Young players to watch - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Young players to watch

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Shame but at his age its almost impossible to predict whether he will make the grade or not. 

Lads generally need to be strongly influenced by a parent from another country to not prefer to represent the nation they where born & grew up in.

In this case i guess various other factors might come into it, as well as probably better coaching & facilities they have down south it's also more convenient for him. 

Chances are he won't be back with us unless he isn't good enough or his dad makes him see sense. 

Edited by theabsentee

12 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

There are lots of players switching from Scotland to England lately.  Most do seem to be English-born.

What is the matter with them?  Used to be three of us play in the same team, all English born to Scots parents, not once would it have crossed our mind to play for England!

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Shame but at his age its almost impossible to predict whether he will make the grade or not. 

Lads generally need to be strongly influenced by a parent from another country to not prefer to represent the nation they where born & grew up in.

In this case i guess various other factors might come into it, as well as probably better coaching & facilities they have down south it's also more convenient for him. 

Chances are he won't be back with us unless he isn't good enough or his dad makes him see sense. 

Yeah, there's lots of variables.

The lad Is only 16 years old, just a kid, so all we can do is wish him well, whichever nation he ultimately chooses.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Could this switching have something to do with the fact that we don't seem to be successful and consistent at these levels, not helped by coaches like Stark and Gemmill?

Don't think nationality means much to kids these days so if you think your going to be any good why not just go for the best offer available. 

We should be much more disappointed when we lose out on lads who are born & bred here & choose to play for someone else.

Recent examples are Harry Souttar & perhaps Scott Banks. 

I'll also be sad if we lose Elliot Anderson as he looks a player. Again though born down south so we have to respect his decision. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/elliot-anderson-lands-england-u19-20211797.amp

31 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Could this switching have something to do with the fact that we don't seem to be successful and consistent at these levels, not helped by coaches like Stark and Gemmill?

Definitely doesn't help. You can probably add Malky Mackay to that list.     

Hardly the most thrilling thought for a family with a dual nationality teenage son having the likes of him knocking on your door trying to persuade you your sons in good hands playing for us. 

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

What is the matter with them?  Used to be three of us play in the same team, all English born to Scots parents, not once would it have crossed our mind to play for England!

Unless you're under 30, you and your mates will have first-hand memories of Scotland qualifying and playing in major tournaments though.  The likes of Anderson and Feeney weren't even born the last time that happened.

It's a shame, I'd obviously rather they stuck with Scotland, but seemingly England's St George's park training facility is amazing, whereas our youth teams are still coached by doolies like Gemmill and Stark.

Like the previous poster said, it's more annoying when we do produce players here in Scotland and they jump ship at the earliest opportunity, like Harry Souttar and that kid at Celtic.  That's one of the reasons I don't get too exercised about us using the eligibility rules to cap players - what's good for the goose, and all that.

If it's any consolation it's not just us that this happening to; even the RoI are losing their appeal to some eligible players.  That's Jack Grealish and Declan Rice they've missed out on recently - two top class young players.  You can imagine Rice turning up at a training session with Martin O'Neil and Roy Keane in charge and thinking to himself, what the fuck am I letting myself in for here?!

47 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Are the Irelands, Wales and England losing anyone to us? Surely it can't just be one way!

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2021/3/22/22343856/gareth-southgate-england-bayern-munich-jamal-musiala-germany-joachim-low-hansi-flick-die-mannschaft

Not sure of us but there recently lost 2 youth players to Germany and  America.

Seems to me to be a on going battle to recruit as many talents youngest in to there system as soon as possible no matter the cost.  I could be wrong but they seem to head hunt a lot of du elgible players and promise them the world. Can see why a lot of young kids and there parents would be wooled by it all.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Are the Irelands, Wales and England losing anyone to us? Surely it can't just be one way!

It's just the one way.

Potentially Scott Banks to Walea, too.

Is it any surprise, though? When kids see the brilliant talent of Billy Gilmour. They see Ryan Gauld making waves in the Portugese Primeira Liga. And also David Turnbull making marks in the SPL. And yet, all three of them are snubbed.

If they chose Wales or Ireland, they see a realistic chance of breaking into the squad. With Scotland? A potential generational player, Billy Gilmour, is being snubbed for a Norwich player.

Insane.

7 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's just the one way.

Is it any surprise, though? When kids see the brilliant talent of Billy Gilmour. They see Ryan Gauld making waves in the Portugese Primeira Liga. And also David Turnbull making marks in the SPL. And yet, all three of them are snubbed.

If they chose Wales or Ireland, they see a realistic chance of breaking into the squad. With Scotland? A potential generational player, Billy Gilmour, is being snubbed for a Norwich player.

Insane.

kenny McLean is a guid footballer.  Youse were all wetting yourselves over him when he scored the winner in the shoot out.

12 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's just the one way.

Insane.

I guess England might see McTominay as a loss. Though that one seemed to be a bit of a foregone conclusion, as he was raised a proud Scot. Nationality is much muddier than it used to be. So it's kind of hard to claim we "lost" players that were never ours in the first place. Though McGeady and McCarthy felt very much like a loss.

Gilmour lacks gametime, so that one I can understand, if not condone. The other 2 you mentioned are unforgiveable. He could have brought McLean (who I like) as well as those 2. Especially now that Jack dropped out.

14 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

We have a lot of English born players in our squads, and always have done.  It isn't very often we've selected players that England actually wanted though.  McTominay is about the only one I can think of.

Other than Dykes, I'm not sure we've ever really "poached" players from other countries.  

The list of players we've lost is worrying.  We didn't seem to learn from the McGeady and McCarthy situation.  There must be something going wrong somewhere.  Harry Souttar is a more recent annoying loss.   

Never heard of Terry Taylor - now plying his trade with Burton Albion after what looks like not making the grade at wolves. Also looks like he is actually half Welsh so all things considered doesn’t seem a huge loss. If he sees himself as Welsh then good luck to him. That Scott Banks on the other hand looks a player. 

I suspect that theres an element of ease playing for England at youth level when you stay in England. You are likely to also be playing alongside guys you either know from your club or that you play against reguarly. Add in the fact that England have a far better coaching setup and complex and its hardly surprising.

Whilst id like to see all the good young talent pull on the dark blue at youth level, i wouldnt be surprised to see some switch back if they dont make the elite grade. In reality even if an English born player was with our youth setup all the way through, if he progressed to the point where he might be an elite player then the chances are he would switch to England at that stage anyway.

None of this however means that we shouldnt be improving our setup as at times it seems very old fashioned in its approach.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

We have a lot of English born players in our squads, and always have done.  It isn't very often we've selected players that England actually wanted though.  McTominay is about the only one I can think of.

Other than Dykes, I'm not sure we've ever really "poached" players from other countries.  

The list of players we've lost is worrying.  We didn't seem to learn from the McGeady and McCarthy situation.  There must be something going wrong somewhere.  Harry Souttar is a more recent annoying loss.   

I think if he has a good Euros, there will be talk of "losing out on McTominay" south of the border. 

I recall there being suggestion that James Morrison could/should have been playing for England when he was doing well in the EPL.

It would be nice to be the country doing the stealing for a change. Arfield was originally Scottish before becoming Canadian. Though he is no great loss either.