would be a flat out rejection if there wasn't the Scottish, Welsh, NI and Irish charm thrown into the mix.

2 hours ago, saintsparky said:

Can see the opposition to anything  "British".

however if the semis and final, were at Cardiff, Dublin and Hampden, and England only got a few group games at Old Trafford, Anfield and Villa Park, then I would be happy.

After the carry on last year, keep it well away from Wembley and London..

Will never happen, remember "England expects"? nothing will be any different here, if not expect they will DEMAND. Not interested in being a part of the "britain is England show", fk that. There is no "british" in fitba. 

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

Will never happen, remember "England expects"? nothing will be any different here, if not expect they will DEMAND. Not interested in being a part of the "britain is England show", fk that. There is no "british" in fitba. 

After reading your post, this song popped into my head:

The compere's "..lad from Wales.." intro says everything. (That said, it's an annoyingly catchy song 😀)

18 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Bang on!  The UK has more chance of winning Eurovision than hosting a major football tournament any time soon after the way the Orcs acted during the final last year.

It would be a defacto England hosted tournament as soon as it kicked off anyway with the rest of us barely receiving a mention.

Also, watch the Better Together mob start to circle this as soon as Indy Ref 2 comes around!  "Vote no or you'll lose Euro 2028"!!  Aye whatever!

Hard to get really excited about this.

England could host it on their own, and only roping the rest of us together due to political pressure, and a PR stunt in hope that UEFA will not punish the other 4 nations (with the sob story of Dublin being stripped of 2020 games) because of what happened at the Euro final.

It will be one stadium from everyone except England, so imagine the tournament will resemble something like this...

Wembley + Spurs/West Ham (FIFA allowed 2 stadiums in Moscow at WC2018, so they will use this as a reason)

Hampden + St James Park

Anfield + Old Trafford

Aviva + Windsor Park

Cardiff City Stadium + Villa Park

They will avoid going to non-football grounds, and only Windsor Park needs work on it to reach the minimum 30k capacity (and even then I do feel they will try find a way to shaft the Northern Irish and link up the Aviva with Anfield, and try add a 3rd London stadium into the mix)

I doubt much money will be made available for redevelopment of Hampden.

Edited by wanderer

The final will be at Wembley.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is not really thinking this thru 

Imo.. roughly

Semi will be avivva +Hampden/ millennium

8 groups of 4. Countries? ? ,?

We will get a group, based in Scotland as will Wales and Ireland(both)

England will host 4-5 groups

1 London based

I Manchester based.( With Bolton eyc,)

1, Liverpool based( Blackburn/ Leeds) 

1 Newcastle/ Sunderland etc

1 birmingham based 

Scotland,wales and Ireland ( both) will get round of 16 and a quarter England will also host a quarter and a couple of r.o.16.

but final will be Wembley..100%

53 minutes ago, stocky said:

The final will be at Wembley.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is not really thinking this thru 

Imo.. roughly

Semi will be avivva +Hampden/ millennium

8 groups of 4. Countries? ? ,?

We will get a group, based in Scotland as will Wales and Ireland(both)

England will host 4-5 groups

1 London based

I Manchester based.( With Bolton eyc,)

1, Liverpool based( Blackburn/ Leeds) 

1 Newcastle/ Sunderland etc

1 birmingham based 

Scotland,wales and Ireland ( both) will get round of 16 and a quarter England will also host a quarter and a couple of r.o.16.

but final will be Wembley..100%

Which is exactly why we and the SFA should be telling them to ram it. Not interested in the slightest, sadly the $FA will be.