Moyes Keeping Himself in the Picture - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Moyes Keeping Himself in the Picture

Caledonian Craig

West Ham are flying high in the EPL just now under the management of David Moyes. Its been an impressive job he has done there after his spell at Man. United seemed to have left him as damaged goods. It is good to see as should anything go tits up with Steve Clarke as in form-wise/results-wise for us and he either is sacked or poached by a league club that Moyes is perhaps someone we could turn to.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

West Ham are flying high in the EPL just now under the management of David Moyes. Its been an impressive job he has done there after his spell at Man. United seemed to have left him as damaged goods. It is good to see as should anything go tits up with Steve Clarke as in form-wise/results-wise for us and he either is sacked or poached by a league club that Moyes is perhaps someone we could turn to.

Too ambitious to even look at the Scotland job for some time yet.

Moyes could be the man for the future when he's over 60 and looking for slower pace.

For the next few years he will be well out of our reach which is fine. Give Clarke the next euros(2024) if he wants it then hopefully by then moyes might be available. He's said in the past he would like to manage Scotland one day so that's positive. 

42 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Moyes could be the man for the future when he's over 60 and looking for slower pace.

For the next few years he will be well out of our reach which is fine. Give Clarke the next euros(2024) if he wants it then hopefully by then moyes might be available. He's said in the past he would like to manage Scotland one day so that's positive. 

You've got a lot of faith in Clark.

Euro finals, World cup qualifiers, the  nations league  to come before euro 24, good luck to him but I am pretty sure we will all be wanting a new manager long before then.

33 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You've got a lot of faith in Clark.

Euro finals, World cup qualifiers, the  nations league  to come before euro 24, good luck to him but I am pretty sure we will all be wanting a new manager long before then.

Well even though we have an easy group I don't expect Clarke to get us to the WC.

Sounds defeatist but the truth is the world Cup is a tough ask for countries of our ability and players. 

That means he will be mostly judged on the next euro campaign unless he does brutally bad in world Cup qualifiers. 

By qualifying for this upcoming euros I reckon he's bought himself the next euro qualifying. 

Obviously we will all want him sacked if we are completely humped in every game at the euros and  World Cup qualifiers but I can't see that happening. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 4:51 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

I think his spell at Sociedad and Sunderland left him with the reputation of damaged goods rather than his time at Man Utd which was solid if unspectacular - overall though no where near the bar set by his predecessor (which was always going go be a tough act to follow as since confirmed by Mourinho and Van Gaal). 

Getting a short term deal with WHU initially till the end of season was a stroke of luck but has worked out well for him and the club, offering him rehabilitation of reputation. I don't see him moving onto a bigger club from where he is now and if a parting of the ways beckons, which invariably happens to most managers rather sooner than later, then becoming Scotland manager is not an unreasonable shout given his patchy record with clubs of late and the type of challenge he would look to at this stage of his career. 

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I think his spell at Sociedad and Sunderland left him with the reputation of damaged goods rather than his time at Man Utd which was solid if unspectacular - overall though no where near the bar set by his predecessor (which was always going go be a tough act to follow as since confirmed by Mourinho and Van Gaal). 

Getting a short term deal with WHU initially till the end of season was a stroke of luck but has worked out well for him and the club, offering him rehabilitation of reputation. I don't see him moving onto a bigger club from where he is now and if a parting of the ways beckons, which invariably happens to most managers rather sooner than later, then becoming Scotland manager is not an unreasonable shout given his patchy record with clubs of late and the type of challenge he would look to at this stage of his career. 

Sorry but there is no chance moyes becomes Scotland manager anytime in the near future. West ham will pay way more than Scotland and they will look to keep him on. Either that or another epl club will offer him a contract for big money. His reputation has been repaired big time by this season and he will have excellent offers for him and being 57 he will probably want 1 last stint in club football before he retires or semi retires with the national team. 

Edited by mccaughey85

On 2/9/2021 at 6:35 PM, Toepoke said:

Hearing rumours that Clarke is off to Celtic after the Euros. Could be an opportunity for Moyes coming up soon...

really? Can’t see why he would take such a massive step down unless he thinks the Scotland job is too big for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Fair play to moyes

He has turned his career around. I'm in the camp who thinks he wants given a fair crack at man utd. 

I hope he keeps this up with west ham and takes them to the champions league. It would be great to see Leicester in again and west ham so some of the regular big guns were left our.

• 1 month later...

Everyone talks about the evolution of players, but the evolution of David Moyes has been remarkable. 

At Everton he was known as a defensive, pragmatic manager. And he deserved that tag. Even with Rooney and McFadden, etc, Everton were dire to watch.

A move to Manchester United didn't work out. Then there was a move to Sunderland and Real Sociedad, neither panned out.

Now he's turned West Ham into an entertaining, slick, great to watch, football team that have a real chance of qualifying for the European Cup. (They probably won't, but just being in the mix is remarkable)

He might not manage Scotland soon, but managing Scotland is his endgame