Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The universe is flat!

Eh? No. Sooner or later there will be a rock out there that will impact Earth and wipe out all life here. These types of missions are tiny steps towards mankind moving out into space and colonizi

Earth ,Venus and Jupiter as seen from Mars 

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, phart said:

Well we don't have enough data there's conflicting evidence, it might be space time is curved so you'd end up where you started and we only have the observable universe we don't know what's beyond that.

I'm defo not qualified to say! That's all I know.

I'm the same and wish I knew more. Part of me envies the certainty religious bampots enjoy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

These pictures are amazing! That looks like Salisbury Crags, with Arthur's seat on the right?

image.png.269ad2542080aaadcd6b93e3aac09268.png

I mean it looks unexpectly like Earth on a grey day.

Whereas the Moon always looked a bit alien and otherwordly, with its strange shimmering silver dusty ground and black sky. And earlier pictures of Mars looked like a flat dusty desert too, like a redder version of the moon.

But this looks much more like a landscape you could relate to, like an Earthly desert, almost a home from home.

 

Edited by exile
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Hi def video of the landing...

 

Yes an amazing video. I watched it on the live NASA press conference. Really great to see the various stages of the landing all in video - mind-boggling to think its all from another planet.

Software will be uploaded now to the rover in preparation for its scientific work which will begin in the coming few days as they look to move the rover for the first time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes an amazing video. I watched it on the live NASA press conference. Really great to see the various stages of the landing all in video - mind-boggling to think its all from another planet.

Software will be uploaded now to the rover in preparation for its scientific work which will begin in the coming few days as they look to move the rover for the first time.

FFS, hope it's no a Windows 10 update. We might have to wait a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2021 at 9:43 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Eh? No.

Sooner or later there will be a rock out there that will impact Earth and wipe out all life here. These types of missions are tiny steps towards mankind moving out into space and colonizing planets so that mankind does not become extinct in one fell swoop.

I'll stay here cheers, you enjoy your new planet

On 2/18/2021 at 9:46 PM, Och Aye said:

Absolutely not. We've dragged our heels in space exploration. The world will always need more money that'll never change. 

 Dragged our heels in what way? loads of places not doing it as it's completely unnecessary

On 2/19/2021 at 7:29 AM, phart said:

I personally don't, although the "state of the world" isn't a function of a lack of money there's plenty of money.

I just don't see the point in it all at all, just baffles me why they care so much, it's supposedly never ending so when do you stop? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I'll stay here cheers, you enjoy your new planet

 Dragged our heels in what way? loads of places not doing it as it's completely unnecessary

I just don't see the point in it all at all, just baffles me why they care so much, it's supposedly never ending so when do you stop? 

Fine you do mot see the benefit of space exploration. I do not see the benefit of spending even more money to buy ptims dona footballers but it happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

Earth ,Venus and Jupiter as seen from Mars 

C2AB80A7-819F-4E3D-B23B-C031B77BA602.png

I think that's a fake image.

 

EDIT:

A computer created this image. It was not captured on Mars, a NASA spokesperson confirmed.

THE FACTS: Social media users this week are sharing an image that appears to show a hazy, orange Mars skyline with Earth, Venus and Jupiter visible as white dots in the distance.

“Earth, Venus and Jupiter as seen from Mars,” a Facebook page for astronomy hobbyists wrote in a post viewed more than 5 million times.

However, the picture is not real, a NASA spokesperson confirmed.

Edited by phart
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, phart said:

I think that's a fake image.

 

EDIT:

A computer created this image. It was not captured on Mars, a NASA spokesperson confirmed.

THE FACTS: Social media users this week are sharing an image that appears to show a hazy, orange Mars skyline with Earth, Venus and Jupiter visible as white dots in the distance.

“Earth, Venus and Jupiter as seen from Mars,” a Facebook page for astronomy hobbyists wrote in a post viewed more than 5 million times.

However, the picture is not real, a NASA spokesperson confirmed.

Your a bastion of knowledge phart got that image from the science club I’m sure they’ll be disappointed the image is not real 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

Your a bastion of knowledge phart got that image from the science club I’m sure they’ll be disappointed the image is not real 👍

It's obviously plausible as amatuer astronomists were sharing it too! I just thought maybe a bit too good to be true. So decided to see if JPL or NASA had released it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...