World Cup 2030 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup 2030

Diamond Scot

I can understand a joint UK bid but why are ROI included?

Seperate government, not associated in any way politically and adds another team for automatic qualification which in my view weakens the chances of success.

Its not like they are required in terms of citys or stadiums etc.

Am I missing something?

It’s already upto 3 hosts for 2026 I think Mex, USA , Can. With I believe 48 teams? Who knows what this decade will bring . 
for Johnson’s mob to be backing this with the mighty sum of a couple millions £ just confirming it’s a lovely gesture from the UK Government to all the parts of our Union and nearest neighbour. Which is nice

Edited by Shaundy

FIFA will not allow 5 teams to qualify automatically.

Also its hardly a "joint bid" as it will be mostly English stadiums, with Hampden being used in a group with St James Park as the second stadium (to use Edinburgh would mean having to bring on board the SRU to get Murrayfield)... Windsor Park and the Aviva making up another group, and the Millennium being used from Wales and tied with Bristol or Birmingham to make up a group. 

Honestly think its smoke and mirrors for the moment from Westminster, as FIFA have been heavily pointing that a joint Uruguay and Argentina bid would be their preferred option, as its the centenary World Cup.

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Also its hardly a "joint bid" as it will be mostly English stadiums, with Hampden being used in a group with St James Park as the second stadium (to use Edinburgh would mean having to bring on board the SRU to get Murrayfield)... Windsor Park and the Aviva making up another group, and the Millennium being used from Wales and tied with Bristol or Birmingham to make up a group. 

Honestly think its smoke and mirrors for the moment from Westminster, as FIFA have been heavily pointing that a joint Uruguay and Argentina bid would be their preferred option, as its the centenary World Cup.

Its a joint bid in terms of the bidding process though. Regardless of the overall make up of stadiums.

I just cant see the sense in bring ROI into the fold unless their gov was adding a significant amount of funding.

You could just about stretch FIFA to 4 teams auto qualifying on the basis that its almost impossible for Scotland, NI and Wales to ever bid for something themselves and even a joint bid between those 3 wouldnt fit the criteria.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its a joint bid in terms of the bidding process though. Regardless of the overall make up of stadiums.

I just cant see the sense in bring ROI into the fold unless their gov was adding a significant amount of funding.

You could just about stretch FIFA to 4 teams auto qualifying on the basis that its almost impossible for Scotland, NI and Wales to ever bid for something themselves and even a joint bid between those 3 wouldnt fit the criteria.

Scotland, Wales, NI and RoI have been talking for Years about a Celtic Euro bit (which I think would have more chance), and for a World Cup England do not really need 3/4 Extra stadiums (as Windsor Park would need more work done to it).

I suspect its more a political play to keep us all in our Union together, but the fall back with the Republic being there that they can offer the Aviva and maybe Croke Park if they can get the GAA on board while NI tag along until they have severed their use in the bid.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I can understand a joint UK bid but why are ROI included?

Seperate government, not associated in any way politically and adds another team for automatic qualification which in my view weakens the chances of success.

Its not like they are required in terms of citys or stadiums etc.

Am I missing something?

ROI is no different from any of the other nations mentioned in this context. Grouping the other four under one government is ill-advised.

I think it's s good idea. 

Hopefully Ireland will be united by then and Scotlland independant  meaning a British isles bid with 4 teams qualifying.

I think it's great forward thinking, show the world in 2030 the new reality of the British isles.

Aviva, parkhead/Ibrox, Hampden and Cardiff stadium. 

Wee'er embra stadia could be used for wee'er teams ..

I'm all for the joint bid. . 

Edited by Archiesdad

23 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

ROI is no different from any of the other nations mentioned in this context. Grouping the other four under one government is ill-advised.

It is one government though as the 4 UK nations have a government in London. ROI is a completely different country, politically unconnected in anyway.

The UK nations would have enough cities and stadiums to host the world cup on there own. Just dont see the need to bring ROI into the fold when it cases extra hurdles to overcome in terms of teams qualifying.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

I’d rather they hosted it anywhere but here.

Isn’t the South American bid by 4 hosts, Chile, Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay, that would be a great one to qualify for. 

Or Maybe there are shenanigans at foot. 🤔

Have a joint UK team, Team GB and Ireland meaning only 2 teams qualifing automatiocally.

The new Post Brexit Union

No Scotlnad.England Wales or NI.. Only Team GEE BEE  

I can see many wetting themselves at that,,,,

26 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I’d rather they hosted it anywhere but here.

Isn’t the South American bid by 4 hosts, Chile, Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay, that would be a great one to qualify for. 

I think Uruguay and Argentina have been pretty reluctant to actually bid for it (due to the costs that Brazil had to take on when they hosted it) and have moved forward on it with Chile and Paraguay coming on board last year.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

No way that 5 places are going to be made available for hosts.  Maybe have a five way tournament between us to have one host qualifying but that would probably mean England.

Aren't you forgetting that the number of teams will be increased by 2030? It would be grossly unfair if all teams hosting did not have automatic entry to the finals.

From a personal POV, I don’t think there should be more than two automatic host qualifiers. The likes of Japan and South Korea is perfectly acceptable. 

Having 5 British Isles teams qualify would be taking the piss. 

Would be good for us, and I would obviously go to games, but I’d still disagree with it. Over the last 20 years, only England are regulars, for the rest of us to get a bye is a bit too much for me. 

3 minutes ago, kumnio said:

From a personal POV, I don’t think there should be more than two automatic host qualifiers. The likes of Japan and South Korea is perfectly acceptable. 

Having 5 British Isles teams qualify would be taking the piss. 

Would be good for us, and I would obviously go to games, but I’d still disagree with it. Over the last 20 years, only England are regulars, for the rest of us to get a bye is a bit too much for me. 

Even using the Mexico-States-Canada WC as an example, if you take the States and Mexico out of the qualifiers, chances are Canada would probably qualify under their own steam, as the teams that usually take up 2 of the 3(?) spots for North America have already qualified as hosts.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

It is one government though as the 4 UK nations have a government in London. ROI is a completely different country, politically unconnected in anyway.

The UK nations would have enough cities and stadiums to host the world cup on there own. Just dont see the need to bring ROI into the fold when it cases extra hurdles to overcome in terms of teams qualifying.

With ROU it is five separate football associations. The UK angle should be ignored or vultures will circle. 

As a wee aside they were talking about this bid on radio 2 this morning. "In 2030 Frank skinner will be 72, David baddiel will be 65 and Iain Broudie will be 71. What chance of them re-releasing three lions?" Aye fuqin right 😂

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Even using the Mexico-States-Canada WC as an example, if you take the States and Mexico out of the qualifiers, chances are Canada would probably qualify under their own steam, as the teams that usually take up 2 of the 3(?) spots for North America have already qualified as hosts.

You’d think so, it would be ridiculous if those three had spots plus say another 2 from that region. 

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

Canada are currently ranked 7th in CONCACAF by FIFA.

22 hours ago, Shaundy said:

It’s already upto 3 hosts for 2026 I think Mex, USA , Can. With I believe 48 teams? Who knows what this decade will bring . 

There was talk of increasing it to a 64 team World Cup which would certainly be more favourable towards having 4 or 5 automatic places for host nations. 

20 hours ago, stocky said:

Or Maybe there are shenanigans at foot. 🤔

Have a joint UK team, Team GB and Ireland meaning only 2 teams qualifing automatiocally.

The new Post Brexit Union

No Scotlnad.England Wales or NI.. Only Team GEE BEE  

I can see many wetting themselves at that,,,,

This was my fear when I saw the news story. If Mr Blobby is throwing around the suggestion of a GB team as part of his "save the Union" shiiite, then there will be plenty of interested ears in Africa and Asia.

Only one way to put a complete stop to that my friends. 

7 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

This was my fear when I saw the news story. If Mr Blobby is throwing around the suggestion of a GB team as part of his "save the Union" shiiite, then there will be plenty of interested ears in Africa and Asia.

Only one way to put a complete stop to that my friends. 

that crossed my mind....   team gb for this tournament 

On 3/2/2021 at 2:41 PM, Archiesdad said:

I think it's s good idea. 

Hopefully Ireland will be united by then and Scotlland independant  meaning a British isles bid with 4 teams qualifying.

I think it's great forward thinking, show the world in 2030 the new reality of the British isles.

Aviva, parkhead/Ibrox, Hampden and Cardiff stadium. 

Wee'er embra stadia could be used for wee'er teams ..

I'm all for the joint bid. . 

You've got more chance of becoming prime minister than  you have ireland being united in the near future.