Mars Perseverance Mission - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mars Perseverance Mission

Absolutely love all this stuff, we as a species have done some pretty amazing things (as well as abhorrent) since we evolved from the plains of Africa.

My take on non-Earth life, is that there must be millions of planets in  our Galaxy (Billions in our Universe) that are teaming with biological life, however Intelligent life might be quite rare, although when i say rare there could be tens of thousands in  our Galaxy and many millions throughout our Universe - the bad / sad news is that due to the scale of the cosmos we will probably never find out. just my non-educated take on it !!

5 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Absolutely love all this stuff, we as a species have done some pretty amazing things (as well as abhorrent) since we evolved from the plains of Africa.

My take on non-Earth life, is that there must be millions of planets in  our Galaxy (Billions in our Universe) that are teaming with biological life, however Intelligent life might be quite rare, although when i say rare there could be tens of thousands in  our Galaxy and many millions throughout our Universe - the bad / sad news is that due to the scale of the cosmos we will probably never find out. just my non-educated take on it !!

Pretty accurate and how I'd see it too.

However, if Perseverance returns samples that prove that there was once life on Mars (even microbial) it would change everything. I mean life evolving in our neighbourhood on Mars and there are other candidates in our solar system too for some form of life such as Jupiter's moon Europa.

It's the step to multicelluar that took so long here.

The moons are more likely to hold life currently.

It's trying to rule out that life didn't evolve in one place and then travel between Mars and Earth or vice versa that is a problem.

I understand it's a public engagement exercise but it tweeting just annoyed me :D

7 hours ago, phart said:

Scotty you talk about sheep when you're a member of the largest flock in modern human history...

If only.

Few are Bible-believing.

7 hours ago, phart said:

..following a shepherd no one has ever seen let alone a CGI copy.

I believe by faith.

In truth, there are no facts (just 'facts').

EVERYBODY believes EVERYTHING by FAITH

7 hours ago, phart said:

Following words written by a council of humans...

There has never been a book written in the same way as the Bible.

- The Bible was written by the Holy Spirit through about 40 humans.

- who wrote from 3 different continents: Asia, Africa and Europe… 

- in many different places: the wilderness, prison, traveling, islands… 

- at different times; covering a span of about 1,600 years… 

- who did different kinds of jobs: fishermen, kings, shepherd, a herdsman, a politician, a doctor, a tax collector, a rabbinical scholar and more. 

They all wrote about the same thing, and without any contradictions.

7 hours ago, phart said:

...the subject they wrote about was alive in a language you don't understand, which was then translated into a language you don't understand.

I understand Hebrew to English, Aramaic to English, and Greek to English.

7 hours ago, phart said:

All this while availing yourself of the benefits modern science and it's methods have provided you, the same laws that govern flight,the internet , modern medicine, technology , super conductors a phone etc.

But I accept true science. (I always have.)

What I reject is pseudo-science, faux science, scientism, and theoretical science masquerading as true science.

7 hours ago, phart said:

There's a reason you believed the April fools joke that there was a dinosaur found in South America...

Lucid sleepwalking?

(If you can find it, you'll see that the first person to pooh-pooh that thread was... me.)

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Scotty can I kindly request you delete your pishy post and take it onto your own personal thread. There's a good lad eh? 

Is that you, Ramy?

TAMBers don't 'own' threads.

The forum is 'Anything Goes'.

Opposing views and opinions aren't supposed to be censored or forbidden on message boards.

3 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Pretty accurate and how I'd see it too.

Life doesn't evolve, and there aren't any 'planets' that we can land on.

We have creation, stars, wandering stars, with lies and illusion backed by CGI.

2 hours ago, phart said:

It's the step to multicelluar that took so long here.

I was wondering what the hold up was.

2 hours ago, phart said:

The moons are more likely to hold life currently.

What does William Hill's say?

2 hours ago, phart said:

It's trying to rule out that life didn't evolve in one place and then travel between Mars and Earth or vice versa that is a problem.

Don't you hate that?

3 hours ago, phart said:

Yes that is a good point.

We had the meteorite from Mars in 1996 that was found in Antartica that were thought to contain evidence of primitive life on Mars but later picked apart as actually being contaminated by Earth-bound life forms or something.

https://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/nasa1.html

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

TAMBers don't 'own' threads.

The forum is 'Anything Goes'.

Opposing views and opinions aren't supposed to be censored or forbidden on message boards.

I thought this thread is supposed to be about the Mars Perseverence Mission; rather than a debate about the bible, the nature of faith or the epistemology of scientism. These could be fine topics for debate and opposing views, but really belong on another thread - why not start a new thread for those things, and let's keep this one for Mars and space exploration?

26 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Good job the old swear filter from the previous board is obsolete or this could have been a very different, and rather intimate, thread altogether!!  

Remember the guy called gatekeeper who was wondering why his name kept getting changed to sweetheart haha!

You have tens of thousands of faiths all with the same sense of certainty all arguing they're right with no actual real life output. Then you have 1 set of physical rules which tens of thousands of scientists all agree upon which have produced countless real world examples. The evidence is overwhelming it doesn't need debated or defended.

Everything we know at a fundemental level can be expressed in one mathmatical formula as well.

Everyday-Equation.jpg

Edited by phart

31 minutes ago, phart said:

Remember the guy called gatekeeper who was wondering why his name kept getting changed to sweetheart haha!

You have tens of thousands of faiths all with the same sense of certainty all arguing they're right with no actual real life output. Then you have 1 set of physical rules which tens of thousands of scientists all agree upon which have produced countless real world examples. The evidence is overwhelming it doesn't need debated or defended.

Everything we know at a fundemental level can be expressed in one mathmatical formula as well.

Everyday-Equation.jpg

Ha ha - that must be ten year ago aye!

When you see what can be achieved with a common purpose like knocking this vaccine out barely a year after outbreak or this Mars mission it would be interesting to see what could be achieved if religion and science found ways of working together beyond blowing up competition.

46 minutes ago, phart said:

The universe is flat!

It pickles my mind reading what shape the universe is - is the horizon as far as we can calculate in a globe shape?

If it's finite in distance could we sail off the edges like we used to believe possible on this planet not very long ago?

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It pickles my mind reading what shape the universe is - is the horizon as far as we can calculate in a globe shape?

If it's finite in distance could we sail off the edges like we used to believe possible on this planet not very long ago?

Well we don't have enough data there's conflicting evidence, it might be space time is curved so you'd end up where you started and we only have the observable universe we don't know what's beyond that.

I'm defo not qualified to say! That's all I know.