Another one bites the dust. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another one bites the dust.

20 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Gordo would certainly pull in a few more votes than Leonard, mainly from the Tories though.

That's true, he probably would - not that out-doing Leonard is much of an achievement!

The media in Scotland adore Goggsy too (for some reason).

Gordon Brown would see being Branch Office manager as being beneath him.  He'd also never accept sitting in opposition to the SNP.

I suspect he sees his future role as being some sort of figurehead for the No side in any future IndyRef who can be wheeled out to opine but is never questioned - Gordon really doesn't like to be questioned.

I also suspect that his standing with the Scottish electorate isn't as high as the media and UK establishment and commentariat think it is.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think Monica Lennon is in favour of a second referendum, or at least allowing the Scottish Parliament to decide when/if we have one. Not that it makes much difference what she thinks, right enough.

Ach, she'll change her tune on that sooner or later, they all do. It wasn't that long ago since Keir Starmer said he wasn't opposed to another independence referendum being held, but that's not what he's saying now.

I’ve not paid much attention to Lennon but she comes across relatively well I think. I can imagine her getting in ahead of Sarwar.  

The sneering, aggressive approach that Sarwar would bring is very much yesterday’s approach. Didn’t work for Murphy, won’t work for Sarwar.  

Seeing people buying into a softer, more compassionate, leadership approach (like Sturgeon and NZ prime minister) seems to be what a decent % of the population are after. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they think Sarwar is the person to answer their problems though. 

I've heard that they have changed their voting system for this leadership election. They are going for "one man, one vote" approach. That one man just happens to be Starmer. Monica will need to change her stance on a referendum pretty smartish before he casts that vote.

23 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think Monica Lennon is in favour of a second referendum, or at least allowing the Scottish Parliament to decide when/if we have one. Not that it makes much difference what she thinks, right enough.

Well it would matter quite a lot if she were to become leader of Scottish Labour.

She is at least expressing a modicum of sense saying she'd not stand in the way of democracy over IndyRef2 and also is stating a desire to see Scottish Labour to cut ties with the Westminster party. That is the only way forward.

It was funny at the weekend listening to Jack McConnell on TV. He was insisting that Scottish Labour needs to make itself more appealing to the Scottish voters but went on to take an anti-independence stance. What an idiot. Straight away alienating around 50% of Scottish electorate.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well it would matter quite a lot if she were to become leader of Scottish Labour.

She is at least expressing a modicum of sense saying she'd not stand in the way of democracy over IndyRef2 and also is stating a desire to see Scottish Labour to cut ties with the Westminster party. That is the only way forward.

It was funny at the weekend listening to Jack McConnell on TV. He was insisting that Scottish Labour needs to make itself more appealing to the Scottish voters but went on to take an anti-independence stance. What an idiot. Straight away alienating around 50% of Scottish electorate.

Maybe she hasn't had a close look at the finances?

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If there's a will there's a way. And its definitely the way forward for Scottish Labour. Heck Ken Livingstone said on an Election Night show years ago that Scottish Labour should cut the ties with big brother.

He wouldn't have seen SLs finances either. Without London Labour, Scottish Labour are bankrupt.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

He wouldn't have seen SLs finances either. Without London Labour, Scottish Labour are bankrupt.

And without cutting the ties with Westminster Labour they are totally screwed anyway so no point continuing on in that guise is there? From reading around her plan is to get the party funded by trade unions etc.

The two options are stayed tied to Westminster and be funded but flop miserably in Scotland to the point where they are perhaps fourth or fifth biggest party in the Scotland whilst having to tow the party line at Westminster or cut the ties and risk not getting required funding but see a rise in support if she holds true to her word on stance on independence.