Health and Fitness thread.. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Health and Fitness thread..

Brand new thread. So with covid, and time to burn, my wife and I are looking into purchasing a bowflex, the one endorsed by Chuck Norris. We have watched a few videos and read up on it, seems a good machine. I am not looking to bulk up, its more for toning and cardio, and staying in shape. Anyone used one, have one, that could give an opinion? It's about £1000.00 to buy, but they are on sale for £600.00 on Ebay, but but you can use it anywhere. Thing is, fitness equipment is so hard to get now, and at our age, it's important to stay in shape. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. 

I cant help you with the bowflex Ramy as i have never heard of it but I would definitely recommend spending what you can afford on a decent piece of equipment and waiting for something you want rather than rushing in and buying  a poor alternative. For £1000 you should get something decent. 
Mr Tidy bought a spin bike from the shopping channel a few months ago , it cost £200 . Was total shit, it squeaked so much it was like living with a giant mouse. The straps on the pedals broke and the handlebars came away one day when he was cycling. It was also a nightmare trying to return it. 
Good luck . 

Was going to say the same celeb endorsements are there for a reason. Free weights or even a decent set of resistance bands take up a lot less room and will do the same job. 

On the spin bike thing if Mr tidy has a real bike he'd be better off getting himself a turbo trainer. I've got one set up in a spare room ,got it in halfords a couple of years ago think it was about £100.

35 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Was going to say the same celeb endorsements are there for a reason. Free weights or even a decent set of resistance bands take up a lot less room and will do the same job. 

On the spin bike thing if Mr tidy has a real bike he'd be better off getting himself a turbo trainer. I've got one set up in a spare room ,got it in halfords a couple of years ago think it was about £100.

Thats a really good idea Bonzo. I had never heard of a turbo trainer , I dont have much interest in cycling. He bought a new bike a few weeks ago so will mention this. Thanks 👍

I went to the gym and on a health kick about 3 years ago. Lost about a stone and a half in 10 weeks, ate next to nothing and got abused in the gym by a pt. 

Got bored of it, being fat and unfit is a lot more fun, although it did help my golf. 

Bought kettlebells off of Facebook marketplace and I dont even know where they are now. 

This was my difference it the 10 week plan.

My idea of keeping active now is coaching the kids fitba and the golf course.

That’s more than enough for me. 6E4E4B98-511C-438D-8509-D8625B3B1CAD.thumb.jpeg.6353fac3f0da9342062ef42bf36a1c3c.jpeg 

608E8853-76CF-4761-8302-14B59BFAAB7C.jpeg

23 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I went to the gym and on a health kick about 3 years ago. Lost about a stone and a half in 10 weeks, ate next to nothing and got abused in the gym by a pt. 

Got bored of it, being fat and unfit is a lot more fun, although it did help my golf. 

Bought kettlebells off of Facebook marketplace and I dont even know where they are now. 

This was my difference it the 10 week plan.

My idea of keeping active now is coaching the kids fitba and the golf course.

That’s more than enough for me. 

608E8853-76CF-4761-8302-14B59BFAAB7C.jpeg

Looks like Stevie Gerrard has let himself go a wee bit 😬 

At least you managed to match up your trainers  . Handbag is a nice touch too .

My fitness advice is get yourself a Bitmoji 😁

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Looks like Stevie Gerrard has let himself go a wee bit 😬 

At least you managed to match up your trainers  . Handbag is a nice touch too .

My fitness advice is get yourself a Bitmoji 😁

My trainers always match my outfit 😂

Bought a kettler treadmill from John Lewis last August in Southampton it was the only one they had in the store as i suspended my gym membership was not to keen on going back into the gym given the COVID situation best thing I ever bought will now be cancelling my gym membership 

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You still need a bit of work on your handbag/shoe colour co-ordination  😁

Nice family btw 👍

Thanks, but don’t let the photo fool you, they’re all a pain in the arse 😂

For the record, the bag isn’t mine........🤫

Managed to lose around nearly a stone in 6 weeks when our dog was a puppy and needed lots of walking.

Nearly 8 years later she does not need nearly as much walking and more or less tells us when she has had enough, so sadly the pounds have gradually went back on. 

I try and do at least  10.000 steps on my days off, though I suppose alot of it is sticking to a good diet which ain't easy just now.

Exactly Pride, you can't out train a "bad diet" unless doing tour de france levels of output.

I've lost 156lb since about september 2019. Just from walking and running and counting calories. No other things needed.

In saying that last night i had a donner calzone and a pizza supper, and right now i'm waiting on a curry to be delivered but decided to treat myself this weekend.

I'm going to start bulking up now though, just use bodyweight some resistance banks , dumbells and a kettlebell i have.

All the fancy stuff is just marketing in my head, same with the diets but whatever works for you, works.

Cheers for the info folks, still 50-50 on the bowflex. My oldest son has weights and a gym station in our basement, but my wife and I want more cardio.. we bike in the summer, but doing nothing just now.. I'm taking this serious as I quit smoking almost 2 year ago, and no drink for 10 months. Just want to lose atleast 2 stone as I plan on playing football this summer depending on covid.. Nice to see folk posting on this thread as health and fitness is a vital part of our daily life. 

4 minutes ago, slasher said:

Has anyone tried yon Peleton thingy? It seems a bit pricey but maybe has some merit if everyone in the house is using it? 

My wife's mate has one and she swears by it. The Peleton is very  big over here. As you say though Slasher, they are very expensive..

2 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

My wife's mate has one and she swears by it. The Peleton is very  big over here. As you say though Slasher, they are very expensive..

It's a great solution to a medium/short term problem m8...... but they want u to sign up for 39 months! 

18 hours ago, Tiny Tim said:

If you look closely enough Tidy, there’s two snow leopards hiding in those cushions :-))

Pretty impressive is that DD 👍🏼

😂😂

I can also see the numbers 3 and 5 in the cushions. In fact 35 is the exact number of snow leopards Orraloon has counted so far. I think the snow leopards are trying to communicate with the human world via Dandydunn’s cushions. 

16 hours ago, slasher said:

Has anyone tried yon Peleton thingy? It seems a bit pricey but maybe has some merit if everyone in the house is using it? 

16 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

16 hours ago, slasher said:

It's a great solution to a medium/short term problem m8...... but they want u to sign up for 39 months! 

I think the Peleton thing is probably great for people that are totally committed to exercise a number of times a week but it is pretty pricey if you are just looking for some cardio. . Do they give you a free trial ? 
A running machine that has been recommended like the one ‘ wheres the pies ‘ has suggested is worth looking at ( though I am no sure a recommendation from someone called ‘wheres the pies’ holds much weight 😁) , or why dont you even just start running outside?  Look at what Phart has achieved.

I was using a gym up till Covid came and was forced to run outside when they closed. Its one of the good  things that have happened out of Covid for me, its a million times better running outside than inside. Fresh air and more going on to keep your mind of the pain ! 😁

17 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

My biggest problem is coca cola. I love it, and since I quit drinking, I find I am drinking alot more sugar drinks and not enough water. My wife sais it's all I'm head, aye, try telling ma belly that. Sweets anaw, I'm terrible, so exercise is a must for me...

i am the last person to tell folk what they should eat and drink but full fat coke is a no no. I love it but restrict myself to a can a week, if even that. It is all sugar and will be murder for your weight , as well as other health problems. If you can cut down even a bit it will be a start. Its hard though, you want to have something to enjoy , especially  if you have stopped the fags and booze . Even if you can start replacing it with sparkly water you will still have the fizz , and maybe put a slice of lemon in it. 

19 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

My biggest problem is coca cola. I love it, and since I quit drinking, I find I am drinking alot more sugar drinks and not enough water. My wife sais it's all I'm head, aye, try telling ma belly that. Sweets anaw, I'm terrible, so exercise is a must for me...

Have you tried Coke Zero? I know diet Coke tastes pretty pish, but I can't tell the difference between Coke Zero and the real stuff. It's braw.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Have you tried Coke Zero? I know diet Coke tastes pretty pish, but I can't tell the difference between Coke Zero and the real stuff. It's braw.

Cheers Oraloon, that's the one I drink, the only one. I think it tastes brilliant.. No a fan of diet Pepsi, that's honkin..😉😉

20 hours ago, phart said:

Exactly Pride, you can't out train a "bad diet" unless doing tour de france levels of output.

I've lost 156lb since about september 2019. Just from walking and running and counting calories. No other things needed.

In saying that last night i had a donner calzone and a pizza supper, and right now i'm waiting on a curry to be delivered but decided to treat myself this weekend.

I'm going to start bulking up now though, just use bodyweight some resistance banks , dumbells and a kettlebell i have.

All the fancy stuff is just marketing in my head, same with the diets but whatever works for you, works.

Credit to you fella. You’ve made me hungry with your choices too. 
I so agree the majority of stuff is marketing. 

On 2/7/2021 at 11:01 AM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Brand new thread. So with covid, and time to burn, my wife and I are looking into purchasing a bowflex, the one endorsed by Chuck Norris. We have watched a few videos and read up on it, seems a good machine. I am not looking to bulk up, its more for toning and cardio, and staying in shape. Anyone used one, have one, that could give an opinion? It's about £1000.00 to buy, but they are on sale for £600.00 on Ebay, but but you can use it anywhere. Thing is, fitness equipment is so hard to get now, and at our age, it's important to stay in shape. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. 

Ma wife bought it.. 2 weeks for delivery. Olympics here I come.. !!!👊👊👊😘💪💪💪🤣🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿