Middle lane drivers? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Middle lane drivers?

Why? I'm curious as to why so many people want to join an empty motorway and straight away jump to the middle lane when there's not a soul on the road, mostly doing 55 to 60 mph when it's a 70 mph speed limit, honestly apart from being fucking annoying when I have to leave the inside lane go out and round its dangerous,  I then return to the inside lane look in my mirror and the same arsehole hasnt took the hint as the get smaller and smaller in my mirror. by the way I'm not a speed freak  but I do sit at  70 mph when the road. Can somebody please explain 

Just now, jcs said:

Why? I'm curious as to why so many people want to join an empty motorway and straight away jump to the middle lane when there's not a soul on the road, mostly doing 55 to 60 mph when it's a 70 mph speed limit, honestly apart from being fucking annoying when I have to leave the inside lane go out and round its dangerous,  I then return to the inside lane look in my mirror and the same arsehole hasnt took the hint as the get smaller and smaller in my mirror. by the way I'm not a speed freak  but I do sit at  70 mph when the road is empty. Can somebody please explain 

4 minutes ago, davy-hay said:

I like to see both sides of the motorway 

By both sides do u mean both lanes ether side of you or traffic heading the other way or do you not know its just what you do 

12 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

People driving constantly below 70 in the outside lane really grates me, don’t have motorway here, so this is close as I get. 

Why do people do shit like that it baffles me yet its more common than driving the motorway or dual carriageway as it should be driven total clowns, even today on a different driving topic coming off a roundabout today I was sitting on the inside lane and some daft woman coming off decided to drift from the second lane straight into the lane I was in, if I hadnt braked they would have took the front off my car no apology just continued as if fuck all had happened oblivious to what was happening, fuck sake that's what mirrors are for

Edited by jcs

22 minutes ago, davy-hay said:

I like to see both sides of the motorway 

16 minutes ago, jcs said:

By both sides do u mean both lanes ether side of you or traffic heading the other way or do you not know its just what you do 

No answer just another halfwit 

11 minutes ago, jcs said:

Why do people do shit like that it baffles me yet its more common than driving the motorway or dual carriageway as it should be driven total clowns, even today on a different driving topic coming off a roundabout today I was sitting on the inside lane and some daft woman coming off decided to drift from the second lane straight into the lane I was in, if I hadnt braked they would have took the front off my car no apology just continued as if fuck all had happened oblivious to what was happening, fuck sake that's what mirrors are for

See that all the time, folk just seem oblivious to what they’re doing. 

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

See that all the time, folk just seem oblivious to what they’re doing. 

It's fuckin scarey did they pass their test if so what happened to make them think I don't need my mirrors, I've seen people going the wrong way round roundabout  WTF

Edited by jcs

9 hours ago, jcs said:

Why? I'm curious as to why so many people want to join an empty motorway and straight away jump to the middle lane when there's not a soul on the road, mostly doing 55 to 60 mph when it's a 70 mph speed limit, honestly apart from being fucking annoying when I have to leave the inside lane go out and round its dangerous,  I then return to the inside lane look in my mirror and the same arsehole hasnt took the hint as the get smaller and smaller in my mirror. by the way I'm not a speed freak  but I do sit at  70 mph when the road. Can somebody please explain 

Total and utter fannies...what I also notice while commuting on the M74 before it joins the M8 westbound, after the Kingston Bridge...almost every single car sitting in the 'fast lane', leaving the 'slow lane' completely empty.

Motorways are full of folk that haven't a clue how to drive 

On the odd occasion when I am driving any distance on a 3 lane motorway, I don't really have a problem sitting for a bit in the middle lane at 70+ if there's a lot of slower traffic on the inside lane. Most accidents on motorways are caused by changing lanes so it's safer to keep that to a minimum. 

I also try to pull into the middle lane when passing a junction to make it easier for vehicles to join the motorway. 

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

On the odd occasion when I am driving any distance on a 3 lane motorway, I don't really have a problem sitting for a bit in the middle lane at 70+ if there's a lot of slower traffic on the inside lane. Most accidents on motorways are caused by changing lanes so it's safer to keep that to a minimum. 

I also try to pull into the middle lane when passing a junction to make it easier for vehicles to join the motorway. 

I often sit in the outside lane at 70 to 75. Just doing my bit to try to discourage other folk from speeding.

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I often sit in the outside lane at 70 to 75. Just doing my bit to try to discourage other folk from speeding.

:-))  Nowt more satisfying than having someone drive right up your arse with flashing headlights, then pulling in just as they go to undertake you.

13 hours ago, jcs said:

I had some idiot hit me on roundabout, by them turning right on the outside lane (big 30-50 metre diameter roundabout ) - dangerous driving, and their insurance company said their defence was, they were in roundabout 1st (which they weren't )  - Driving 101  - Inside lane to turn right - so their insurance would not pay out - still thinking to take to civil court on principle 

Pet hate of mine. I do believe that the standard driving test now does not do enough to cover road sense, if we had a period of classroom work covering this and the highway code i think things would be better. We also need to include driving on a dual carriageway and motorway as standard. 

I also hate the cretins who think i should pull over or slow down to allow them to enter a dual carriageway or motorway, feck off. Driving in good visibility with their fog lights on, or sidelights and fogs when dark or even just main beam on all the time.

People who do not indicate their intentions, as a motorcycle instructor these cants really wind me up. I could go on about bad driving habits in this country (UK as a whole).

17 hours ago, jcs said:

My old man use to say that it was best avoiding spending time in the inside lanes as all the shite from lorries, buses or slow big vehicles use to accumulate there. No idea if that is true or not, and that was 40 yrs ago, but middle lane hoggers just annoy me also. 👍

Edited by shaggycoo

3 hours ago, Fish Supper said:

Pet hate of mine. I do believe that the standard driving test now does not do enough to cover road sense, if we had a period of classroom work covering this and the highway code i think things would be better. We also need to include driving on a dual carriageway and motorway as standard. 

I also hate the cretins who think i should pull over or slow down to allow them to enter a dual carriageway or motorway, feck off. Driving in good visibility with their fog lights on, or sidelights and fogs when dark or even just main beam on all the time.

People who do not indicate their intentions, as a motorcycle instructor these cants really wind me up. I could go on about bad driving habits in this country (UK as a whole).

I thought the law had changed last year which now allows for learner drivers to be allowed to learn motorway driving, I might be wrong though

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

You are allowed to drive in the middle lane to pass a line of other slower vehicles but you should return to the 1st (left hand lane) when your passed them that's legal its the halfwits that sit in the middle lane when there is no one else on the road the boil my piss, as  its dangerous driving, I remember the police some years ago saying they were going to crack down on roadhogs sitting in the middle lane but I've never heard or seen anybody being pulled for it