Coaching - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who’s involved then? I’ve just finished my 1.3 badge, being doing it about 18 months or so now, really enjoying seeing the boys progress, unfortunately their stint in 11’s has been rather slow for obvious reasons. 

What’s everyone doing to keep them going? We’ve currently got 3 x zoom fitness sessions a week, try amd get them to do a 5k (recorded on Strava) as the wee duckers can’t be trusted and set them a weekly skills challenge to do in the garden. 

Hoping to get them back training in the next few weeks, but matches still look a wee bit away 😡

Did it for four years with Edinburgh City youths. Loved it, especially the Saturday morning sessions. All coaches were encouraged to go on the SFA courses, so I did the Early Touches 1:1.
Hardly implemented any of the things they taught us in my sessions - all pre-planned nonsense involving cones, zones, ladders etc. Everything a game of fitba isn’t, in my opinion. 
I happily stood aside and let others take over (my shift pattern meant I couldn’t commit 100% anyway). 

When I take my laddie for our own sessions the first 30 mins is just me pinging balls at him and him having to control them using both feet then pinging them back. If you’ve got a good first touch as a laddie you’re halfway there. 

Every single player the SFA has churned out over the last 30 years is exactly the same. No individuality, hardly and skills to take people on, it’s all pass pass pass possession stuff. All churned out by the same guys who take those classes. Faddy has been the only player in that time who played off the cuff. 

Yeah, the courses are a bit meh at times, real football never works out like they do on these things. I feel we’re past the stage of making sure everyone gets a game and it’s all a bit of fun. 11 a side has trophies available, so the strongest team has to play, but maybe I’m old fashioned in that approach 😂

12 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Yeah, the courses are a bit meh at times, real football never works out like they do on these things. I feel we’re past the stage of making sure everyone gets a game and it’s all a bit of fun. 11 a side has trophies available, so the strongest team has to play, but maybe I’m old fashioned in that approach 😂

Aye, that “equal time for all” nonsense really done my tits in. 
We’ve got a wee lad, if you asked him to pass the ball he’ll give it a wee daft half-hearted toe poke towards you. He’s been with us for THREE years ffs and he can’t even make a simple, basic pass. No matter how many times we tell him, he just won’t do it. But he’s there every week, always on time and in the right training gear, never misses a session and is a nice wee lad. He’ll just never be a player at any level. All he’s doing (and others like him) is hold back the better players for the first couple of years. 
Now we’re into 7’s and it’s split into Pelé/Maradona/Zidane etc it’s much better 👍🏼

I’ve been helping out at my daughter’s football as a parent helper and really enjoyed it. They’re only six so it’s more about enjoyment and the very basics at this stage but it’s good to see them progress over time.

I’d consider some coaching courses but want to see if she’ll stick at it before making the commitment.

9 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Aye, that “equal time for all” nonsense really done my tits in. 
We’ve got a wee lad, if you asked him to pass the ball he’ll give it a wee daft half-hearted toe poke towards you. He’s been with us for THREE years ffs and he can’t even make a simple, basic pass. No matter how many times we tell him, he just won’t do it. But he’s there every week, always on time and in the right training gear, never misses a session and is a nice wee lad. He’ll just never be a player at any level. All he’s doing (and others like him) is hold back the better players for the first couple of years. 
Now we’re into 7’s and it’s split into Pelé/Maradona/Zidane etc it’s much better 👍🏼

Don’t even get me started on how we’re not allowed to teach them to head a ball in training and rolling subs for 11 a side fitba 😂

8 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Don’t even get me started on how we’re not allowed to teach them to head a ball in training and rolling subs for 11 a side fitba 😂

I’m ok with the non-heading thing at an early age as the ball should be on the deck anyway. 
“That’s why the ball is round - it’s supposed to roll!”. Lost count how many times I’d say that after a big hoof up the pitch. 

Must be awful thing to do. Don't know what age you are. 

We were get stuck in, which was totally wrong. Win or else. 

Now its here's a trophy you turned up for training regularly. 

As like everything it's went too far. No common sense middle ground. 

Hats off to you for doing it tho 👍

19 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

It’s a great thing to do, 2008’s or under 13’s in old money  

Not allowed that approach anymore ❄️

We’ve binned that now, player of the year, players player & top scorer only

Correct

24 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

I’m ok with the non-heading thing at an early age as the ball should be on the deck anyway. 
“That’s why the ball is round - it’s supposed to roll!”. Lost count how many times I’d say that after a big hoof up the pitch. 

I see that, but coming into 11’s, the ball travels in several directions, long, short, high & low. 

We’re now defending corners and kids don’t know how to head a ball safely (as per guidelines) 😉, that will do more harm than good when they get a ball off the face and break their nose imo. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

I see that, but coming into 11’s, the ball travels in several directions, long, short, high & low. 

We’re now defending corners and kids don’t know how to head a ball safely (as per guidelines) 😉, that will do more harm than good when they get a ball off the face and break their nose imo. 

Of course, 11s is totally different from Fun 4s, Super 5s and 7s. 

26 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

It’s not about winning now. It’s all about turning up, having fun and getting medals whatever. Totally wrong in my opinion. Yes, of course it needs to be fun and enjoyable, but for me, a winning mentality starts at the beginning. 

Another thing that used to annoy me -

We had two T-shirts each week that would be handed out to Trainer of the Week. White T-shirt, printed in black ‘Best Trainer’. The other coaches had a spreadsheet of who had taken it home each week, so that they made sure that every lad had a turn of taking it home. Now, I know they thought it would be a confidence booster to them, but to me that’s all wrong. Whoever is Best Trainer takes home the tshirt, even if the same lad takes it home seven weeks consecutively.
You want to be best trainer? Then earn it. 

5 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Another thing that used to annoy me -

We had two T-shirts each week that would be handed out to Trainer of the Week. White T-shirt, printed in black ‘Best Trainer’. The other coaches had a spreadsheet of who had taken it home each week, so that they made sure that every lad had a turn of taking it home. Now, I know they thought it would be a confidence booster to them, but to me that’s all wrong. Whoever is Best Trainer takes home the tshirt, even if the same lad takes it home seven weeks consecutively.
You want to be best trainer? Then earn it. 

We had a man of the match trophy, Matty took it 3 weeks in a row and there was grumbles because he was my loon. I didn’t even pick him because I’m harder on him than anyone else 😂

A wee thing I used to do. At the end of each session as the parents arrive and help get their training tops, water bottles and stuff, as the coaches were collecting the cones and bibs, just as a kid was about to leave, I’d shout him back over. He’d run over, no-one could hear us, just me and the laddie. I’d tell him he was absolutely outstanding today, his attitude was spot on and he’s improving every week. Didn’t matter if it was true or not, he’d bound back over to his mum or dad dead proud. He’d then tell the parent and they’d get a buzz too, and so would I to be honest knowing I’d make their day. Next session I’d give him a wee tap on the shoulder and say “Same again as last week ok?” as his confidence was up all week. 

They’ll no teach those wee tricks at an SFA course though. 

Edited by McTeeko

1 hour ago, Debian said:

I've 1.3 myself, needed it to assist with my Clubs SFA License - have been looking at going down the C route at some point this year.

That was discussed on Saturday, but I’m not sure if I can handle a week in front of a computer to do a course. If we can get back out to play, that may be a different story, but I dunno if my body could handle it 😂😂

18 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

What club are you with?

It's no a big hitter.

18 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

That was discussed on Saturday, but I’m not sure if I can handle a week in front of a computer to do a course. If we can get back out to play, that may be a different story, but I dunno if my body could handle it 😂😂

Yeah, the computer side of things is shite and you'll just end up with a load of nerds with C badges.

Debian, do you feel the courses were worthwhile? Will the drills you were shown be something you’d take forward and use in sessions or did you only do them as you had to?

I made the point on here a couple of weeks ago about Neymar being fantastic to watch. Just the way he moves, his freedom, skills, enjoyment of how he plays. 
Then I picture him coming through the SFA pathway.......he’d be a bog standard midfielder who always played the easy pass, sideways. Any true ability our kids have is kicked out them at a young age I feel. Even Billy Gilmour who loads are pinning their hopes on, granted I’ve only seen him twice live in the U21s, and although he was technically excellent it was all centre circle stuff with no penetration or drive (I’m going back a couple of years ago, he may have added that to his game now).

Edited by McTeeko

I've got my 1.2 but don't coach anymore, my laddie didn't like me taking him and I'm not giving up my time to do it for other people's kids.

Done my first course in 2009 and stopped coaching around 2016.

I'll tell you one thing, you don't need to look very hard to find a prick involved in youth football.

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Debian, do you feel the courses were worthwhile? Will the drills you were shown be something you’d take forward and use in sessions or did you only do them as you had to?

I made the point on here a couple of weeks ago about Neymar being fantastic to watch. Just the way he moves, his freedom, skills, enjoyment of how he plays. 
Then I picture him coming through the SFA pathway.......he’d be a bog standard midfielder who always played the easy pass, sideways. Any true ability our kids have is kicked out them at a young age I feel. Even Billy Gilmour who loads are pinning their hopes on, granted I’ve only seen him twice live in the U21s, and although he was technically excellent it was all centre circle stuff with no penetration or drive (I’m going back a couple of years ago, he may have added that to his game now).

Honestly, for myself not really.  I don't have a lot of interest in the coaching side of things and find it an incredibly easy course to do; it was a necessary tick the box exercise.  I don't doubt though it will help a lot of people and the guys who took our courses were very good and enthusiastic - I was lucky in that we had a 'guest' appearance at on of our sessions from Neil McCann and honestly his attention to detail was second to none.  He'll be a very good coach one day.

You're right though, Neymar would like have been pushed out and there is still an reliance of focus on being the biggest and the strongest albeit in the last 2-3 years I have noticed with others coming through there is a small shift in focus; our youth sides are very much focused on pass and move, triangles and creating space.  Senior level it goes to bollocks.

Is Largs still going?  SFA coaching badges mean nothing to me.  You have either got it or you haven't.  It's like the guys who I know from school who wear BB badges on their blazer.  Can someone answer me this?  Did Shankly, Stein, Wallace or Ferguson have a 1.3 badge?  Whatever that is.  Andy Roxburgh probably did when he coached his team to go out and play for a zero zero.