Coaching - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

22 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

He had to send off the opposition manager after he was called a cheat. It was an interclub friendly and about the 4th time the kids had played at 11 a side. Had to abandon it in the 2nd half when we went about 4 or 5-1 up 😂😂

ahh yes ...friendlys..

I am a referee now, I must say that I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would.

Still has its moments, like when I was in the middle of a 20 player brawl at the end of an u16 game trying to break it up. Or when the coach from a lowland league team is shouting about a decision in an u17 game and when you offer to show him the laws of the game he tells you he doesn't care. 😂

4 hours ago, Davied14 said:

I am a referee now, I must say that I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would.

Still has its moments, like when I was in the middle of a 20 player brawl at the end of an u16 game trying to break it up. Or when the coach from a lowland league team is shouting about a decision in an u17 game and when you offer to show him the laws of the game he tells you he doesn't care. 😂

Hat off to you.  My thoughts on a refs position is that if you can relate and have a bit of a sense of humour then the players will respond back.  The likes of Willie Colum etc just look and act a is if they were a horse in the huff.  Football is in the entertainment game.  Refs should be taught that too at Police Academy.  

6 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Hat off to you.  My thoughts on a refs position is that if you can relate and have a bit of a sense of humour then the players will respond back.  The likes of Willie Colum etc just look and act a is if they were a horse in the huff.  Football is in the entertainment game.  Refs should be taught that too at Police Academy.  

I disagree, you can try and be friendly with players but the minute you give a decision the players don't like, the toys come out of the pram.

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I disagree, you can try and be friendly with players but the minute you give a decision the players don't like, the toys come out of the pram.

Every player can be like that though.  But if a good ref can get respect and have a banter then the toys wouldn't come out the pram as much.  When I taught Leadership and Management at the college years ago I sometimes used to put music on as the students came in.  Banarama and the Fun Boy 3.  It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it, ain't what you say it's the way that you say it.  Always believed that.  And that's what gets results as a Leader or a referee IMO.

49 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Every player can be like that though.  But if a good ref can get respect and have a banter then the toys wouldn't come out the pram as much.  When I taught Leadership and Management at the college years ago I sometimes used to put music on as the students came in.  Banarama and the Fun Boy 3.  It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it, ain't what you say it's the way that you say it.  Always believed that.  And that's what gets results as a Leader or a referee IMO.

I played football long enough to know a ref can be your best mate on the park or an authoriatiran prick, players will always act fannies.

21 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I played football long enough to know a ref can be your best mate on the park or an authoriatiran prick, players will always act fannies.

Of course players do.  It is called a will to win VA.  But a decent ref can create a rapport with players.  I knew a few refs when I played and always had that with them.  But you are right.  I am not trying to pick one but Willie Colum just looks like he hates every player on the park.  We have a ref down here who I get for our school team games and he is brilliant with the laddies from both teams.  Just makes a difference.

Just now, Rolling hIlls said:

Of course players do.  It is called a will to win VA.  But a decent ref can create a rapport with players.  I knew a few refs when I played and always had that with them.  But you are right.  I am not trying to pick one but Willie Colum just looks like he hates every player on the park.  We have a ref down here who I get for our school team games and he is brilliant with the laddies from both teams.  Just makes a difference.

Acting like a moron or 2 year old child on a park isn't a will to win.🤣

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Acting like a moron or 2 year old child on a park isn't a will to win.🤣

You look at Scott Brown.  Is he a moron or a will to win?  People will always be divided on that question.  I go for the latter.  He is getting on now but I watched the game on Saturday and he ran the show IMO.  He still has that will to win.  But listen.  That is what football, the game we love is all about.  Debating about things after the game about who was pish, if it was a penalty etc etc.  I miss that on a Saturday night nowadays a I sure you and most guys do.

• 1 month later...

Fitba is back tomorrow night, just a pity that Aberdeen City Council havent found the time in the last 8 mo the to actually line a fucking pitch in the whole city 😡😡

Goalie debut for my loon tomorrow though, start of a new era from CH to GK. 

485403B9-70A7-4E21-8AC4-184F903882D9.jpeg

68F89F20-FF87-4EFB-9470-95B10443F4C1.jpeg

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Fitba is back tomorrow night, just a pity that Aberdeen City Council havent found the time in the last 8 mo the to actually line a fucking pitch in the whole city 😡😡

Goalie debut for my loon tomorrow though, start of a new era from CH to GK. 

485403B9-70A7-4E21-8AC4-184F903882D9.jpeg

68F89F20-FF87-4EFB-9470-95B10443F4C1.jpeg

Good luck to your son DD.  I love coaching the school team and getting game time for them.  Not had a game since last year and the kids, like all kids like nothing better than a game.

14 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

Best of luck to your lad. :ok:

142 days since I last refereed a game and I'm back out tonight. I'm probably more excited than the kids. :lol:

My cap is doffed.  Don't get me wrong we have a local referee down here for the schools and he makes it seem like a breeze.  Fair to both teams and doesn't get flustered.  You look at the look on Willie Colums face.  He has an addiction to his pocket instead of having a quiet word to the player first.

35 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

Best of luck to your lad. :ok:

142 days since I last refereed a game and I'm back out tonight. I'm probably more excited than the kids. :lol:

Aye, it’s been a long time coming. Kids are buzzing, match tonight, Wednesday, training Thursday and a match Sunday. 

They won’t know what’s hit them 😂