Coaching - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Davie14 - absolutely spot on about no looking far to find a prick. An all too common occurrence 😏

You definitely don't have to look far to find a prick. Just look at the post above yours 😜

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You definitely don't have to look far to find a prick. Just look at the post above yours 😜

😆

He’s right about the Largs Mafia though. Jim McInally never sat a course in his puff and was being forced to take his badges. That was a few years ago, no idea if he ever DID take them. Hope no 👍🏼

7 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

😆

He’s right about the Largs Mafia though. Jim McInally never sat a course in his puff and was being forced to take his badges. That was a few years ago, no idea if he ever DID take them. Hope no 👍🏼

Did Jim Mclean have a 1.3 Largs coaching badge on   his Blazer? S.  cotland have never qualified for a tournament since 1998 ? So lim Mclean then McTeeko?  He must at least have been a 1.4 at Largs.  A total waste or money and see where it has got us as a football country.  But never mind.  Henry McLeish will be asked to have another enquiry in to the state of Scottish Football.  A good 3 year stint with fuck alll at the end of it which we didn't know in the first place.  Largs?

1 minute ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Did Jim Mclean have a 1.3 Largs coaching badge on   his Blazer? S.  cotland have never qualified for a tournament since 1998 ? So lim Mclean then McTeeko?  He must at least have been a 1.4 at Largs.  A total waste or money and see where it has got us as a football country.  But never mind.  Henry McLeish will be asked to have another enquiry in to the state of Scottish Football.  A good 3 year stint with fuck alll at the end of it which we didn't know in the first place.  Largs?

I know where Jim McLean would have told Largs to put their badges.

13 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I know where Jim McLean would have told Largs to put their badges.

I’m on full agreement with you here, but McLean DID do a Largs course, along with Fergie. It was at one of those courses where Fergie and McLean agreed that they ‘needed each other’ in order to topple the old firm. 

5 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

I’m on full agreement with you here, but McLean DID do a Largs course, along with Fergie. It was at one of those courses where Fergie and McLean agreed that they ‘needed each other’ in order to topple the old firm. 

Well. I didn't know that so apologies.  Didn't think Fergie or McLean would have needed that.  Their personality and experience.  But I have been in education for a long time and understand that everyone can learn. Just angers me that since Largs started up we never qualified for anything.  My fault for thinking that way maybe.  I manage young guys and don't feel the need for a badge. Footballl is a simple game.

Interesting reading, my boys team (2013s) were separating the boys into 2 groups, the good players and the rest. My boy was in the 2nd group, and I never had a problem with that (there wasn’t a 3rd group (copyright John Gaghan)).

They stopped doing that, think some parents were grumbling about it, but I thought it was better to let the weaker players play together at their own level and build their confidence, some of them improved significantly with the extra time on the ball etc, rather than them daisy picking while the better players played around them.

I can see the politics and trying to keep everyone happy is an absolute minefield.

Fair play to all the folk that give up their time to do it.

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Interesting reading, my boys team (2013s) were separating the boys into 2 groups, the good players and the rest. My boy was in the 2nd group, and I never had a problem with that (there wasn’t a 3rd group (copyright John Gaghan)).

They stopped doing that, think some parents were grumbling about it, but I thought it was better to let the weaker players play together at their own level and build their confidence, some of them improved significantly with the extra time on the ball etc, rather than them daisy picking while the better players played around them.

I can see the politics and trying to keep everyone happy is an absolute minefield.

John Gaghagan was one of the best after dinner speakers on the circuit at that time.  Used to get him and seen him a few times at Fir Park at functions.

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

You’re right, the politics is a nightmare. Can never keep everyone happy (parents especially).

One of the SFA coaches told me that by NOT splitting the group was designed so the weaker players would ‘get dragged to a better level by better players’, the better player would be seen to be an unofficial captain (his words). To me, all that happened was the better players would be held back and you’d see them getting frustrated when the weaker players couldn’t control a simple pass. 

Last autumn, when all the academies were closed, a group of Hearts academy kids were brought together along with some Hibs kids and a couple of Rangers kids. They played along with my lad (who is a Pelé player for Edinburgh City, the highest level at non-academy) and to be honest for the first two weeks my lad Aleks struggled. He was used to it being mixed but being thrown into the academy mix suddenly was an eye-opener to him. Everything was so much faster than he was used to, no time on the ball, the general pace etc. Fair play to him, after a few weeks he really sped up and fitted in quite well, but then when the acadamies went back it was back to being mixed again.

As for the academies, I don’t really believe in them. Yes, the players all might be technically better, but by being snaffled in a young age (7/8/9), given a trackie with your initials on it, training at the Oriam with high class facilities and playing against peers in friendlies impliments the thoughts that they have already ‘made it’. They then play academy v academy for years, non-competitively, and things are easy. If they are lucky enough to make the first team they might get a few games and show up well initially, but eventually you’ll see they lack graft and heart as they’ve had it easy too long.
There’s a lot to be said about the old reserve leagues or going on loan, playing against good hard pros who need that win bonus who won’t think twice about smashing you. Toughens the kids up mentally before really making progress at first team level. 

4 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

You’re right, the politics is a nightmare. Can never keep everyone happy (parents especially).

One of the SFA coaches told me that by NOT splitting the group was designed so the weaker players would ‘get dragged to a better level by better players’, the better player would be seen to be an unofficial captain (his words). To me, all that happened was the better players would be held back and you’d see them getting frustrated when the weaker players couldn’t control a simple pass. 

Last autumn, when all the academies were closed, a group of Hearts academy kids were brought together along with some Hibs kids and a couple of Rangers kids. They played along with my lad (who is a Pelé player for Edinburgh City, the highest level at non-academy) and to be honest for the first two weeks my lad Aleks struggled. He was used to it being mixed but being thrown into the academy mix suddenly was an eye-opener to him. Everything was so much faster than he was used to, no time on the ball, the general pace etc. Fair play to him, after a few weeks he really sped up and fitted in quite well, but then when the acadamies went back it was back to being mixed again.

As for the academies, I don’t really believe in them. Yes, the players all might be technically better, but by being snaffled in a young age (7/8/9), given a trackie with your initials on it, training at the Oriam with high class facilities and playing against peers in friendlies impliments the thoughts that they have already ‘made it’. They then play academy v academy for years, non-competitively, and things are easy. If they are lucky enough to make the first team they might get a few games and show up well initially, but eventually you’ll see they lack graft and heart as they’ve had it easy too long.
There’s a lot to be said about the old reserve leagues or going on loan, playing against good hard pros who need that win bonus who won’t think twice about smashing you. Toughens the kids up mentally before really making progress at first team level. 

Get the young ones out on a park and make it simple.  I remember a good friend of mine telling me his son had  signed for Dundee Utd.  He was 9. A load of crap imo.  But never made it.  The system is wrong here.  Proof is always in the pudding.  We all love football on here but the SFA have a lot to answer for.  Rangers as well with their 'Academy'.  That would be as well run as a shelter and I am a Rangers fan.

15 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Get the young ones out on a park and make it simple.  I remember a good friend of mine telling me his son had  signed for Dundee Utd.  He was 9. A load of crap imo.  But never made it.  The system is wrong here.  Proof is always in the pudding.  We all love football on here but the SFA have a lot to answer for.  Rangers as well with their 'Academy'.  That would be as well run as a shelter and I am a Rangers fan.

Yup, and by not making it despite going through the academy, he’s also missed out on regular, competitive club fitba, as well as school fitba, as academies don’t allow their players to play. Another player lost 😠 

4 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Yup, and by not making it despite going through the academy, he’s also missed out on regular, competitive club fitba, as well as school fitba, as academies don’t allow their players to play. Another player lost 😠 

Absolutely.  Young guys should be allowed to play with their school team.  I run the school team down here and his dad is now first team coach at st johnstone.  He would never dream of not allowing his son to play with the school team.  SFA and clubs like Dundee Utd (and Rangers probably as well) have a lot to answer for.

2 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Is that true? I have seen a lad who is with the Fife Elite Academy play for his school.

5 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

Is that true? I have seen a lad who is with the Fife Elite Academy play for his school.

Don’t know if it’s a strict rule, but it’s certainly frowned upon, especially as the academy matches are usually Saturday mornings/lunchtimes. 

Is the Fife academy not affiliated to a particular club?

Edited by McTeeko

8 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Don’t know if it’s a strict rule, but it’s certainly frowned upon, especially as the academy matches are usually Saturday mornings/lunchtimes. 

Is the Fife academy not affiliated to a particular club?

I believe all the Fife teams agreed they couldn't afford to run individual academies so they pool their youngsters together to put a side out.

I would say that youngsters do get taken into academies too soon, I think they shouldn't really kick in until the boys start playing 11 side (u13's in old money) just so they lads can keep playing with their friends at local clubs. It was Strachan on (I think) the Graham Hunter podcast used the example of a lad in Aberdeen's academy could drive to Kilmarnock for a game, get brought on for the last 10 minutes and touch the ball three times before being taken home. 9 hours out his day for 3 touches of the ball. Strachan said he went into his garage to kick the ball off the wall for an hour and touched the ball 1,000 times.

I think it is only £20 or something ridiculous that a pro club is to pay to sign a lad from a club. I have heard stories of them signing 3/4 players from a club to provide short term cover for a few fixtures then come May the lads get told they are being released and they jack in football completely.

Some pretty poor stories I’ve heard too. I know one guy, he’s a mate I played with years ago, affiliated to a pro club. My wife knows him too and when she spotted him at our Fun 4s (7 year olds) and asked why he was there he replied “I need to make sure I can gather up all young players with potential because if I let them slip through and they end up at a rival club I get my baws booted”. 
Basically he was there to throw a net over any kid who looked decent and had potential to try and hook him early. 

Utter nonsense 😠

3 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Some pretty poor stories I’ve heard too. I know one guy, he’s a mate I played with years ago, affiliated to a pro club. My wife knows him too and when she spotted him at our Fun 4s (7 year olds) and asked why he was there he replied “I need to make sure I can gather up all young players with potential because if I let them slip through and they end up at a rival club I get my baws booted”. 
Basically he was there to throw a net over any kid who looked decent and had potential to try and hook him early. 

Utter nonsense 😠

Matty was watched by Aberdeen last year, he got all excited when he seen the scout talking to me and taking details, had to explain to him that the boy will have 1000’s of names and not to get too excited. His pal in primary school was the keeper for Aberdeen, but wasn’t allowed to play for the school, basically made him choose between them and his pals, then ditched him when they thought he wouldn’t be tall enough. He was about 12 😂

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Matty was watched by Aberdeen last year, he got all excited when he seen the scout talking to me and taking details, had to explain to him that the boy will have 1000’s of names and not to get too excited. His pal in primary school was the keeper for Aberdeen, but wasn’t allowed to play for the school, basically made him choose between them and his pals, then ditched him when they thought he wouldn’t be tall enough. He was about 12 😂

Maybe the scout went to Largs?  Andy Goram was the same height as Big Daft Ramy.  About 5 feet 8 with his hands up.  But still went on to be a great keeper.

I'm involved in the girls/women's game. Started as a school team, then became a youth club with multiple teams and over 50 coming to training. We have now linked up with Ross County now to become Ross County Girls and Womens FC from this season but still run independently. We currently have U11, U13 and U15 sections and will hopefully expand this further as the older ones progress and new younger ones joining to cover the full pathway from U9 to adult. I've done up to  the children's coaching licence on the child pathway and UEFA C on the youth/adult pathway.

9 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

I'm involved in the girls/women's game. Started as a school team, then became a youth club with multiple teams and over 50 coming to training. We have now linked up with Ross County now to become Ross County Girls and Womens FC from this season but still run independently. We currently have U11, U13 and U15 sections and will hopefully expand this further as the older ones progress and new younger ones joining to cover the full pathway from U9 to adult. I've done up to  the children's coaching licence on the child pathway and UEFA C on the youth/adult pathway.

That is a great thing.  I had girls in Argyll who wanted to play football but there just wasn't enough demand there.  So well done and keep it going.

I have 4 sons, from about 1993 to 2008 my weekends revolved around school and boys club football,I ran the school team  along with others for all of that time,schools football was still 11 a side at that time ,it was crazy some weekends with parents screaming from the sidelines every week,because there was a shortage of referees I did my SFA badge and would referee a game before or after the kids school game.I had to give up because of the abuse and  I was starting to square up to parents....straw that broke the camels back was a P7 game with incessant abuse from the parents of a former Aberdeen captain,I sent the grandfather from the line because of his abuse and language and he replied "im just walking my dog you cant tell me where to go"

50 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

I have 4 sons, from about 1993 to 2008 my weekends revolved around school and boys club football,I ran the school team  along with others for all of that time,schools football was still 11 a side at that time ,it was crazy some weekends with parents screaming from the sidelines every week,because there was a shortage of referees I did my SFA badge and would referee a game before or after the kids school game.I had to give up because of the abuse and  I was starting to square up to parents....straw that broke the camels back was a P7 game with incessant abuse from the parents of a former Aberdeen captain,I sent the grandfather from the line because of his abuse and language and he replied "im just walking my dog you cant tell me where to go"

@Cove_Sheepwill tell you a story about a friendly he reffed for my boys team 😂😂😂

30 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

I'm waiting...

He had to send off the opposition manager after he was called a cheat. It was an interclub friendly and about the 4th time the kids had played at 11 a side. Had to abandon it in the 2nd half when we went about 4 or 5-1 up 😂😂