Strikers for March and beyond. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strikers for March and beyond.

Super_Scotlandfan

It's quite difficult to tell who our best strikers are and so many haven't had the game time to judge. Hopefully the below can shed some light on to this. Realise that goals and assists aren't everything but it's a good starting point to see who is on form. 

We seem to play with a centre forward with another directly behind. I've made two tables - one for centre forward and another for the second striker. Stats are from this season from all competitions (including internationals). Current internationals are highlighted in blue. 

The centre forwards are sorted by non-penalty goals per 90 mins. The second strikers are sorted by non-penalty goals and assists per 90 mins. 

For me Griffiths, Dykes, Christie and Fraser are must picks. Dykes is struggling for goals but he brings so much more compared to every other striker. 

Ideally we'd get Adams in the squad but he needs to commit 100% to Steve Clarke. 

Paterson, McBurnie and Burke will be lucky to retain their places in the squad and Shankland really should be replaced by Nisbet. Obviously Burke and McBurnie are playing at a higher level for a poor team but they really should be contributing more. Maybe they will in the run up to March. 

Think I'd call up one other second striker. Gauld seems to be performing best at a higher level than the rest - he'd be my choice. I didn't include Turnbull as I think he's challenging McGinn and Armstrong for the attacking midfielder role.  The MLS guys have good stats but difficult to know how good their league is and not sure if they will be available in March. 

Stats from fbref.com

Non Penalty Goals p90 Games Goals Assists Minutes Non Penalty Goals Goals p90 G or A p90 NP G or A p90
Griffiths 0.97 14 6 1 559 6 0.97 1.13 1.13
Nisbet 0.43 28 13 3 2309 11 0.51 0.62 0.55
Paterson 0.27 26 5 0 1666 5 0.27 0.27 0.27
Adams 0.24 18 4 4 1506 4 0.24 0.48 0.48
Shankland 0.22 21 4 1 1629 4 0.22 0.28 0.28
Dykes 0.11 32 9 2 2550 3 0.32 0.39 0.18
Burke 0.10 16 1 1 874 1 0.10 0.21 0.21
McBurnie 0.08 20 1 0 1129 1 0.08 0.08 0.08

Non Pen Goal or A p90 Games Goals Assists Minutes Non Penalty Goals Goals p90 G or A p90 NP G p90
Dembele 0.60 22 6 6 1799 6 0.30 0.6 0.30
Christie 0.49 35 8 10 2777 5 0.26 0.58 0.16
Russell 0.48 25 6 4 1890 6 0.29 0.48 0.29
Gauld 0.43 14 4 4 1244 2 0.29 0.58 0.14
Morgan 0.40 23 5 5 2031 4 0.22 0.44 0.18
Forrest 0.39 10 2 1 687 2 0.26 0.39 0.26
Fraser 0.35 15 2 1 765 2 0.24 0.35 0.24

9 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I see what you are doing there and it’s interesting but not all players are playing these positions for their club.   I would have dykes, Fraser as my front two,  squad positions for Christie, griffiths, perhaps Johnny Russel.

Yeah you're right. Not many clubs play the formation we do...no wingers and only one centre forward. 

Think there needs to be a Dykes replacement in your squad for height and physicality. Probably one of Nisbet/Burke/McBurnie/Paterson. 

We only play 1 upfront so Dykes, Nisbet, Griffiths & at most Shankland would be fine. 

McBurnie hasn’t played in over a month, has scored about 2 goals in 12 months & has generally played extremely poorly in his 15 goalless caps - let’s move on from him. It doesn’t matter that he cost £20M or that he runs about a lot. 

For a start, i'd stream-line it by taking out Dembele and Adams.

With our current system (with a false number 9) there's dozens of variables and options. McGinn could play upfront, so could McGregor and McTominay.

Dykes should be one of whose place is confirmed. He offers us something that we haven't had since Joe Jordan. He's an old school target man.

Edited by Taylor1996

24 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

With our current system (with a false number 9) there's dozens of variables and options. McGinn could play upfront, so could McGregor and McTominay.

Dykes should be one of whose place is confirmed. He offers us something that we haven't had since Joe Jordan. He's an old school target man.

I still have a feeling Naismith might be included as a direct back up for Dykes at the Euros (in preference to McBurnie) if we’re set on a particular system that relies on hold up play from a striker.  That said, Griffiths is also good as a lone striker, and if he’s looking reliable that might mean Naismith doesn’t go. I suppose Burke might also be a candidate. Griffiths can also be the support player with Dykes, as can about another half dozen players.

The world cup qualifiers, vital as they are, should also help resolve these matters. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Adams is a Scotland qualifying player and it gives a good base standard so we can compare to McBurnie and Burke. 

Dembele is also a Scotland qualifying player and probably should be considered if there's a lot on injuries or covid issues. He's done well this season and will likely get a move in to a better standard of league. 

I don't doubt some of our better midfielders could play as one of the two forwards but we obviously need to call up traditional strikers playing there for their club. The players you mention will probably be needed in midfield or in McTominay's case, in defence. 

Agree on Dykes. He's the one striker that needs to be called up. Gives as an out ball either as a target man or runs into channels. 

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I still have a feeling Naismith might be included as a direct back up for Dykes at the Euros (in preference to McBurnie) if we’re set on a particular system that relies on hold up play from a striker.  That said, Griffiths is also good as a lone striker, and if he’s looking reliable that might mean Naismith doesn’t go. I suppose Burke might also be a candidate. Griffiths can also be the support player with Dykes, as can about another half dozen players.

The world cup qualifiers, vital as they are, should also help resolve these matters. 

Regardless of age, I'd trust Naismith over McBurnie, Burke, Nisbet and Shankland. In terms of otherdox strikers, Naismith should definitely be in contention. Along with Griffiths.

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Adams is a Scotland qualifying player and it gives a good base standard so we can compare to McBurnie and Burke. 

Dembele is also a Scotland qualifying player and probably should be considered if there's a lot on injuries or covid issues. He's done well this season and will likely get a move in to a better standard of league. 

I don't doubt some of our better midfielders could play as one of the two forwards but we obviously need to call up traditional strikers playing there for their club. The players you mention will probably be needed in midfield or in McTominay's case, in defence. 

Agree on Dykes. He's the one striker that needs to be called up. Gives as an out ball either as a target man or runs into channels. 

I'm not denying he's a good player. He's like a more mobile Steven Fletcher. However, I don't see him turning his back on England.

I don't know. On his day he's EPL class (as a second striker), but I have my doubts if he can do it consistently.

Agreed. I don't think the defence will take care of itself, though, in time. That'll give Clarke scope to move McTominay forward... Hopefully in time for Euro 2020.

Definitely.

15 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Anybody who thinks Naismith should be getting National team games nowadays before Shankland or Nisbet needs a few of those confused emojis that the fatman gives Dandydunn and I. 😄

This is about 3 games to get out of a group. We play with a target man. Nisbet or Shankland can’t bully defenders and hold the ball up like Naismith can. I saw enough in the cup final (in terms of his fitness) to suggest he could be used as back up for Dykes in a tournament situation. 

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

This is about 3 games to get out of a group. We play with a target man. Nisbet or Shankland can’t bully defenders and hold the ball up like Naismith can. I saw enough in the cup final (in terms of his fitness) to suggest he could be used as back up for Dykes in a tournament situation. 

A one off game against a terrible Celtic side shows nothing. There’s a reason why he is playing lower league football. I really liked Naismith for Scotland. He would run all day for the jersey but his time has passed. 

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

Fair enough, but I’m fairly sure Naismith himself thinks he’s up to it. 

Nothing wrong with that of course. Every player no matter how far down a pecking order should always be champing at the bit. His attitude was always top notch. 

53 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If you think Naismith should be picked ahead of Nisbet you need your head examined 

50 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If you think Naismith should be picked ahead of Nisbet you need your head examined 

Nisbet is a talent with a bright international future and I expect him to be in the WC qualifier squads next season. He’s currently playing as a second striker, so try and follow the argument. There are 3 cup finals ahead. I think if you asked fellow pros who they’d rather get 15 minutes from in the central striker position in these games, there would only be one answer. 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Nisbet is a talent with a bright international future and I expect him to be in the WC qualifier squads next season. He’s currently playing as a second striker, so try and follow the argument. There are 3 cup finals ahead. I think if you asked fellow pros who they’d rather get 15 minutes from in the central striker position in these games, there would only be one answer. 

I see what you’re saying - I just think Naismith is basically past it at that level now, the same as Scott Brown.

After Dykes, Griffiths, Nisbet & Shankland - I would say Naismith is about next, he’s before McBurnie for sure for me anyway.