Friendlies before euro 2020 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendlies before euro 2020

TA Torr

38 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It would be a great story if Considine did make the Euros squad and actually play. But, realistically, even with a larger squad, we have to be ruthless. As much as I like him, I don't think he should make the final list.

I did think that Nisbet being brought on before McBurnie against the Faroes was quite telling. But I might be reading into it too much and it could simply be because Clarke knows McBurnie well, and doesn't need to see him on the pitch as much as he does Nisbet. 

If it were me, I'd take 30+ players to Portugal, including Gauld, then whittle it right down for the Luxembourg game, depending on who performs well in training and in the match.

Yes, he did that with Porteous if you remember - and Ross McCrorie. Clearly, now there are other and better alternatives to those two.

27 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Is the game at Algarve Stadium?

Yes, I think so. I can see a lot of Scots abroad turning this into a home fixture (covid permitting)

22 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Yes, he did that with Porteous if you remember - and Ross McCrorie. Clearly, now there are other and better alternatives to those two.

I wouldn't write anyone off, but I'd guess Nisbet will be replaced with Shankland, or by no one. But we don't know how he was in training, so you never know.

You're right, we are no longer in emergency situations where we have to call up random players from the wilderness. We are now spoiled for choice (in most positions).

15 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Yes, I think so. I can see a lot of Scots abroad turning this into a home fixture (covid permitting)

Portugal is still closed doors when it comes to football, and as they are not involved in Euro 2020, will not have the same pressure put on them (especially for a match that does not involve Portugal).

Shame its not being played in the Netherlands, as Dutch FA and Government have approved 25% crowds for the Euros in Amsterdam. 

i think the choice of friendlies is a good one. get a good test against a much better team than us then play luxembourg for what should be a morale boosting win before we head into the tournament. i think clarke needs to get some continuity with the team going into the euros. i would like this team played in both games

marshall

mctominay cooper tierney

fraser                                     robertson

jack   mcgregor

mcginn

christie adams

i think thats our best team and allows us to fit in our best players while making us more attack minded which was one of our problems in the last three games.

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

i think the choice of friendlies is a good one. get a good test against a much better team than us then play luxembourg for what should be a morale boosting win before we head into the tournament. i think clarke needs to get some continuity with the team going into the euros. i would like this team played in both games

marshall

mctominay cooper tierney

jack   mcgregor

mcginn

christie adams

i think thats our best team and allows us to fit in our best players while making us more attack minded which was one of our problems in the last three games.

No quarrel with that team, though Christie is woefully out of form and I'm concerned about Jack's fitness; we have no like-for-like replacement for him.

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

marshall

mctominay cooper tierney

jack   mcgregor

mcginn

christie adams

I have no qualms about playing McTominay in defence. But if it means McGregor starting, then I'd much rather have him in midfield.

McGregor is pretty much guaranteed to gift the opposition at least 2 decent shots/through balls a game in the middle of the park. He won't contribute much going forward either to compensate.

Otherwise, your team is pretty much spot on.

22 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

What’s the update on Jack’s injury situation?  Thought I saw mention from Rangers that it was worse than initially thought but not sure if he’s definitely out for Euros.

He's not been ruled out but a couple of weeks ago he was deemed fit to play but Gerrard said he took the decision to protect him as they had rushed him back too soon before.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 3:25 AM, mccaughey85 said:

marshall

mctominay cooper tierney

jack   mcgregor

mcginn

christie adams

Be interesting to see how the team shapes up against Netherlands. Suspect Clarke will stick with a lone striker and Dykes is staking a claim for that now. McTominay may take Jack's place in Midfield. Suspect also McDonnell may take right back,  especially if Fraser doesn't get some game time soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Netherlands game confirmed as closed doors with no fans.

Luxembourg confirmed as 1000 home fans only (either way, Luxembourg on UK Amber List, so would mean 10 days isolation upon return and miss the Czech and England games).

On 5/19/2021 at 2:31 PM, wanderer said:

Netherlands game confirmed as closed doors with no fans.

Luxembourg confirmed as 1000 home fans only (either way, Luxembourg on UK Amber List, so would mean 10 days isolation upon return and miss the Czech and England games).

Live in Germany and having to pass (26 pointer) on being in Glasgow.

Train, hotel and match ticket booked for Luxemburg. Over on the Saturday, back to Germany on the Monday.

Anybody looking for a ticket, the link is here.