Middle lane drivers? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Middle lane drivers?

38 minutes ago, jcs said:

You are allowed to drive in the middle lane to pass a line of other slower vehicles but you should return to the 1st (left hand lane) when your passed them that's legal its the halfwits that sit in the middle lane when there is no one else on the road the boil my piss, as  its dangerous driving, I remember the police some years ago saying they were going to crack down on roadhogs sitting in the middle lane but I've never heard or seen anybody being pulled for it 

My ex boss got done for that, he was driving down to Manchester Airport, midway between Glasgow and Dumfries. He said he was sitting in the middle lane, nobody else was about so didn’t think about it, cop car came of of nowhere and gave him a ticket for it. He was indignant that he done nothing wrong, even after the police told him what he did was wrong, I told him he was a stupid cunt. Some people can’t help themselves. 

19 hours ago, jcs said:

Why? I'm curious as to why so many people want to join an empty motorway and straight away jump to the middle lane when there's not a soul on the road, mostly doing 55 to 60 mph when it's a 70 mph speed limit, honestly apart from being fucking annoying when I have to leave the inside lane go out and round its dangerous,  I then return to the inside lane look in my mirror and the same arsehole hasnt took the hint as the get smaller and smaller in my mirror. by the way I'm not a speed freak  but I do sit at  70 mph when the road. Can somebody please explain 

I'm with you there, they're a bloody pest. And they're almost always in a Skoda Fabia, tootling along at about 65mph without a care in the world!

I can understand it if you are overtaking or if you are trying to avoid being diverted into a lane which takes you in another direction (like when the M8 splits into the M80 when you are heading east) but otherwise there's nae need for it, and like you say, it's potentially dangerous.

Going by some of the replies to this thread, bemused by the concept of a three lane motorway, and even the motorway itself, I can only assume many of the culprits are bewildered teuchters.  :D

19 hours ago, jcs said:

Why? I'm curious as to why so many people want to join an empty motorway and straight away jump to the middle lane when there's not a soul on the road, mostly doing 55 to 60 mph when it's a 70 mph speed limit, honestly apart from being fucking annoying when I have to leave the inside lane go out and round its dangerous,  I then return to the inside lane look in my mirror and the same arsehole hasnt took the hint as the get smaller and smaller in my mirror. by the way I'm not a speed freak  but I do sit at  70 mph when the road. Can somebody please explain 

3 hours ago, Fish Supper said:

Pet hate of mine. I do believe that the standard driving test now does not do enough to cover road sense, if we had a period of classroom work covering this and the highway code i think things would be better. We also need to include driving on a dual carriageway and motorway as standard. 

I also hate the cretins who think i should pull over or slow down to allow them to enter a dual carriageway or motorway, feck off. Driving in good visibility with their fog lights on, or sidelights and fogs when dark or even just main beam on all the time.

People who do not indicate their intentions, as a motorcycle instructor these cants really wind me up. I could go on about bad driving habits in this country (UK as a whole).

I think some people are either just lazy and sit there for ease, or they feel the middle is safer and dont want to have the dilemma of what to do when someone is trying to get on the motorway. I definitely think motorway driving should be part of the test. I passed my test in Jersey in 1988 , the day before we were moved back to Scotland to live , and remember absolutely bricking it when I went on the motorway the first few times over here . 

Fish Supper, what do you mean by hating folk that expect you to move over or slow down ? I thought that was normal road etiquette. I would always try and let someone on unless it was impossible for me to move over or slow down. Its a nightmare trying to get on from a stationery  position. Or do you just mean those folk that  batter onto the motorway no matter what ? They are murder. 

And @Orraloon, before you say it, no I am not a middle lane driver. I dont have the patience for it . I spend most of my time in the outside lane. That is when I am sober enough to drive of course 😬

When I was tought to drive i was told there is only one driving lane 

The other lane or lanes are called overtaking lanes and that's all they should be used for.

There is no ', middle'or 'fast 'lane'. 

There is a driving lane and overtaking lanes.

Don't get me started on people who presume entering a motorway from a slip road gives them right of way, or people who are on motorway jam on brakes and slow down to allow slip road traffic the right of way.....

14 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I'm with you there, they're a bloody pest. And they're almost always in a Skoda Fabia, tootling along at about 65mph without a care in the world!

I can understand it if you are overtaking or if you are trying to avoid being diverted into a lane which takes you in another direction (like when the M8 splits into the M80 when you are heading east) but otherwise there's nae need for it, and like you say, it's potentially dangerous.

Going by some of the replies to this thread, bemused by the concept of a three lane motorway, and even the motorway itself, I can only assume many of the culprits are bewildered teuchters.  :D

😂😂

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Fish Supper, what do you mean by hating folk that expect you to move over or slow down ? I thought that was normal road etiquette. I would always try and let someone on unless it was impossible for me to move over or slow down. Its a nightmare trying to get on from a stationery  position. Or do you just mean those folk that  batter onto the motorway no matter what ? They are murder. 

Apologies for answering instead of Fish Supper, but according to the highway code cars on the slip road must give way to traffic on the motorway, even if they have to stop on the slip road (really murder on the short slip roads you get Italy and Spain). Why I try to pull out into the middle lane when passing a junction if possible. 

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Apologies for answering instead of Fish Supper, but according to the highway code cars on the slip road must give way to traffic on the motorway, even if they have to stop on the slip road (really murder on the short slip roads you get Italy and Spain). Why I try to pull out into the middle lane when passing a junction if possible. 

Ah, I did not know that , well seen I passed my test somewhere with no motorways 🙄

It makes sense for the person on the slip road to give way as it is far more dangerous to try and manoeuvre on a motorway. I do think though that there should be a bit of mutual courtesy . Folk just barging their way onto the motorway really annoys me but it also annoys me when folk sit in the inside lane refusing to slow down a little or move to the middle lane when it is empty ( and not clogged with middle lane punters of course 😁) I think they are as bad as the folk who sit in the middle lane. 

I've also seen the opposite lack of road sense in action: extreme middle lane avoidance. Guy comes flying up the inside lane at 85, swerves across two lanes to overtake a car doing 75 in the middle lane, then swerves back into the left lane only to repeat the procedure half a mile down the road.

It always surprises me how raging folk get about middle lane hogs, there's another lane there, just pull out and overtake them.

That's not the case on the 2 laned M77, when a lorry pulls out to overtake at 1mph faster than the one in front 😡

49 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I've also seen the opposite lack of road sense in action: extreme middle lane avoidance. Guy comes flying up the inside lane at 85, swerves across two lanes to overtake a car doing 75 in the middle lane, then swerves back into the left lane only to repeat the procedure half a mile down the road.

It always surprises me how raging folk get about middle lane hogs, there's another lane there, just pull out and overtake them.

That's not the case on the 2 laned M77, when a lorry pulls out to overtake at 1mph faster than the one in front 😡

If some clown is sitting in the middle lane I always go into the middle then go into the outside lane then go to the middle lane then back to the inside when safe to do so, I'm raging because that's 4 lane changes when it should only be 2 that's fuckin dangerous and inconsiderate, I've actually seen the gantry above the motorway stating be considerate to other road users, I can actually here the middle lane halfwit saying what gantrys I've never seen them absolute arseholes, your right firing across lanes back and forward like exocet missile is also fucking dangerous that's not what I'm saying I'm talking about using motorways and dual carriageways as they should be used

Edited by jcs

4 hours ago, kumnio said:

My ex boss got done for that, he was driving down to Manchester Airport, midway between Glasgow and Dumfries. He said he was sitting in the middle lane, nobody else was about so didn’t think about it, cop car came of of nowhere and gave him a ticket for it. He was indignant that he done nothing wrong, even after the police told him what he did was wrong, I told him he was a stupid cunt. Some people can’t help themselves. 

Exactly what I'm talking about the people that do this don't see what they're doing as wrong, it bewilders me why you want to have to keep an eye on lanes either side of you, surely it's self explanatory that only having took at one lane is easier, obviously looking in your rear view mirror as well before someone says it's 3 and 2 

Edited by jcs

3 minutes ago, davy-hay said:

We are not allowed to turn left though. 

China you ll be lucky to move forward never mind turn. 

Turning left would involve  2 lanes in America though, the Chinese have had some ridiculous traffic jams involving hours WTF

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Scariest manoeuver for me is pulling back into the middle lane after overtaking, in case someone pulls out of the inside lane having not seen you. Have had a few near misses like that.

I usually don't move back in til I can see both cars in my mirrors using both interior mirror and left wing  mirror, by the way I'm not saying I'm an excellent driver. I just try to be careful as I can, I've never had an accident and really try my hardest to keep it that way